Author Topic: Thermal shirts under wetsuits?  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Justin-PI

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 3
  • Soft hated: 0
  • "Heavens to Murgatroid ...EVEN!!!"
    • AOL Instant Messenger - meanlittlechimp
    • View Profile
Re: Thermal shirts under wetsuits?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2007, 11:19:59 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I dunno. The Oneil shirt/hood I described does the trick for me. Surfed Santa Cruz last Jan in a 3/2 with that thing on while everyone else was in 5/3s. No worries.

Arent you like half Prussian or something?
    Taking advice from JustinPI on cold is like taking advice from John McClane on pain..

You're from Buffalo and of Swiss descent. Put your skirt back on. And check yer PM pls.

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: November 02, 2007, 11:34:39 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have the O'Neill Thermo-X Vest, 13oz Polar Tech Fleece and it is the balls, especially when that canadian wind is howling.  I have sat with buddies shivering, while I was just toasty warm.  It has totally made my winter sessions much, much better. I got it originally because I have a bad back and need to keep it warm, but I found I can now wear my 3/2 till Dec and my 4/3 works till Jan with the vest on.  The no sleeves is the way to go too as there is no added drag.  As far as holding water, it does not.  Water just runs off it. I have two older friends who got them and rave about them as well.
    the X vest sounds and looks good - is that a pure pullover or does it have a zipper somewhere (ccan't tell from th einternet pictures)?  Do you get a neck rash at all where the vest neck meets the 3/2 neck (I used to use a 1 mil shirt under a 3/2 and had to cut the arms and neck out to avoid rashes)? Do you have to wear it tight or will it work well a little looser?  i go with only a 3/2 and 5/4 suit and would love to avoid going to the hassle of the 5/4 chestzip and enjoy the ease of the 3/2 back zip as long as possible.

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 29
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: November 02, 2007, 12:19:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have the O'Neill Thermo-X Vest, 13oz Polar Tech Fleece and it is the balls, especially when that canadian wind is howling.  I have sat with buddies shivering, while I was just toasty warm.  It has totally made my winter sessions much, much better. I got it originally because I have a bad back and need to keep it warm, but I found I can now wear my 3/2 till Dec and my 4/3 works till Jan with the vest on.  The no sleeves is the way to go too as there is no added drag.  As far as holding water, it does not.  Water just runs off it. I have two older friends who got them and rave about them as well.
    the X vest sounds and looks good - is that a pure pullover or does it have a zipper somewhere (ccan't tell from th einternet pictures)?  Do you get a neck rash at all where the vest neck meets the 3/2 neck (I used to use a 1 mil shirt under a 3/2 and had to cut the arms and neck out to avoid rashes)? Do you have to wear it tight or will it work well a little looser?  i go with only a 3/2 and 5/4 suit and would love to avoid going to the hassle of the 5/4 chestzip and enjoy the ease of the 3/2 back zip as long as possible.

yea - i'm thinking i might try that thing.  I guess you have to seriously consider it, when the man from 43N praises it.

Offline Old_Rock_Guy_in_NH

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #33 on: November 02, 2007, 01:55:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • N
    I have the O'Neill Thermo-X Vest, 13oz Polar Tech Fleece and it is the balls, especially when that canadian wind is howling.  I have sat with buddies shivering, while I was just toasty warm.  It has totally made my winter sessions much, much better. I got it originally because I have a bad back and need to keep it warm, but I found I can now wear my 3/2 till Dec and my 4/3 works till Jan with the vest on.  The no sleeves is the way to go too as there is no added drag.  As far as holding water, it does not.  Water just runs off it. I have two older friends who got them and rave about them as well.

No zip, it's a pullover.  The neck is pretty high and is lycra.  I wear mine tight because I prefer tighter fit in my suits and so there's no room for flap.  The thing is super stretchy though, so size may not be an issue. I wear a rash guard under it, but thats really just habit.  And the thing was only $50 which I thought of as a steal.  Oh and I have worn it under my coaching clothes for events where I know I will be freezing my ass off and my back will get stiff, so its dual purpose.  I use to do the 2 mm vest on top of the suit, but this is 10x more comfortable and 1/4 the weight if not more.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 02:00:33 PM by Old_Rock_Guy_in_NH »
    If I am not here then I must be there

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: November 14, 2007, 03:37:15 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I love the X Vest, thanks for the heads up, not only is it toasty, it is comfortable and serves well as a male corset, very slimming.

