Author Topic: Thermal shirts under wetsuits?  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Homeslice

• Local Access
  • Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Thermal shirts under wetsuits?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 10:41:59 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Keep an eye out on Whisky Militia - they have some good deals on decent suits.  Thermal shirt and 3/2 should be okay for now - I've gone upto mid-dec with this combo but having good booties and gloves make a big difference though I don't think you need those right now.

Offline EastEndWahine

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 16
    • go ahead, go shred
      • View Profile
      • the surfing handbook
    « Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 11:28:05 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks for all the advice so far.  Still a tough decision.  Yea's and Nay's across the board here. 

Basically I wanted something for this upcoming swell.  I'm not sure if the poly thing and my 3/2 will last me much longer anyway, since my 3/2 is the Hammer model with no sealed seams.  Not the warmest suit ever but it fits pretty darn good.  $70 is a bit much though if it's not going to be effective.

The stupid shops around here don't stock any selection of women's suits.  I called Bunger's and they said they didn't have much selection of 4/3's.  Xcel fits me great but they only have 3/2's and 5/4's at Main Beach.  WTF  C'mon guys get with the program!  Anyone know any other shops with a good suit selection?   I didn't check Air and Speed yet but they don't tend to have a ton of wetsuits. The only prob with Whiskey Militia is that they don't sell women's suits.  I tried to get a men's rip curl from them and man did that thing fit funky.

I'd love to bust out the credit card and get a Psycho II or XCel, but I'm busting out the CC on too many things at the moment.   :-\  Plus I'd have to order it.  Blah

Ok I'm done babbling.  I didn't mean to write a book haha...  If I get it I'll let you guys know how it works out.
    "Once you have flown, you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been, there you long to return."  da Vinci

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 93
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 11:42:16 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • have a oneill poly long sleeve top that works insane... don't use it anymore though because i bought a 4/3 xcel

Offline theusername

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 3
    • green sticks
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 11:50:47 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • oh if you don't have sealed seams on your wetsuit then yeah, you're maybe better off buying a quality wetsuit than getting a polyolefin rashguard. i got a great deal (well over 50% off) on my pyscho II 3/2 from sierratradingpost.com - they've sold out, but there's a 4/3 bodyglove vapor (sealed seams) for a little over 200 bucks with lots of sizes available, though i've never tried their suits. i tend to find a brand/size that fits me well and stick with it - and yes, i've noticed wet suit selection for ladies kind of sucks out here. that's why i often order stuff like that online once i've figured out what works for me.
    "New York, is it true that great cold
    makes the bones ache as if broken?" - Suzanne Lummis

Offline UNCLE!!

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 33
    • Soft hated: 2
    • local riff raff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 12:32:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Back in the day... I had an O'Neil Oasis semidry. It was something like 5 mil, but I don't remember what it was. It had no built on hood and I had to fake all kinds of things.. But when it got really cold I'd wear cotton long johns under the suit. It was heavier, but it kept me warmer. Then after a few seasons, the armpit blew out and I had to buy one of those new-fangled 5-4's with the hood.... That was nice..
    Foamies are the new black

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 12:51:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks for all the advice so far.  Still a tough decision.  Yea's and Nay's across the board here. 

Basically I wanted something for this upcoming swell.  I'm not sure if the poly thing and my 3/2 will last me much longer anyway, since my 3/2 is the Hammer model with no sealed seams.  Not the warmest suit ever but it fits pretty darn good.  $70 is a bit much though if it's not going to be effective.

The stupid shops around here don't stock any selection of women's suits.  I called Bunger's and they said they didn't have much selection of 4/3's.  Xcel fits me great but they only have 3/2's and 5/4's at Main Beach.  WTF  C'mon guys get with the program!  Anyone know any other shops with a good suit selection?   I didn't check Air and Speed yet but they don't tend to have a ton of wetsuits. The only prob with Whiskey Militia is that they don't sell women's suits.  I tried to get a men's rip curl from them and man did that thing fit funky.

I'd love to bust out the credit card and get a Psycho II or XCel, but I'm busting out the CC on too many things at the moment.   :-\  Plus I'd have to order it.  Blah

Ok I'm done babbling.  I didn't mean to write a book haha...  If I get it I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Send a PM to JerseyJen, she is a wealth of knowledge on womens suits. Even some swap info that might help. She knows whats up.

jscottk

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 12:56:44 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I HATE thermal shirts hoodies and whatevers.
    How in the world is a thick peice of cloth that holds in more water then no cloth going to keep you warm?
    I have used a thick Oniell thermal under a 4/3 ..brrrr
    The same goes for wearing a rash guard under you suit, it just holds water in, more water the longer it takes your body to heat the water.
    LotusB might have a Thermal you can try if you dont want to spend the $$$

Cleanlines in Oregon carries a great suit by Hotline built for ladies who surf in the cold.

