Author Topic: WSL Founder's Cup at the Surf Ranch - What's your take?  (Read 366 times)

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 775
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.13.3 Mac OS X 10.13.3
  • Browser:
  • Safari 11.0.3 Safari 11.0.3
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
WSL Founder's Cup at the Surf Ranch - What's your take?
« on: May 08, 2018, 08:03:42 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• A couple of takeaways on this for me:

1. I like the team format - it was a fun change!
    2. For future live broadcast TV use, this is perfect. No waiting period - heck, no waiting for sets to come in!
    3. I love the wave, but I found myself missing the unpredictability of the ocean.

What did y'all think?
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline RayG

• Hoon
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 189
    • Soft hated: 10
      • View Profile
    Re: WSL Founder's Cup at the Surf Ranch - What's your take?
    « Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 09:03:25 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Meh... might ruffle feathers, but it’s a “novelty wave” at best. A freak of a novelty wave, but would I turn down an invitation? Heck, no... Everyone wants consistency in a contest to even the playing field, but even the best days at places like Malibu, Kirra, even NSSS has subtle differences in every wave that force riders to think on the fly and adjust to that little chop or section. Being able to map every ride with a pre-planned routine like a figure skater or gymnast makes it seem, to me, a bit watered down. Yes, it’s great for TV, and Jumbotrons give spectators a closeup view of the action so advertisers like it.

However, seeing the new wave in Waco, TX be a bit more “natural” looking with it’s various shapes, wedges, ramps and size would be more interesting venue.

As part of the WSL? Meh on that as well.

An annual specialty team event like the Ryder Cup or similar makes it a bit more interesting, but should not affect standings. Which I think this was, correct?

What I can see is a “surge” in these attempts as the tech improves. Some might prosper if they can get the costs down for the masses, but there may also be an elitist class develop that can afford $200 an hour or to join a “Country Club” model like the one that was proposed at Randall’s Island.

The variations that Mother Nature creates are part of this “lifestyle”, so for me, it certainly is missing ‘something’. But that is likely due to the 50+ years of dodging those variations with an attention span longer than 3.6 seconds to able to read those same variations.

It certainly is MILES above any previous attempt and for that KS and his team deserve all the accolades of the public and press, and like I said I wouldn’t turn down a chance to go... if it was free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sent from Coleco Vision NEC Zilog Z80A CPU

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 92
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: WSL Founder's Cup at the Surf Ranch - What's your take?
    « Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 09:25:58 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Different type of pressure for competitors.. kinda like halfpipe in snowboarding which is cool.. only watched a couple surfers

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"get your f**cking facts straight and quit being an idiot"

christian fletcher