Author Topic: The Brooklyn Bowl and the Damage Done  (Read 646 times)

waialuasurfa

The Brooklyn Bowl and the Damage Done
« on: August 14, 2005, 12:34:46 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • So I'm back in the Big Pineapple after a fast and furious 3 weeks of the annual LI/CT/NJ/Detroit
    tour with wife and 2 kids.
    Surfed some decent waves in LB/Rock/Central LI and LBI(excellent sandbars down there, kids-you didn't hear it from me, though). Drank/partied with some of the boys(had a ne'er-do-wellian all nighter with Tim and Andy and the cat who owns the Rock surfshop and Andy's cousin). Visited family. Took the 5 year old to see Dinosaur bones. Ate lots of good Pizza. Surfed off the back of jet skis and a Boston Whaler. Bodysurfed ironically enough with a guy from Molokai(small effin world). Slept in various beds/couches/floors in the tri-state region....
    And I FINALLY hit up the Brooklyn Bowl. And what a bowl she is. I could skate there every day for a month and find new combinations of curves every day. So it's about 2 hours into the session, when I loosen the back trucks to free up the board a bit. I hit the vert section(above the metal part), top turn and lose it....free fall into the bowl from 9 feet up. It's sore but I manage 3 more runs and drive home super stoked.
    Next day I visit the ER and they tell me it's a scaphoid fracture and I'm out for a few months.
    My wife is somewhat disturbed and says sarcastically,"I hope it was worth it."
    I looked at her and said with every bit of sincerity,"oh, it was. It definitely was."

So...no surfing for a bit but I'm setting the alarm clock and hitting the Hawaii Kai bowl followed by a bodysurf session at Makapuu. This(and snorkeling) will be the routine until I'm able to put any weight on the wrist. But, ya know, it's really all good. I've been reading "Leaves of Grass" and watching the clouds float by over the Honolulu harbor. And I will work on helping my 5 year old lose the training wheels on her bike. And take my 6 month old son with me to sit on the rock wall and mind surf the waves of point panics.....

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 22
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    Re: The Brooklyn Bowl and the Damage Done
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 10:04:57 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • man, sounds like you had a great time!  really sorry i missed you - though the ne'er-do-wellian crawl sounds like it woulda shaved a few years off my life.  Just wanted to let you know i'm coming out for my cousin's wedding at the end of the month. We're gonna do some family pilgrimage back the the big island for a few days, but then i'll be around.  maybe we'll get a little somethin' and get together - sure would be nice to get a fun little westy makaha day.

waialuasurfa

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 11:29:47 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I would love to catch up with you, bro.
    Perhaps some Kava and a beer?
    As for a west side sesh, i'm not sure what my orthopedic status will be for stand up surfing(popping up could be a problem).
    Sorry I missed you and Cliff. It was a whirlwind of parents, uncles, nieces,
    nephews, aunties, in-laws, old friends. My surf missions were quick hitters
    nestled in between BBQs, benders, talk story sessions...It was great chillin' with Jake and Tim. I snuck in a quick session with Bob B.(great guy) and met up briefly with 1fin Justin and Cenzdog. Also was introduced to RedDoor and McFloater, and leared at Mims' figure while guzzling pints in Connolly's.
    I need a vacation from my vacation.

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 22
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 12:27:00 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • kava andor beers sounds good - sorry about your wrist.  Hopefully it'll be back to 100% soon.  anyway, i'll give ya i ring when i get out there.  i'm sure there will be at least one night out with the old man drinkin' kava and listening to some slack key.

k

Psycho

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 05:02:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sounds like ya had a blast Mang, sorry bout the bones, maybe ya didnt party enough. Next time matey! ;) ;D Where the frickin heck is Tim anyway?

waialuasurfa

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 12:26:45 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sounds like ya had a blast Mang, sorry bout the bones, maybe ya didnt party enough. Next time matey! ;) ;D Where the frickin heck is Tim anyway?
    Did you check the following spots?
    1-NSSS
    2-The Bodega
    3-RBI's
    4-Connolley's
    5-The Irish Circl
    6-His penthouse suite at the rooming house

It would've been fun to meet up with you, Psycho. Next time, indeed.

Offline krut

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 4
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 09:30:03 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • hey Ed.

sorry about the hurts bro!

but it sounds like you had an awesome vacation.

sorry I missed you.

I'll just have to get my ass to HI.

waialuasurfa

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 01:02:51 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I wish I could've surfed with you, my friend. There's a lot of folks I missed.
    See you in HI. ;)