Offline Homeslice

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007, 01:26:18 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Cleanlines in Oregon carries a great suit by Hotline built for ladies who surf in the cold.

I've ordered suits from there before - great service, great people.  They actually wrote me a handwritten thank you note and threw in some candy in the box that my suit came in. 

Offline Justin-PI

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • "Heavens to Murgatroid ...EVEN!!!"
      • AOL Instant Messenger - meanlittlechimp
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007, 01:27:42 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I dunno. The Oneil shirt/hood I described does the trick for me. Surfed Santa Cruz last Jan in a 3/2 with that thing on while everyone else was in 5/3s. No worries.
    "ZEEEE GERMANS???!!!!"
    -T'kish

jscottk

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2007, 01:51:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I dunno. The Oneil shirt/hood I described does the trick for me. Surfed Santa Cruz last Jan in a 3/2 with that thing on while everyone else was in 5/3s. No worries.

Arent you like half Prussian or something?
    Taking advice from JustinPI on cold is like taking advice from John McClane on pain..

Offline sman

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 37
    • Soft hated: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: November 01, 2007, 02:18:08 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • don't you have some things laying around you can sell on ebay or work a weekend shift somewhere? Hell $200 will get you what you need. Reminds me of the old show Whats Happening where the whole episode was based around Raj needing $11 to pay for something and ultimately borrowing from his loan shark sister dee.  Do you by chance have a real chubby friend who wears a red beret and has unreal dance moves for someone his size?

Oh, and those thermal shirts wont replace a 4/3 - at best will give you a few more weeks in your 3/2
    « Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 02:21:09 PM by sman »

Offline theusername

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • green sticks
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: November 01, 2007, 02:35:50 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • the most important thing to keep in mind with thermal insulation is the type of material the rashguard is made of. polyolefin or polypropylene rashguards have high thermal conductivity and are moisture wicking - therefore they'll retain less water, while heating up and staying warm longer. just like cotton (as opposed to wool) has poor thermal conductivity and high moisture retention - meaning when cotton gets wet it gets cold fast and stays wet longer, rashguards made of of the right materials do not have bulk when they get wet, don't weigh all that much, and retain heat. i can see how putting a lycra rashguard on under your wetsuit would make you feel colder - different material and fiber structure.

but yeah, thermal liners are useless if you don't have a sealed seam wetsuit... so whatever...
    "New York, is it true that great cold
    makes the bones ache as if broken?" - Suzanne Lummis

Offline EastEndWahine

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 16
    • go ahead, go shred
      • View Profile
      • the surfing handbook
    « Reply #27 on: November 01, 2007, 03:08:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Do you by chance have a real chubby friend who wears a red beret and has unreal dance moves for someone his size?

Have you been spying on me?   ;D

Hahhaha.  I know what you mean though.  I could potentially work a weekend shift or sell my parents into slavery.  But even if I did that I *should* be putting any money I get into my apply for grad school fund, or my repay college loan fund.  I've already spent waaaaay to much money on surfing stuff in the past couple months.

le sigh

Send a PM to JerseyJen, she is a wealth of knowledge on womens suits. Even some swap info that might help. She knows whats up.

will do.

and yeah...I think I'll just save and get a new 4/3 as soon as I can, or just spend it on a 5/4 which I don't even have yet.  I'll suffer through my current painintheneck suit for now.  From what you guys are saying it seems like it could definitely help, but with a low end, unsealed 3/2 it's going to be a losing battle, and not really useful at this point in the season.  I get cold super easy, too.
    « Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 03:24:14 PM by EastEndWahine »
    "Once you have flown, you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been, there you long to return."  da Vinci

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 29
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: November 01, 2007, 03:25:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i do fine with a 3/2, hood, & a 6/4.  I wear the 3/2 till it gets a bit frostie.  Then, instead of a thermal, i'll wear a separate hood (or even rashie with attached hood) until 6/4 time.  I think the warmth benefits of covering your head with a hood and retaining the flexibility of a 3/2 is a good solution for me.  That combo with good booties and gloves will take me well into fall and sometimes early winter.  I've only found a 4/3 useful in my rubber 'quiver' when i'm out in central cal and when i was young and dumb enough to power through the winter with a 4/3 and a hooded rashie.

Offline Old_Rock_Guy_in_NH

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #29 on: November 01, 2007, 03:57:48 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have the O'Neill Thermo-X Vest, 13oz Polar Tech Fleece and it is the balls, especially when that canadian wind is howling.  I have sat with buddies shivering, while I was just toasty warm.  It has totally made my winter sessions much, much better. I got it originally because I have a bad back and need to keep it warm, but I found I can now wear my 3/2 till Dec and my 4/3 works till Jan with the vest on.  The no sleeves is the way to go too as there is no added drag.  As far as holding water, it does not.  Water just runs off it. I have two older friends who got them and rave about them as well.
    If I am not here then I must be there