Author Topic: To the Newbees, Hype!  (Read 1891 times)

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 25
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Just add water
    • View Profile
    • Earthmovers
Re: To the Newbees, Hype!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 09:39:29 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Seriously since theres so much chatter & hype that the french are now asking me about waves this weekend. (uhg!) I must say, if in fact it gets as big as its saying its gonna, that doesnt mean you folks should pack up your board bags & jump in the water. Please for the love of all things sacred. Know your limits! If youve been surfing anything less then 6 to 8 months, ride a challenger, maybe can trun a little or have ridden almost a chest high wave, dont know how to Turtle dive, or have never experienced a professional wrestler flying off an SUV onto you spine over & over again, please do not paddle out. Rips & heavy azz waves are dangerous & many beginners dont know what the "Fear" is yet.

Dont be stupid.

very well put.  i've been waiting for this swell for months.  i cant wait till saturday. 

Thanks, I see someone understands. Since there are so many threads hyping brown trout, and so many newbees that despite the conditions they show up in NS 3 paddling out in wavos that are out of their limit & flopping around like lost Bouys on a waste to chest high day. I figured someone augt to post something saying be smart, let the people who know whats up enjoy it & be safe. They will see it. Some people may not have to worry about that crap being that apperently they dont get the crowding (By crowding I mean beginners, not the usualy guys you might see roll up when the waves are good) we get wether its ankle high or overhead but the beginner population has explaoded here & they are so regular we even have nicknames for most of em already. Tho they mean well, alot of them are not experienced enough even to paddle out in the correct spot, ( I have on Video from last week, a mob of about 15 paddlers consistantly getting in the way & blowing it for everyone dropping into a wave, 1 particular Wave Frrok was killing until an idiot paddled right in front of him & he had to d itch a possable shack to avoid the collision, the guy was on a shortboard & didnt even duck dive.) and theyre dangerous to others as well as themselves. I saw a girl get swept out last week when I nice bomb just crushed her & she had a look of death on her face. She can barely pop up but her & her friends paddled out anyway only to be stuck, scared & in the way of some very good surfers in a certain spot.

So everyone make your comments but if you surf here you know what Im talking about & its a valid warning to people who do not know enough yet where or how to surf.

Maybe we should make ID's that say, Im a new here to LB. I wasnt being a dick, I was saying (since so many read this quietly to themselves & then show up) Be carefull & pay attention.
    « Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 09:50:17 AM by Sigh Co. »

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 29
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 09:46:06 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • we're just giving you brown trout man; i appreciate your sentiment and hope the message falls on the right ears.

elkisthebastard

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 10:28:52 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • This thread is full of stuff.  It has legs.

Offline skSURF

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 10:32:55 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• « Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:50:15 AM by skSURF »
    Trust in the board.

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 10:38:17 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Whatever Fuq Yall!

Offline skSURF

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 10:42:11 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Whatever Fuq Yall!
    Hang on there for a second no need to get your panties in a bunch. You made a very valid point. If it makes you feel better I'll take the legs down.

PS why is telling someone to get laid considered an insult.
    Trust in the board.

Offline Justin-PI

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 3
    • "Heavens to Murgatroid ...EVEN!!!"
      • AOL Instant Messenger - meanlittlechimp
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 10:51:53 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Maybe those Depends© under garments will actually come in handy if I lose all control of my bodily functions in the roiling seas. I knew they were a good investment.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE W PSYCHO. If challenging conditions are new to you, don't be a hero. I used to feel compelled to paddle out in anything when I was a kid because I felt like a big wuss in front of others if I didn't. I looked far sillier getting shut down in shorepoud for an hour. Nothing wrong with not paddling out if you feel uncomfortable. There are surfers on this board who prett damn good, but sit it out when it gets nutty. Not wussy. Just smart.

Know the ledge.
    "ZEEEE GERMANS???!!!!"
    -T'kish

Offline skSURF

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 11:01:54 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Trust in the board.

Offline waterwolfnyc

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 5
    • There was madness in any direction, at any hour.
      • MSN Messenger - waterwolfnyc@hotmail.com
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 11:13:51 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • SighCo--you know I gots the love...I just didn't like your tone ;)

What he try to say peoples is that drowning in front of your friends just isn't hip
    "If a man could pass through Paradise in a dream, and have a flower presented to him as a pledge that his soul had really been there, and if he found that flower in his hand when he awake - Aye, what then?" - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Offline Wavy Gravy

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
    • Gravy, first initial W
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: November 02, 2007, 11:17:21 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sigh Co.:

I was being humorous about the French-dissing, which masked the really important point you are making.  I didn't think two days ago that this would be a cyclone-nor'easter with 11' waves... I was seeing 1-3ft waves on LN forecast...and thought you were overplaying this to bash newbies.  But you are wise, despite the dubious logic of bashing frogs rather than hipsters.  I personally was going to go out on Saturday, but will see what happens.  

Just a question...always wondered about this.  When it becomes crazy big in NSSS, would there be newbie-sized surf in Coney Island?  Or Around B 20th in the inlet between Atlantic Beach and Far Rockaway?
    "This wise clown of compassion is a genuine mahatma of the Cosmic Giggle."

Offline Homeslice

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: November 02, 2007, 11:18:37 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I for am one
    Maybe those Depends© under garments will actually come in handy if I lose all control of my bodily functions in the roiling seas. I knew they were a good investment.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE W PSYCHO. If challenging conditions are new to you, don't be a hero. I used to feel compelled to paddle out in anything when I was a kid because I felt like a big wuss in front of others if I didn't. I looked far sillier getting shut down in shorepoud for an hour. Nothing wrong with not paddling out if you feel uncomfortable. There are surfers on this board who prett damn good, but sit it out when it gets nutty. Not wussy. Just smart.

Know the ledge.

I for am one of those that will be sitting out on this one (due to family obligations - pathetic excuse).

Please, please, please take extreme caution - getting caught up on a strong rip and getting pounded non-stop is damn right scary and fatal.  What people, new and experienced forget is that the water is much colder and you will get exhausted much faster, especially with the strong rip. 

You need to have one of those 'come to Jesus' moments and be real about what your getting yourself in to.  If you have doubts, don't go in. 

Offline Shacky

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 87
    • Soft hated: 3
      • AOL Instant Messenger - mcfloater
      • View Profile
      • CONDO
    « Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 11:38:35 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • here's a rule of thumb for you: if you have trouble paddling and/or you can't duckdive or don't know what duckdiving is stay in the city or brooklyn and have brunch with friends.

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.

http://www.condotheband.com

Offline Fanning twin

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 2
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #27 on: November 02, 2007, 11:49:29 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Seriously since theres so much chatter & hype that the french are now asking me about waves this weekend. (uhg!) I must say, if in fact it gets as big as its saying its gonna, that doesnt mean you folks should pack up your board bags & jump in the water. Please for the love of all things sacred. Know your limits! If youve been surfing anything less then 6 to 8 months, ride a challenger, maybe can trun a little or have ridden almost a chest high wave, dont know how to Turtle dive, or have never experienced a professional wrestler flying off an SUV onto you spine over & over again, please do not paddle out. Rips & heavy azz waves are dangerous & many beginners dont know what the "Fear" is yet.

Dont be stupid.

very well put.  i've been waiting for this swell for months.  i cant wait till saturday. 

Thanks, I see someone understands. Since there are so many threads hyping brown trout, and so many newbees that despite the conditions they show up in NS 3 paddling out in wavos that are out of their limit & flopping around like lost Bouys on a waste to chest high day. I figured someone augt to post something saying be smart, let the people who know whats up enjoy it & be safe. They will see it. Some people may not have to worry about that crap being that apperently they dont get the crowding (By crowding I mean beginners, not the usualy guys you might see roll up when the waves are good) we get wether its ankle high or overhead but the beginner population has explaoded here & they are so regular we even have nicknames for most of em already. Tho they mean well, alot of them are not experienced enough even to paddle out in the correct spot, ( I have on Video from last week, a mob of about 15 paddlers consistantly getting in the way & blowing it for everyone dropping into a wave, 1 particular Wave Frrok was killing until an idiot paddled right in front of him & he had to d itch a possable shack to avoid the collision, the guy was on a shortboard & didnt even duck dive.) and theyre dangerous to others as well as themselves. I saw a girl get swept out last week when I nice bomb just crushed her & she had a look of death on her face. She can barely pop up but her & her friends paddled out anyway only to be stuck, scared & in the way of some very good surfers in a certain spot.

So everyone make your comments but if you surf here you know what Im talking about & its a valid warning to people who do not know enough yet where or how to surf.

Maybe we should make ID's that say, Im a new here to LB. I wasnt being a dick, I was saying (since so many read this quietly to themselves & then show up) Be carefull & pay attention.

again very well said. 

Offline Shacky

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 87
    • Soft hated: 3
      • AOL Instant Messenger - mcfloater
      • View Profile
      • CONDO
    « Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 11:52:37 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • here's another: if you think you MIGHT be able to handle it, you can't, stay home
    You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.

http://www.condotheband.com

Offline RayG

• Hoon
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 189
    • Soft hated: 10
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: November 02, 2007, 11:53:27 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • <Jimbo vox> It's headed right for us!!!

http://www.frf.usace.army.mil/#
    Sent from Coleco Vision NEC Zilog Z80A CPU