Offline JerseyJen

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Glassy Lady
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #35 on: November 14, 2007, 03:57:51 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Send a PM to JerseyJen, she is a wealth of knowledge on womens suits. Even some swap info that might help. She knows whats up.

why funny you should say that! there is a size ladies 10 5/3 with attached hood in my house that has never been worn that I was burdened with  the task of giving away recently.

i don't remember who made it, and it's not the latest hi-tech neoprene, but it does have sealed seams. A friend bought it and never wore it and then gave to another friend to give away and somehow it became my problem.

EastEndWahine, or any other interested party, get in touch if you need a suit. I will be in the Hamptons/surfing Mtk at my inlaws on Thanksgiving,possibly over the whole weekend. I am in NYC 4-5 days a week or am usually never too far from a post office.

Additionally, owing to the whole preggo thing, I'll likely put my great condition size 8 5/4/3 Xcel Infinity up for sale very soon since i don't think i'll be surfing enough to need a backup suit and hopefully by winter '09 wetsuits will have taken a giant leap forward with space-age polymers or i'll be moving to Encinitas (if Josh has his way, but he neglects the allure of free babysitting from grandparents in prime locations)

years ago i surfed in a guys 4/3 with an o'neill thermo-x fleecy thing underneath. it was too much bulk and if you can swing it, does not compare to having a heavier suit. regarding women's winter suits, i was an xcel fan until i got a psycho II 6/4 for $186 last Feb. Allegedly, psycho II's don't hold up, but people also say that about rip curls and my 4/3 is an ultimate elasto that i got in spring '02.  Xcels are top notch construction,warm as toast,but slightly less stretchy than the rubber oneill & rip curl used last season, in my opinion.
    If there is magic on the planet, it is contained in the water.--Loren Eisley

Offline Old_Rock_Guy_in_NH

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #36 on: November 14, 2007, 04:23:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I love the X Vest, thanks for the heads up, not only is it toasty, it is comfortable and serves well as a male corset, very slimming.
    Oh yeah I did forget to mention that.   :D
    If I am not here then I must be there

Offline EastEndWahine

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 16
    • go ahead, go shred
      • View Profile
      • the surfing handbook
    « Reply #37 on: November 14, 2007, 08:57:28 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Send a PM to JerseyJen, she is a wealth of knowledge on womens suits. Even some swap info that might help. She knows whats up.

why funny you should say that! there is a size ladies 10 5/3 with attached hood in my house that has never been worn that I was burdened with  the task of giving away recently.

i don't remember who made it, and it's not the latest hi-tech neoprene, but it does have sealed seams. A friend bought it and never wore it and then gave to another friend to give away and somehow it became my problem.

EastEndWahine, or any other interested party, get in touch if you need a suit. I will be in the Hamptons/surfing Mtk at my inlaws on Thanksgiving,possibly over the whole weekend. I am in NYC 4-5 days a week or am usually never too far from a post office.

Additionally, owing to the whole preggo thing, I'll likely put my great condition size 8 5/4/3 Xcel Infinity up for sale very soon since i don't think i'll be surfing enough to need a backup suit and hopefully by winter '09 wetsuits will have taken a giant leap forward with space-age polymers or i'll be moving to Encinitas (if Josh has his way, but he neglects the allure of free babysitting from grandparents in prime locations)

years ago i surfed in a guys 4/3 with an o'neill thermo-x fleecy thing underneath. it was too much bulk and if you can swing it, does not compare to having a heavier suit. regarding women's winter suits, i was an xcel fan until i got a psycho II 6/4 for $186 last Feb. Allegedly, psycho II's don't hold up, but people also say that about rip curls and my 4/3 is an ultimate elasto that i got in spring '02.  Xcels are top notch construction,warm as toast,but slightly less stretchy than the rubber oneill & rip curl used last season, in my opinion.

how the heck did you swing a psycho II for $186???

Unfortunately I think the size 10 suit will be too big....

But if you are looking to sell your Xcel 5/4/3...I got first dibs!!  I tried on an Xcel size 8 in the store and it fit GREAT, but they didn't have the 4/3 I wanted.  I'm hanging tough with my tight 4/3 right now, but I will soon be needing a 5 mil if I'm going to try out this winter surfing thing  ;)

"Once you have flown, you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been, there you long to return."  da Vinci