Author Topic: Who's the kook? (Vid - click to view!)  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Straight Dave

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 22
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 32.0.1700.76 Chrome 32.0.1700.76
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who's the kook? (Vid - click to view!)
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 11:29:40 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Man, both are really negligent and have no business surfing around others. Gun to my head, I'd have to say that the fact that the guy up and riding had so much wave to work with and still squared the paddler up and T-boned him/her, has to tip the scales to him being the bigger kook. I get what you all are saying about his awful skills as evidenced by his brown trout bottom turn, but you see him climb the face and then set a line, which leads me to believe that even his modest amount of skill could have easily allowed him to avoid the paddler. It looks almost intentional. Maybe they had words earlier and the rider just decided F it; I'm going to prove a point.

Hard to defend the COMPLETE lack of effort to get out of the way on the part of the paddler, though. Not only is he not paddling when he comes into the frame, but there's no disturbed water surface or any other indication that he'd been paddling prior to coming into the frame. Where the hell was this filmed? I need to cross it off my list of places to paddle out.

Offline seb

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 99
    • Soft hated: 5
    • Mac OS X 10.9.1 Mac OS X 10.9.1
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 32.0.1700.77 Chrome 32.0.1700.77
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 11:42:06 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I see the rider turning his head back twice...first to look at the guys that also paddled for the wave, second when he "sets" his line (or attempts a top turn) to check his spray...by the time he looks forward again, BOOM....he never saw the buoy in front of him.
    it's 6AM, have you seen a donkey?

Offline ankleslapper

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • Mac OS X 10.6.8 Mac OS X 10.6.8
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.1.9 Safari 5.1.9
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 07:12:07 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I think the paddler was frozen -- stunned by how bad the rider is. (you know he thinks he threw a gigantic top turn)  When paddler came to, it was too late -- so he/she bailed.  Better to slice foam than flesh, I guess.
    the A is a small price to pay

Offline Årne Longbörgenssen

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 311
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Gil wouldn't go....
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 07:28:16 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Here's why the rider is the bigger kook: because he either didn't have the skill to avoid the paddler, or did have the skill and didn't try.
    The energy contained in one kilogram of thorium
    equals four thousand tons of coal

Offline waterboy

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 35
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 26.0 Firefox 26.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: January 27, 2014, 03:42:15 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • What rule says it's ok to run out of control way out onto the shoulder and run over a stationary person in the water???  :o
    Seriously id flip is someone had that much wave to work with and that much time to avoid and then basically squared me up and cut me in two

I agree he could have avoided the paddler  (if he was good enough to).  I dont think its that drastic.  things happen fast.  the guy was on the wave,  now we are supposed to insist he surfs it impeccably rather than get out of his way?   the rule favors the latter.  its the surfers wave to do whatever he wants on it.  even if that means kook out.  its a harsh truth.  i agree, there is a grey area, but i prefer hard lines on rules.  we cant have exceptions.  you either give the surfer the wave or not.  agreed?  i mean, how do you explain this to newbies.  "always go for the white water, but its ok for you to paddle on someones wave if you think they are a good surfer and can surf around you?".    no.   more like always go for the white water.  full stop.  yes no?
    « Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:50:42 PM by waterboy »
    Jesus is coming, look busy.

Offline Straight Dave

• Regular (Silver)
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.1 Safari 5.1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #35 on: January 27, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • What rule says it's ok to run out of control way out onto the shoulder and run over a stationary person in the water???  :o
    Seriously id flip is someone had that much wave to work with and that much time to avoid and then basically squared me up and cut me in two

I agree he could have avoided the paddler  (if he was good enough to).  I dont think its that drastic.  things happen fast.  the guy was on the wave,  now we are supposed to insist he surfs it impeccably rather than get out of his way?   the rule favors the latter.  its the surfers wave to do whatever he wants on it.  even if that means kook out.  its a harsh truth.  i agree, there is a grey area, but i prefer hard lines on rules.  we cant have exceptions.  you either give the surfer the wave or not.  agreed?  i mean, how do you explain this to newbies.  "always go for the white water, but its ok for you to paddle on someones wave if you think they are a good surfer and can surf around you?".    no.   more like always go for the white water.  full stop.  yes no?

I respectfully disagree. Surfing etiquette does not trump basic human decency. That is to say, if you can avoid inflicting major bodily harm on your fellow man, kook or otherwise, you do so even if that means you have to straighten out, kick out prematurely, or do any number of other things that avoid colliding with said person. Anyone who thinks its OK to run someone over without making an effort not to has obviously never suffered a fin gash. It sucks to see a good wave go by that you had a good line on but surfboards can hurt people... Badly. I'm not saying the paddler was right... But he didn't deserve to get blasted like that either.
    « Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:38:10 PM by Straight Dave »

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 93
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #36 on: January 27, 2014, 09:12:36 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

Could you imagine this ridiculous mindset at a place like rincon during the latest run of swell out there? There would be a hundred people run over easy...surfers change there path/line constantly to avoid other surfers..it's even beneficial sometimes to use said paddler as a marker to initiate turns and give them a shower of spray

Offline CJsurf

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 49
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 32.0.1700.76 Chrome 32.0.1700.76
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 07:39:13 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • To say paddle for the whitewater in this instance doesn't make sense.  Did you watch the same video I was watching?  The paddler was so far out on the shoulder in this case that there was no way to paddle for the whitewater. 

Offline Smith St. Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 37
    • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 32.0.1700.102 Chrome 32.0.1700.102
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: February 03, 2014, 06:31:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • New vid for this thread.  Yes we know the guy on SUP who doesn't make it is the kook.  But then again he does have position and the balls to commit.  Tell me how Jaime Mitchel makes that?

Offline Straight Dave

• Regular (Silver)
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.1 Safari 5.1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #39 on: February 03, 2014, 08:48:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • New vid for this thread.  Yes we know the guy on SUP who doesn't make it is the kook.  But then again he does have position and the balls to commit.  Tell me how Jaime Mitchel makes that?

Not being a big wave Hellman, I can only go off of what I've heard them say when interviewed, and that is typically something like "when you decide that you're going and you're that deep, you're totally committed and can't back down". seems so dangerous to me. A board the size of those guns being thrown by the lip of a wave at Mavericks could seriously F you up.

Offline Patches O'houlihan

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 77
    • Soft hated: 7
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: February 03, 2014, 11:24:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • This thread is too funny

Offline CJsurf

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 49
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 32.0.1700.102 Chrome 32.0.1700.102
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 06:52:34 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Clearly the SUPer is the kook as they have no rights in a lineup of surfers.

On a separate note I don't know how these big wave guys do it going two and three at a time on a wave.  To me that seems more dangerous than the wave itself.

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 322
    • Soft hated: 12
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 10:03:30 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

Does it change things if the guy on the SUP is Jeff Clark?  Not positive its him, but I know he favors the SUP out there these days.
    "paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous