Author Topic: To the Newbees, Hype!  (Read 1892 times)

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 25
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Just add water
    • View Profile
    • Earthmovers
To the Newbees, Hype!
« on: November 01, 2007, 04:32:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Seriously since theres so much chatter & hype that the french are now asking me about waves this weekend. (uhg!) I must say, if in fact it gets as big as its saying its gonna, that doesnt mean you folks should pack up your board bags & jump in the water. Please for the love of all things sacred. Know your limits! If youve been surfing anything less then 6 to 8 months, ride a challenger, maybe can trun a little or have ridden almost a chest high wave, dont know how to Turtle dive, or have never experienced a professional wrestler flying off an SUV onto you spine over & over again, please do not paddle out. Rips & heavy azz waves are dangerous & many beginners dont know what the "Fear" is yet.

Dont be stupid.

Offline uncutproducts

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 90
      • AOL Instant Messenger - uncutproductsny
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: To the Newbees, Hype!
    « Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 05:02:58 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • big 2nd. if it's overhead and chilly, not the time to learn. sit back and watch. you'll learn a lot more than getting beat up for an hour trying to get out before calling it quits.

even if you know what you're doing, meaty surf is no joke. broke my leash on an outside set pummelling last year out east. 30 minutes of real tired swimming later, i got the hell out of the water quite shook up.

Offline waterwolfnyc

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 5
    • There was madness in any direction, at any hour.
      • MSN Messenger - waterwolfnyc@hotmail.com
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 05:09:58 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • would you both shut up please?

this is head high surf we're looking at.

I wanna see brawls on the boardwalk
    "If a man could pass through Paradise in a dream, and have a flower presented to him as a pledge that his soul had really been there, and if he found that flower in his hand when he awake - Aye, what then?" - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Offline Wavy Gravy

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
    • Gravy, first initial W
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 05:22:08 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Oui, comme les Francais sont entrain de regarder toutes les postes ici.  C'est vraiment une foutaise!  Ils sont entrain d'envihir NSSS.

Bottom line: Sigh Co. You're a great guy.  But I fart in your general direction. 

PS: Since when did the French replace the hipsters for newbie-bashing?
    « Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 05:50:03 PM by Wavy Gravy »
    "This wise clown of compassion is a genuine mahatma of the Cosmic Giggle."

Offline Hendo

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 05:32:51 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Oui, comme les Francais sont entrain de regarder toutes les postes ici.  C'est vraiment une foutaise!  Ils sont entrain d'envihir NSSS.

Bottom line: Sigh Co. You're a great guy.  But I fart in your general direction. 

PS: Since when did the French replace the hipsters for newbie-bashing?
    yea, the French should be at the BOTTOM of EVERY list right?  ;D   jk
    « Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 05:44:27 PM by Hendo »

Offline Wavy Gravy

• Regular (Silver)
    • Gravy, first initial W
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 05:55:14 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Actually:

It all depends.  Countries with the Worst food...bottom.  Best food...near the top.

The French think that the Americans are chauvinistic.  And uneducated.  (i.e. your list comment...you might want to think that one through a little bit!).  Meanwhile, the French are chauvinistic.  And highly educated. Of course.

Also, the French think that Americans are truly retarded with the Freedom Fries schtick.  Fries were created in Belgium.  Therefore, the French don't care.  The Walloons, on the other hand, are insulted.  Another case of patriotic Americans pissing people off unintentionally.
    "This wise clown of compassion is a genuine mahatma of the Cosmic Giggle."

