Author Topic: When the no drop-in rule does not apply  (Read 1223 times)

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 97
  • Soft hated: 8
    • View Profile
    • Email
When the no drop-in rule does not apply
« on: July 31, 2005, 09:19:41 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Last week i surfed a few days at El Porto in LA. The waves were around waist with a couple bigger sets, the shape was not good, though there were some corners if you picked the right ones. last sunday by mid morning there were a couple hundred people out, but it is a long beach with many random peaks. after catching a few rides i started to notice that the no drop-in rule simply did not apply at this spot on this day. there were tons of newbies, old and young alike, and 3 separate guys getting groups together to teach. it was like everyone was so laid back that they didn't seem to care. on some of the better sets some held back on dropping in but otherwise it was 3-5 people to a wave. and everyone was so stoked that it was pretty contagious so it didn't really bother me either. in fact, on one of the better waves of the day i got a solid chester with some open face and had enough speed that when a kid on a foam board went head over heals in front of me i was able to go right around and still get a good ride. after I kicked out a guy paddled up to me and said, "did you hit that kid? be careful." he was not being tough, just obviously concerned. so it hit me right then that there must be some spoken or unspoken rule that this beach is for kids and newbies on small days. I am at best a mediocore surfer and almost felt like i shouldn't have been out there because i was too good.

so, i've never experience such a beach in LI, but was wondering if some of you who have lived elsewhere no of beachs that are reallly not for people who can already surf?

Offline moses_is_crowded

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 3
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    Re: When the no drop-in rule does not apply
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 09:37:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • when I was out in cali  it seemed liked dropping in was no big deal...it happened a lot...i couldn't get used to it.  I think in santa cruz there is a spot right near steamers that is strictly beginners and laid back....its in a cove...a lot of the spots I surfed in cali seemed pretty laid back aqnd beginner like...san clemente pier, san luis obispo...even trestles had a nice vibe but not beginner like....I didn't catch any solid swell there and that might be all the difference....the biggest it got was head high

hawaii there is wakiki and other spots....but I got my ass kicked right next to wakiki so watch out anywhere you go!

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 10:25:47 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • you got your assed kicked by waves or people?

Offline surfnli

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
    • Soft hated: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 10:27:37 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • mic--cowell's?

come out east, i'll show you a mal only spot where the drop in rule doesn't apply

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 10:31:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • mic--cowell's?

come out east, i'll show you a mal only spot where the drop in rule doesn't apply

what does mal stand for?

Offline moses_is_crowded

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 11:10:29 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • this huge dude threw me a beatdown....he paddled up behind me and literally knowcked me out for a second or two.....i seriously did not do anything wrong (that I know of)....i did not drop in...we paddled for the same wave and I let him have it but I don't think he liked that so when he came back out wham fist to the back of my head....no words just his fist....when I gathered myself I was so shocked and dazed I just said"what did I do?" ...I then got a big F you and paddled in before I really got a beatdown....pretty humiliating...it was a friendly spot with a lot of tourists

Offline Some people call me Maurice

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - LIsurf615
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 11:24:07 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • thats a little strange man. and it wasnt a local spot with no outsiders or anything?

Offline moses_is_crowded

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 11:38:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i know it sounds weird...it sounds like something is off....that i'm a kook or went somewhere i shouldn't but its not the case....

i cAN'T remeber the name of the spot...there is large jetty that runs with the beach in wakiki....jump off there and paddle straight out to a long right ....tons of tourists and longboards and people who paddle over from queens...

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 22
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 12:02:46 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • To the left of queens or to the right?  Probably canoes.. either way - sorry about your bad experience - kinda sounds like a case of mistaken identity.

Offline moses_is_crowded

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 12:05:51 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • facing the ocean to the left of queens I believe....straight out from the duke statue is queens  i believe...left of the duke statue for sure in front off a large jetty.....long rights very short lefts quite a ways out

thanks...it was a long time ago...i was young and my pride was hurt more than anything....it was very public ejection....

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 22
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 12:13:12 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • cunhas..  pretty tough eviction though..

Offline sir_schadenfreude

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Have you seen him?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 05:28:35 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Last week i surfed a few days at El Porto in LA. The waves were around waist with a couple bigger sets, the shape was not good, though there were some corners if you picked the right ones. last sunday by mid morning there were a couple hundred people out, but it is a long beach with many random peaks. after catching a few rides i started to notice that the no drop-in rule simply did not apply at this spot on this day.

I was there last week, monday afternoon, and I noticed the same thing.  It was high tide, and it was hard as hell not to get dumped on your a$$ on the dry sand a couple of seconds after takeoff. In and out was the only way to survive.  CROWDED?!  Guys were spaced out every five feet as far as I could see in both directions.  Met a nice guy in the lineup who was stoked to meet someone from NYC and gave me the rundown on the local spots.

I think people are more mellow when they're hitting it every day on the way home from work and not checking the Internet every 20 minutes for two weeks waiting for a makeable wave to sneak through.  That's not to say there aren't any d-bags in LA...  ::)

btw mal=malibu=long board, right?

jscottk

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 05:38:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • El Porto: Same situation when I was there, smalller less people.  I was expecting the stink eye get out of here treatment, instead someone told me where to park without meters.

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 08:59:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • sir grind, i missed ya.. i had to surf in the morning, even with that way low tide.

yeah, mellow is an understatement that is why i was wondering if this beach was known as a party-wave beginers beach. it certainly wasn't the best surf, pretty walled up. it got me thinking how nice it would be if all the newbies here had a long stretch of beach like that to surf at.

Offline surfnli

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
    • Soft hated: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 09:22:14 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • btw mal=malibu=long board, right?

yeah.