Author Topic: To mark the Death Spikes or not mark the death spikes  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Dorado

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 284
  • Soft hated: 24
    • View Profile
Re: To mark the Death Spikes or not mark the death spikes
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 11:34:13 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • it doesn't seem to break as hollow or good since those tools cut the sticks ...just my  2 cents ......

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 11:37:03 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • it doesn't seem to break as hollow or good since those tools cut the sticks ...just my  2 cents ......
    yup, shoulda never touched them.
    It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 11:39:10 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• From a selfish point of view, I think all of us can get longer rides and more barrels if they are marked. If they are marked you will be able to "pull in" and go for those jackin' up shorebreak barrels at high tide. You will know if you have enough room to do it. Without a marker, at high tide, if you lose your bearings and don't see where the spikes are, you can't "pull in" without being worried about being impaled.

THis past monster Sat was a perfect example. I rode giant monster after giant monster. I couldn't keep track of where the spikes were because I was concentrating too much on riding (and dodging other surfers). As my ride went longer and longer I wanted to pull in, but knew I was getting close to the spikes. . JScott and Psycho and others on the boardwalk even yelled at me "why didn't ya pull in". Well, because I had no freakin' idea where the spikes were but i do know that the waves jack up and barell at the spikes so therefore, I was probably right at the spikes when you wanted me to "pull in".

If you pull in, you'll be relatively high in the face, maybe even higher than a regular board on the sponge, which should keep you above the sticks if it's high tide and they are under water. They are more or less lined up with the steps coming off the boardwalk. Sack up Nancy. 

Besides Saturday wasn't some dinky shorebreak, any barrel that was breaking when the sticks were underwater would most likely be outside of them. 

Offline frroK

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
    • Soft hated: 0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - frrok
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 11:47:23 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

Thats IMPOSSIBLE.  They tried to cut the part of the sticks that are at the shorbreak? How does that effect how hollow it is?  when its good the wave breaks off the jetty. Right now that peak is soft because there is not enough sand there. AND WHY? because we haveent had any strong swells to fill the sand over there to make shallower. I think its happening now though...give it time it will come back. A couple more strong East swells and it will be EN FUEGO!!

..but yea they still should not have touched those things are stickin up at low tide...kind of dangerous.

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 11:55:23 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I think the main peak is the shiz! Its the bestest wave ever!

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 12:07:16 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

Thats IMPOSSIBLE.  They tried to cut the part of the sticks that are at the shorbreak? How does that effect how hollow it is?  when its good the wave breaks off the jetty. Right now that peak is soft because there is not enough sand there. AND WHY? because we haveent had any strong swells to fill the sand over there to make shallower. I think its happening now though...give it time it will come back. A couple more strong East swells and it will be EN FUEGO!!

..but yea they still should not have touched those things are stickin up at low tide...kind of dangerous.

On  a day like Saturday, that isn't shorebreak right in front of the sticks, it's continuation of the wave. you can ride right past it on a peak from either direction {I did numerous times} so I don't think it's impossible for the back half of the sticks being cut and the subsequent sand washout to have an effect on the wave. It wasn't barrelling consistently on the inside, it seemed kind of a fluke on Saturday.

Offline seb

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 99
    • Soft hated: 5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 12:09:05 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • leave them be!
    it's 6AM, have you seen a donkey?

Offline RayG

• Hoon
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 189
    • Soft hated: 10
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 12:43:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

In my studies, it isn't the BIG storms that fill in the sand, it's the soft summer small swells that moves the sand between the bars and the shoreline. the sand is carried off the outside bar into the shallows. Big storms break on the outer bar and the sweep scours out the area between the bar and the shore.
    Sent from Coleco Vision NEC Zilog Z80A CPU

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 12:48:52 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yeah I say leave em alone.

Offline Hendo

• Liked: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 12:52:33 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • well since nobody is explaining to me exactly what they are I'm just gonna assume that they're the remains of some former jetty or wall that wasn't completely removed and now they're something akin to a few metal spears sticking out of the water and only visible during low tide.  Now everyone is saying that it's your responsibility to know the break where you're surfing.  But... as a person who has never surfed at rock, lets say I just got there and it's high tide.  Given the current discussion I'm assuming that I won't see them.  Now for the sake of discussion, lets assume that nobody who is surfing is mentioning them to me because everyone thinks "its my responsibility to know and if I don't know then I shouldn't be out there at your break".  Surfing along... everything is fine... getting close... overtop of them... very hard fall... impaled on one of them(it's not difficult to be impaled with thin blunt objects)...  if not impaled then we can say hit on the head, knocked out, and drowned.  Are you still going to say, "he should have known that something which logically shouldn't be there and that he couldn't see was there"  ???  I'm sorry and I don't mean to be rude but I really don't think a localist attitude is worth a person's life.  Would it really be that hard to place a buoy? Or even remove them completely?  I know you have to be ready for everything but when I go to a break I haven’t surfed yet I’m taking note of the currents, jetty, pier, etc but I’m not thinking that there’s some hidden metal death spike in the middle of a popular area

and this is not like someone hitting their head on a visible jetty.  It’s almost a certainty that once the cause of death or severe injury has been determined that the area will be closed down at least for a little bit while “city experts” come in to investigate the safety of the area for recreation like surfing.  Then maybe they don’t like what they see and decide to disallow surfing….and if they don’t you can bet you butt that they’ll remove them or place a buoy while saying, “Wow it was stupid to leave these things hidden here. I’m surprised this hasn’t happened sooner with all of the tourists that come through the area”

Offline Homeslice

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 01:00:22 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I used to bitch about those death sticks but I've gotten used to them now so I say leave them as it is.  Gives the place character.

Offline seb

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 99
    • Soft hated: 5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 01:01:52 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • well, first of all you should always check a new break at low tide...so what's the problem? it's surfing, not golf.
    it's 6AM, have you seen a donkey?

Offline Justin-PI

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 3
    • "Heavens to Murgatroid ...EVEN!!!"
      • AOL Instant Messenger - meanlittlechimp
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 01:07:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • A buoy would be cool, but I just can't see it staying put after a N'Easter.

I know I already suggested this in one of the other death spike posts, but I'm sure there's some sort of super quick drying rubbery goop that go on top of em. Having them "declawed" with a layer of something soft (preferably bright) wouldn't cut down on impact with the pikes o' peril, but it'd reduce the likelihood of cuts and gashes.

I know they have adhesives that can cure underwater so I really doubt that something nice and gummy with similar properties doesn't exist, at least for industrial use.
    "ZEEEE GERMANS???!!!!"
    -T'kish

Offline Spindrift

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 3
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 01:16:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I just want to remind anyone commenting that this is not about rippin' 'em out at all. It is simply about marking them in some way.

jscottk

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2007, 01:16:56 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • well since nobody is explaining to me exactly what they are I'm just gonna assume  

So your putting your 2 cents in on something you have never even seen, much less surfed around?
    No, we arent going to do anything about them other then leave them alone, no bouys, no orange paint, no nothing.
    The parks Dept already ruined a chainsaw and possibly a stump grinder trying to remove them ..