Author Topic: Who's been caught in a rip while swimming?  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Mark E

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 57
  • Soft hated: 4
  • Mac OS X 10.7.4 Mac OS X 10.7.4
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.1.7 Safari 5.1.7
    • View Profile
Who's been caught in a rip while swimming?
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • As I spend more and more time in the ocean with my daughter I find myself wondering how she will cope in a rip. She is becoming a strong swimmer, yesterday she swam the length of the Mccarren pool (100meters) with no problem.  I have no idea if she will panic in a rip when she sees the the beach moving away from her.

We got caught in a mild rip in Jerz last year and I was able to get her to swim out of it without actually telling her what was going on.
    "Take care of your knees, you'll miss them when they are gone"

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 322
    • Soft hated: 12
    • Mac OS X 10.5.8 Mac OS X 10.5.8
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.6 Safari 5.0.6
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: Who's been caught in a rip while swimming?
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i have been caught in many, a result of surfin without a leash.  Why you didnt tell your daughter what was going on seems odd to me, that strikes me as the perfect opportunity for a lesson learned.
    "paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

Offline Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 284
    • Soft hated: 24
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.1 Safari 5.1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 12:39:14 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Snapped board surfing 2 nd reef yards . Literally 20 yards from the beach in channel between yards and I guess on outside Phantoms and inside up the point a little Freddy land . Getting dark , like an idiot really thought I could beat that rip end up out at Phantoms , too prideful to ask for help from Tow team practicing for real Tow day . Ended up having to swim around out the back towards sunset point and body surf in though the bone yard . This was after surfing all day and in a spring suit . Considered ditching the spring suit and swimming naked as it was really causing a lot o drag despite the buoyancy .
    Long story boring I made it in just before dark to my cousins smoking some pakalolo under the palms on the bench at back yards to the tune of " was wondering where you were " .
    This was my 2nd trip to North shore and first time really trying to surf some bigger waves .
    Mind you I was a competitive swimmer for 13 years . The rip / ocean is nothing to be fooled with . Foolish pride on my part to think I could swim against that rip .
    Other lesson learned is if you going to try on go on a West set on the first wave better make damn sure you don't puss out and catch it otherwise you end up with a story like this one potentially .

On a side note I do a fare share of ocean swimming and always wear fins now just in case I cramp , pull a muscle , shark etc it helps me get out and on land easier .

Offline Mark E

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 12:44:33 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i have been caught in many, a result of surfin without a leash.  Why you didnt tell your daughter what was going on seems odd to me, that strikes me as the perfect opportunity for a lesson learned.

My wife started to panic a little, and I didn't want my daughter to panic too. I felt it was important to be a calm things down. I just gave my wife a hard stare and said"Hey! let's swim over here".

Offline Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 284
    • Soft hated: 24
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.1 Safari 5.1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 12:46:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Oh yeah I think generally we all look for the rip either be it by a jetty or a high point on the beach where it's back washing and causing a sea puss aka " rip " in order to access the surf . Rips can be your friend , a lot of reef breaks have them running in the channel or even in the impact zone pulling you towards the channel ( although some pull you deeper and get you pounded more ) .or your worst nightmare .

Offline Mark E

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 01:01:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I am thinking more like just when you are swimming. I mean have you ever been at the beach, hanging out in the shorey and been suddenly pulled out by a rip?

Offline seacow

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 11
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 14.0.1 Firefox 14.0.1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 02:05:12 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Lots of times as a kid getting pulled out in rips.  One in particular in Nantucket where ocean met the sound was a little hairy.  We grew up bodysurfing, boogie and surfing from before i can remember.  Dad always taught us you dont fight it and how to get out.  Its a great and very important lesson for groms. 

Offline bones

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 42
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 13.0.1 Firefox 13.0.1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 02:07:05 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • At 9 years old at a private NW beach near Fajardo PR named El Convento, where my cousins and I were poaching some fun.  I got caught in what seemed like a ride in Coney Island that took me 2-3 city blocks out and then stopped  ( now know thats where the sand bar drops off and it becomes 20 fee deep and colder).  My cousins were jumping up and down diagonally from me, so I just swam back.   Ignorance is bliss.

Offline jscottk

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 132
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.2 Safari 5.0.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 09:50:46 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Florida all the time as a kid.
    I didn't even know you called them rips.
    I just thought that's how it works
    Swim walk back to eat marshmallows ...
    ..Whore it to death then sell the corpse on Craigslist... (used to be Ebay but eff Ebay and Paypal)

Offline Mark E

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 11:07:36 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Florida all the time as a kid.
    I didn't even know you called them rips.
    I just thought that's how it works
    Swim walk back to eat marshmallows ...

But you knew not to swim against it right. How do you decide wether to swim left or right? Did you recognize the edge of the rip even at that young age?

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 07:43:54 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • you can swim either left or right, it doesnt matter either direction will bring you out of it.  The City of Long Beach flipped the bill for some pretty informative posters that are on all beaches now, they explain what a rip is and how to get out of it, both in english and spanish.  I agree with the others that posted, if you grow up as a beach rat on the east coast rips are an unavoidable part of growing up and as mentioned when your young it a free ride not time to fear for your life. The rips are easy enough to spot from the beach or the water, look for the brown sand outflow that your rip, as the colors get lighter and more aqua that the edge of the rip.  The water will always be turbulent in a rip, even on a sheet glass day, which makes it easier to spot.  Also, although your not from long beach, Im going to bet that if you went to the lifeguard station on national blvd and asked the senior lifeguards for a tutorial on rips for you and your daughter, they would not hesitate to do it. 

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 07:48:49 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • "paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 7
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.1 Safari 5.1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 09:01:27 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sandy Beach, PR. Few years ago. Foolishly took my girlfriend out for a lesson on a POS popout after the wind was on it and the tide was full. Nothing was coming together, so I said we should go in. I asked her if she wanted me to take the board in and whether she was alright to make it on her own (she was a lifeguard as a teen - at a lake.) I paddle the board in and turn around. She's five yards further out than the fifteen where I had left her. I ask her again if she is alright. This time she says no. STUPIDEST moment of my life ensues - I jump in without the board and swim out to her. As I realize she is going under, it dawns on, "Oh brown trout, we are caught in a rip." Sure, I know how to get out, but I don't know how to get the two of us out (she later told me and I have taken First Aid classes on how to swim someone in.) I am alternately diving under her and pushing her up and scanning the beach for assistance - it's PR, no guards on the beach, and we are well north of where the families are. I see a couple on the beach - he too had been giving his girl a lesson earlier but gave up. I wave and call. He sees us, grabs the board and paddles out to us. We get my GF on the board, and pause - now all three of us are in the rip watching our hero's GF on the beach getting smaller and smaller.

Suddenly, my foot brushes reef. We are out of the rip and drifting north into Antonio's. I go under and push them in, two, three, four times until we are on the beach. Thank the gentlemen profusely as he wanders back to his girlfriend who is pale as a ghost. I pat my GF on the back as she pukes saltwater on the sand. Should've known better. Should never have left the board behind.
    « Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:05:04 AM by tummee »

Offline Mark E

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 09:41:05 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks for the info Onefin. The above post represents my big fear. I know my daughter can tread water for as long at it takes to ride the rip to the outside and then swim around but I just don't know if she will panic. She is a real water baby, loves everything about the water but she is not a beach rat since we live in the city.

The ocean feels like a safe place until it isn't and that's when you realize you are on your own.