Offline frroK

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
      • AOL Instant Messenger - frrok
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 06:25:52 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • another thread about the waves that are coming..will the madness ever end!   ::)

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 322
    • Soft hated: 12
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 06:39:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • yes there should be an id system that says I have been surfing this long and there can be bouncers who say no you cant paddle out your not good enough, so what its the only way to improve.  And if its 10 ft and you have only been surfing 3 years you cant paddle out.  And sheesh are we going give id's the people who surf here illegaly?  And there should be a dsv dept of surfing vehicles and surf gestapos issuing fines.  And a mayor of surftown to dictate all rules hence forth.  Now the mayor, he or she must have no surfing experience whatsoever therefore not to give any favoritism.  Like bush.
    "paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

Offline Homeslice

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 06:41:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • There's gonna be heavy rip and honking winds blowing at 30MPH - do not head out  if you are not heavily experienced surfing in these conditions.  You might think it'll be cool to tell your friends that you surfed but it won't be that cool when they're attending your funeral because you got ahead of yourself.   :-X

Offline EastEndWahine

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 16
    • go ahead, go shred
      • View Profile
      • the surfing handbook
    « Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 06:46:44 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • yeah no joke.  That's why you'll probably see me out filming on Sat...not surfing.
    "Once you have flown, you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been, there you long to return."  da Vinci

Offline Spindrift

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 3
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 07:10:54 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • OK, now you guys are even scaring me.  ;)

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 29
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 08:38:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i'm staying home too!

Offline Fanning twin

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 2
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 09:21:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Seriously since theres so much chatter & hype that the french are now asking me about waves this weekend. (uhg!) I must say, if in fact it gets as big as its saying its gonna, that doesnt mean you folks should pack up your board bags & jump in the water. Please for the love of all things sacred. Know your limits! If youve been surfing anything less then 6 to 8 months, ride a challenger, maybe can trun a little or have ridden almost a chest high wave, dont know how to Turtle dive, or have never experienced a professional wrestler flying off an SUV onto you spine over & over again, please do not paddle out. Rips & heavy azz waves are dangerous & many beginners dont know what the "Fear" is yet.

Dont be stupid.

very well put.  i've been waiting for this swell for months.  i cant wait till saturday. 

Offline Fanning twin

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 09:29:12 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • noel now a hurricane.

Offline Fanning twin

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 09:29:42 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • UH OH- NOEL POSES BIG PROBLEMS FOR NORTH CAROLINA OUTER BANKS ON NORTH- EVEN BIGGER FOR CANADIAN MARITIMES

There are new developments with Noel this evening that require a lot more attention be paid to the storm from here on out. The latest info from the NHC and the NWS indicates that Noel will become a large and powerful extra-tropical cyclone, a blend of a hurricane and a Nor'easter. Top winds are near hurricane force now and are forecast to reach at least 85 mph in the coming days. The track keeps shifting to the west and it is possible that the North Carolina Outer Banks as well as points north, especially southern New England, could see storm force conditions- or worse. As a result, the NWS has issued a plethora of watches, warnings and advisories for coastal areas of the East Coast. I urge people who live along these areas to check weather.gov, put in your Zip Code and read up on what is coming. While Noel is not likely to make a direct hit along the East Coast, it won't matter- the large waves, the fetch of wind and the severe beach erosion are all coming. Have you seen the video coming out of Florida? That's what is in store for many coastal locations from North Carolina on north. Once Noel gets past New England, it will impact Nova Scotia and could be quite a bad storm for that region- the worst since Juan in 2003. Take this seriously, we are looking at a potentially dangerous "Perfect Storm" type event with high winds and dangerous seas over a large area.

Not to be left out is the Bahamas- they are dealing with Noel right now and will have to for a little while longer. The good news here is that Noel is finally moving faster now- at 14 mph and increasing in forward speed. The weather in the Bahamas will be nicer tomorrow- which is always a good thing there!

Jesse Bass and I will be out on the Outer Banks tomorrow to document and observe the effects of Noel as it passes by. We expect overwash and severe beach erosion, especially at the times of high tide. For our LIVE subscribers, be sure to log in and see what is going on as far as our plans for live streaming. And, if you have not signed up, it is not too late- our subscriptions are 12 months, not just the hurricane season. If you sign up now, your subscription will be good until this same time NEXT SEASON. We will also post reports here of wind readings and even video clips of the effects. I doubt we will take the 10-meter tower with us since we MIGHT have to head north to Cape Cod once the Outer Banks event is diminishing. More on that possible mission later. I will post another update here late tonight. Get ready, Noel is going to keep reminding us why hurricane season lasts until the end of the month!