Author Topic: *WARNING* PLEASE READ & Pass the word!  (Read 3654 times)

Psycho

*WARNING* PLEASE READ & Pass the word!
« on: August 09, 2005, 07:01:45 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Im a pretty relaxed guy, Im nice to everyone I meet & am willing to help about anyone if I can but yesterday I blew my top.

If you know someone who is a beginner & they want to come to learn surfing, PLEASE DO NOT PADDLE THEM INTO THE MAIN PEAK!! Yesterday as happy & I enjoyed a few knee slappers, there was a small mass of beginners further down the beach. As they saw us catching the waves off the jetty & havin a good time, they preceeded to paddle over to us & suround us in a horde that was unbarable to surf in. Every wave I attempted, someone was pushing some newby into the wave in front of me despite any hoots I gave to let the know I was there & untill one collision that nearly injured this poor girl, I moved to where they all originated for a session by myself till Happy left & the waves started to pick up. there were couples who were learnming together that were all over the place, people who can not surf, teaching people to surf. After happy left it started to pick up off the jetty & they were getting tossed like salads so I went back over & tried to be cool & take my time but as I was sitting in the "line up" boards were shooting at me cuz they couldnt balance enough to sit still & Finally the last draw was this other guy who could actually somewhat surf who kept waving his girlfriend over who could barely paddle she gets into the lineup & flops around & he started pushing her into waves, i ran her over & it was his fualt. I blew up, I yelled really loud, "If you cannot fuqin surf, get the fuq off the main peak, move down there!!" I pointed to empty section closest to the beach & at the end of the surf beach.

Then I said, "And you! bringin these beginers to the main peak? you get no more waves!"  he just shrugged & made a stink face but I did just what I said untill Yun came out, & it relaxed me to see a friend in the water. that Mofo didnt get 1 wave for at least 2 hours. i now thats harsh but we have to start sticking together, we have start giving people a sense that if your gonna surf, be respectfull, do research, learn the culture before you just run out smiling at the picturespue idea of what you think surfing is.

Seriously we need to Organize for the betterment of the surfing experience, for the safety of our bodies & our equiptment. Maybe seriously start up a new Club through Gotham surf or create a new one, Like "The Rock Ness Monsters". Theres already a reputation where we surf, we need to uphold it. Im not saying be a-holes & beat people but here is the Plan, Ive said it before but if ya didnt hear it here it is.

If your a Local, A known bungalocal or a regular at the NS3,
    Before you get into the water, Take an assesment or inventory of who you know out in the line up or the beach. make a point to paddle out & give each other a heads up. let everyone know your there.

Be cool to each other 1rst, try to share waves & be respectfull of each other & of those who live there and/or people who have surfed there for many years before you. (people of different board types, share with your friends dont hog from your family)

Take care of your family, keep an eye out for em in times of trouble. They may need someone to notice if theyre in danger & cannot speak up to get help.

If there are people acting out of line, take a few moments to congragate in the water, ditch the waves for 5 minutes & form a circle or whatever just get all the boys together & have a discussion,
    EG.
    "Guys listen up, this guy is dropping in on everyone & givin a bunch of stink eye, get the guys together & sit together. Im gonna go ask him to stop."
    Everyone stays together in a group while someone politely askes this person, "Excuse me, there are rulkes at every beach, you are really kinda not using them, can you please stop being so aggro, & surf according to the 1000 year old rules of the beach, if not please get out, relax."
    If he says No or F U, then say, "look, its everyone here whose getting mad, you see that wall of people over there watching this conversation? (pointing at all of us as we wave at him with smug faces) they are all waiting to see how this conversation goes, so please take notice that there are people here who surf here everyday & your pissing them off. Im just asking niceley, surf cool or go home."  then paddle away, if the guy continues every one throws up blocks, no more waves for that guy.
    Simple. I believe seeing a group of people staring from a close distance will be enough to get him thinking to himself, crap, theres a bunch here who could ruin my whole day, I better chill. For beginners, tell them to please move down, have fun & do research on the net about the rules of the waters & surfings culture, not just the billabong ads & movies but the line up rules. They will listen.

Show as much Aloha to people as possable to those who act respectfull, beginners or not.

Theres too many new people showing up & taking over. people who cant even surf or people with mediocre skills ruling over veteran surfers.  No ones doing anything. Its up to us to restore some kind of order & make our surfing experience a good one before the frickin masses get worse & people think its a joke. Its already getting bad. I believe if we follow the 5 steps above there wont be any need for violence or spitefullness but to be honest & i know alotta locals wil be mad at me for this but, Theyre always talkin trash online & to us but never say squat when a posse of Jersey cars pull up & they take over the line up, or if theres someone no one knows droppin in on people. Locals please except the fact theres Bungalocals now, the Local surfer is out numbered, theyre getting robbed becuase of that. Locals, bungas & regulars who have surfed here for years need to start sticking together & regulating. take back the line up so you all have a say & we all surf for the better. iF WE DONT WE WILL LOOSE THIS BEACH COMPLETELY TO STRANGERS. (its almost there)

Thanks & I hope I havent offended anyone.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 07:14:18 PM by Psycho »

Offline Årne Longbörgenssen

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 310
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Gil wouldn't go....
      • View Profile
    The energy contained in one kilogram of thorium
    equals four thousand tons of coal

Offline PlainYogurt

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - Jdogg6387
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: *WARNING* PLEASE READ & Pass the word!
    « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 08:07:38 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i think u answered ur whole story...i read the first couple of sentences.....You have the word beginners and main peak in ur post....BUT, its KNEE SLAPPERS...dam spongers

Psycho

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 08:14:12 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Read the whole thing weiner for a face!

