Author Topic: Those with a 9-5 office job - what do you do and where do you work?  (Read 2467 times)

Offline getchashinebox

• Liked: 1
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 61.0.3163.100 Chrome 61.0.3163.100
    • View Profile
not specifically where, but location wise

i am trying to find a decent 9-5 gig that will allow me time to surf either before or after work

seems like almost all good gigs are Manhattan-based, which, if my commute is to be tolerable allows for next to no water time outside of weekends

haven't found it yet!

Offline navara

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 21
  • Soft hated: 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Those with a 9-5 office job - what do you do and where do you work?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 12:11:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • What is your educational background and experience?

I am a civil planner. Work in Westbury and live in bay shore so i take ocean pkwy everyday. Its a good way to so surf checks. I bought a house in Bay Shore specifically to be able to do that. If its good i head home grab the truck boards and family and can be back on the beach with in 30 min.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline SurfeRoss

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 45
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Mac OS X 10.12.5 Mac OS X 10.12.5
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 12:11:44 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• Been doing the surf before work thing for almost a decade - work in Manhattan. I have to say though - I've recently quit because I realized it's not worth it. It really takes up a ton of time for what you get out of it. My advice to younger surfers in NY or anyone thinking how to maximize their wave count for quality waves - focus on your career first - because I think that'll give you much more freedom in the end. Yeah, you'll never be one of those guys that's a "local" always at whatever jetty at whatever street - but you'll be able to do strike missions and surf better waves around the world. You'll build relationships in PR, CR, Nica, etc...and I think you'll spend more time on quality waves.

I have a little note over my desk that says "Working is surfing". It's just a reminder that when I'm putting in extra time - I'm actually earning more freedom to surf. To me, the real advantage of living in New York is the insanely great opportunities to get ahead. If you couple that with figuring out some strategic long weekend strike missions (even a Fri-Sun strike mission can net you 8-9 sessions) and watching those holiday weekends (presidents day / memorial day / july 4th, etc). Just get really good at surf trip planning / and watching forecasts for last minute strikes because then you'll really score and if you have that cash to throwdown for those last minute tickets - you could pick off some insanely good swells.

So, I'd actually say living in a place that allows you to spend less time commuting - more time working / networking - and possibly in closer proximity to one of the airports is a pretty sick way to go. Remember once your career gets going - you can find additional ways to make money outside of your 9-5. Start earning people's trust - then you're telecommuting from CR for a week.

All that being said, I'm sure there are plenty of other "time-useage" algorithms to maximize your quality wave count. And I think each neighborhood offers distinct co-efficients in front of those variables.

PS - I DM'd you with my hood :)

Offline Patches O'houlihan

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 77
    • Soft hated: 7
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 10.0 Safari 10.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 02:30:17 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Everyone prioritizes in their own way. I'm a landscape contractor and making moves to be my own boss which should happen in the next five years; it's a process being it's an existing company and I want some more school under my belt in horticulture. The hours may not be best during season, generally it's 730am-530pm 6 days a week but certain times of year it turns into a 7 day gig for up to a month. I have always had winters off/slow at work (no snow removal for me) which allows me to be on the surf when there's less crowds and travel. I hustle for about nine months and then have three quiet months. It's not for everyone, but I've managed to purchase a small home, carve a life out I enjoy, go to some great places and just worked in CA for a year in vineyard management. I'm in the closer to work deal right now, living in north shore but can get to ocean in 30min and will surf before and after work all the time. Luckily I still live on the water and love to fly fish and duck hunt just as much as surfing. All that's at my fingertips where I live. I do kind of hate a commute to work.

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 92
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 09:28:58 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I moved further away from my favorite breaks here as well.. but have a much better commute and live in a great school district with a sweet setup house /huge yard for the kids,dog.. I work more then I surf so saving on gas /time makes more sense.  I teach so I have a lot of time off which lines up with my kids so it's pretty sweet.. they're my focus now anyways.. surfing is secondary.. hopefully they'll be surfing at some point too but right now sports are their make source of fun

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "get your f**cking facts straight and quit being an idiot"

christian fletcher

Offline 75Jbass

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 12
    • Mac OS X 10.11.6 Mac OS X 10.11.6
    • Browser:
    • Safari 10.0.2 Safari 10.0.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 10:39:17 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i am trying to find a decent 9-5 gig that will allow me time to surf either before or after work

haven't found it yet!

I can't imagine why not?

Offline BltByKrmn

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 44
    • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 11:04:54 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Live in LB, work in Manhattan.  On a 7:30am train in, get back at 7:15pm.

During the summer I can make it work before and after since I'm 2 blocks from the sand, but it's mostly weekends.

Offline jeffbhall

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 28
    • Mac OS X 10.11.6 Mac OS X 10.11.6
    • Browser:
    • Safari 11.0 Safari 11.0
      • View Profile
      • Twitter
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 12:06:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I live and work in Midtown, in advertising/media. 

In the winters I take the subway/LIRR to surf in Long Beach if I can, Rockaway if I have to. I do get some winter morning sessions in during the week before work every now and then (maybe once a month?), but for the most part Im a weekend warrior during the winter. During the summer I stick to the breaks all along Fire Island. 