Offline krut

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 08:16:36 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • winter is coming winter is coming.

I really do prefer summer to winter. but now I've got something to look forward to.

can't wait.

Psycho

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 08:29:26 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yeah but I dont know if everyone remembers, last 2 winters the line ups have been getting crowded too. People from other places coming in & taking over spots like "the Muff", a bunch of jersey guys came & totaly took over a few spots.  some are cool but alot just come block & get in the way. I dont care if ya rip or suck just so everyones being cool. ya know?

Soon winter will be like summer if nothings done. i know alotta people last years that came out of the water say, "WTF, I thought winters were our time, now theres a crowd?"

I know yall aint reading the whole post.
    « Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 08:31:57 AM by Psycho »

Offline boyeee

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • ...feelin' great since '78
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 08:39:53 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • you should have someone paint open oozing sores all over your body with makeup or something and go to a barber shop and get a bag full of human hair and start dropping clumps of hair all around you like its falling out of your head... paddle out in the lineup and start cursing to yourself and scratching and dumping hair everywhere - i promise you will have any lineup to yourself!!

team freeloader!

happy

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 08:53:15 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i didn't think it was that bad yesterday, more funny. "take your girlfriend surfing day." but i agree with psycho that things need to be said. i though it was weird that the guy was waving his gf over when she couldn't even stay on her board. i think a firm "No beginners on the main peak" is appropriate. that's all you gotta say as long as you say it firmly (and have back up). it was knee slappers but the jetty was working a little and you want to maximize that, not drop in on top of some chick lying on her board floundering.

there's this guy who got in my way yesterday who had done so last week and i like that he exiled himself as punishment. no discussion, he just went to the proverbial corner. hahahahaha.

Offline Årne Longbörgenssen

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 310
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Gil wouldn't go....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 09:09:15 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The energy contained in one kilogram of thorium
    equals four thousand tons of coal

Psycho

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 09:18:47 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i didn't think it was that bad yesterday, more funny. "take your girlfriend surfing day." but i agree with psycho that things need to be said. i though it was weird that the guy was waving his gf over when she couldn't even stay on her board. i think a firm "No beginners on the main peak" is appropriate. that's all you gotta say as long as you say it firmly (and have back up). it was knee slappers but the jetty was working a little and you want to maximize that, not drop in on top of some chick lying on her board floundering.

there's this guy who got in my way yesterday who had done so last week and i like that he exiled himself as punishment. no discussion, he just went to the proverbial corner. hahahahaha.

Yes! exactly. After you left yesterdy like 8 more people paddled out & none of them new how to surf. Remember I moved over to an area that had no one near me? that was fine but at the same time I shouldnt have to do that & once it picked up, I had no choice but to go back becuase it was just too dumpy by the spikes & look, I now have a nice ding in the nose of my board becuase i was forced to surf a crappier area becuase I got sick of the newbees. Thats not right. I paddled backover & got these guys pushing their girlfriends into the waves directly into my path as a cruised across the face of the waves. They should not be there. People no one knows who are fine surfers that dont wanna share or act tuff, shouldnt be there.

Its all joking now but people are getting the Idea, "Just go to R-way beach & surf where ever when ever & how ever ya want, Bring friends its cool. Im a surfer now." on a day that was so small with so few people out, there was way to much drama. Seriously somethings gotta change.

Offline krut

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 09:27:45 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i read the whole thig psycho.

I just don't think everyone is gonna form a circle everytime there's an incident.

we'd be forming circles multpiple times a day on the weekend.

i say individuals just need to speak up - a firm "no beginners on the main peak" should work - likie Happi said.

it sounds like this pack was particularly reprehensible though.

sorry you had to deal with it bro.

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 09:35:07 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • On the one hand, on ankle high days its tought to be tough, though on the other it's never a bad time to set people down the right path.

for the most part i don't even surf in the summer anymore, and i agree that we seem to be forgetting that many days last winter were down right crowded. I could see a time in the not to distant future when i don't even surf anymore. there is a fine balance between the fun of surfing and the frustration of crowds.

did anyone see the article on surf camps in LBI? http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050807/NEWS02/508070444/1070
    again, you don't want to turn these kids away, but we're gonna need a hell of a lot more breaks and access to support all of it.

Psycho

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 09:38:11 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i dont just dont mean the newbs, I mean the others to. I dont mean carry out a meeting everytime, but if theres someone yu dont know obviously cuasing somefrustration, we gotta do something to let them know it aint cool.

1rst off is backing people. If some guy gets aggro with a friend, paddle over & say, "No yelling at homies, Yell at 1 you yell at all of us." Im talkin the big picture. people are always complaining abut these issues but no ones doing anything & I gotta tell ya, Go over by surf Atlantics spot & see what happens if you roll up 4 car loads deep lookin to surf that spot.

It aint gonna happen becuase they make a point to be aware & proactive, we do nothing & complain later. Jake does more than anyone in this matter.

Jake

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 09:40:33 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • my feelings... it was knee high ... deal with it...  theres not gonna b anyone pushing anyone into overheads...   let them have some fun on a knee high day in august... winters almost here

i personally stopped careing... i just use my gorrilla tactits to get any and all the waves i want  so i dont care....

Psycho

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 09:48:50 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • What eves. see yas in the crowded winter. its coming, I just talked to yet another wwealthy young yuppie who is already buying a 6/4mm suit, she's been surfing for 2 weeks & preparing to stay in the water thru the winter. If you were there Andy, you woulda been loosin yer mind. I kow you.