This summer however, I quit my job and basically lived on the beach from April to October.  I surfer almost every day, most days more than once.  I can confirm one of the things I have read on these boards over and over again...NOTHING takes the place of consistently pushing yourself and surfing for hours and hours a day.  No videos, no training program, no equipment changes, can help you improve your surfing like...surfing.  Don't get me wrong, everything helps, and I still train hard out of the water, but everything pales in comparison to spending time on the wave. It's impossible to overstate the importance of this.  (And yes, I improved my surfing tremendously, and at the same time, pretty much had the best summer since I was 8 years old)

But now, I'm also in a full blown job search @getchashinebox .  After the summer I had, I have been trying to figure out how my next job could give me more time in the water, while still living and working in Midtown Manhattan.  I haven't found the answer yet.  My friends who surf all year long all live near the beach, they all own their own service businesses, they all own Parker's to get them around the Great South Bay, and they have a flexible schedule that allows them to be on the beach almost every day if they need to be. I haven't owned a car since 1999.

Bottom line, if you REALLY want to prioritize your surfing and get significantly more time in the water, it's probably going to take a major life change in some area of your life.
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 12:12:20 PM by jeffbhall »

Offline fulltilt720

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 44
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 58.0.3029.110 Chrome 58.0.3029.110
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 12:49:45 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • live in greenpoint and work for corporate communications agency in union square. keep a car on the street and allows for morning sessions in LB, can hop right on LIE and be there fast, then back work by 9:30 or so depending on time of year and when sunrise is. bike to work everyday over WB bridge too. Keeps my commute bearable on daily basis and surf possible when it's good. Will also go further east when time permits.

I lived in the financial district and did the rockaway A train routine for a couple years, was cool for the novelty, but not ideal and also had everything stolen while in the water one night in April. Lots of ways to do it though.

Offline podge387

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 16
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 01:33:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Few people have it right, network and get in a good career position first. Spent many years in sales, but was on civil service lists. Now working for the state I have a flexible schedule because of career trust; when surf is good can work afternoons into evenings or vice versa. Definitely pay your dues a bit and it gets rewarded.  Also took a pay cut for a quality of life to spend more time with family, dog, etc.. Waves come secondary these days, but if your smart and plan ahead u can get in the water as much as anyone else.

Offline getchashinebox

• Liked: 1
    • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 10:21:17 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Few people have it right, network and get in a good career position first. Spent many years in sales, but was on civil service lists. Now working for the state I have a flexible schedule because of career trust; when surf is good can work afternoons into evenings or vice versa. Definitely pay your dues a bit and it gets rewarded.  Also took a pay cut for a quality of life to spend more time with family, dog, etc.. Waves come secondary these days, but if your smart and plan ahead u can get in the water as much as anyone else.
    i feel like those civil service jobs are impossible to get.

what type of role if you don't mind me asking?

Offline podge387

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 16
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 03:43:37 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Manager, for a recreation facility. And they are not impossible just get on the exams list and do well but be patient.

Offline waterboy

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 35
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 52.0 Firefox 52.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 02:40:45 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i dont see why anyone wouldnt be a teacher on Long Island. 

- rewarding career actualy doing meaningful enjoyable rewarding work
    - dont wear a suit or even business casual.  just look tidy
    - no drug tests (im for legalizing, but this one amazes me.)
    - unbelievale benefits unmatched.  you wanna go doctor?  hows ten bucks copay sound.  i pay 50. 
    - start at like 70k.  few years you are 135k+
    - work 180 days out of 365.  ie you will surf tons.
    - job security , very hard to fire you over time.
    - get a cool summer job make another 10k, or not.
    - pension!  after you are done working you still get paid.  wild!  dont expect one outside of civil service.
    - transferable career.  ie you wanna move to costa rica and live and surf?  no prob! your credentials qualify you for a job in any private school academy or public school in any surftown in the world.

teachers will tell you "oh those days are over".  dont believe em for a second.  they been saying that for about 15 years.  even if things get worse for teachers they are still better than most peoples situations.  teaching is gold.
    Jesus is coming, look busy.

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 92
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 03:29:25 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i dont see why anyone wouldnt be a teacher on Long Island. 

- rewarding career actualy doing meaningful enjoyable rewarding work
    - dont wear a suit or even business casual.  just look tidy
    - no drug tests (im for legalizing, but this one amazes me.)
    - unbelievale benefits unmatched.  you wanna go doctor?  hows ten bucks copay sound.  i pay 50. 
    - start at like 70k.  few years you are 135k+
    - work 180 days out of 365.  ie you will surf tons.
    - job security , very hard to fire you over time.
    - get a cool summer job make another 10k, or not.
    - pension!  after you are done working you still get paid.  wild!  dont expect one outside of civil service.
    - transferable career.  ie you wanna move to costa rica and live and surf?  no prob! your credentials qualify you for a job in any private school academy or public school in any surftown in the world.

teachers will tell you "oh those days are over".  dont believe em for a second.  they been saying that for about 15 years.  even if things get worse for teachers they are still better than most peoples situations.  teaching is gold.
    Some of this is true.. Some not.. 135k I don't think so not even close!  Maybe by the time u put in 30 yrs and retire if that.. and good luck trying to get a teaching job on LI.. pool continues to grow while there are so few positions available..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    « Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:33:26 PM by Kdropin »
    "get your f**cking facts straight and quit being an idiot"

christian fletcher

Offline navara

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 21
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 05:07:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The biggest draw back to being a teacher or even working for a school district, the vacation time is the same time as 90% of other people across the country. My wife and I where all set to plan a vacation with another couple we are friends with. We would take our kids out of school (kindergarten and per k so no big) and head out when most other American families would be home. We where looking at CR, Puerto Rico, Bermuda even Peru. For the most part places that would get fairly crowded during times when Americans are off from school ( maybe not Peru) But  our friend's wife just started working at a school district central office in September so...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk