Author Topic: Surfing with the Rays  (Read 1378 times)

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 22
  • Soft hated: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Surfing with the Rays
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 05:15:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I saw a few up in asbury park the other day.  kinda startled the crap outta me for a sec.  Double G - try http://www.fishbase.org/identification/familieslist.cfm?ordnum=14&areacode=&classnum=4&c_code= for identification of skates and rays..

Offline Dub_G

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 9
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Live 2 Surf ><///'> Surf 2 Live
      • View Profile
      • GuerrillaGuru.Com
      • Email
    « Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 05:49:13 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I saw a few up in asbury park the other day.  kinda startled the crap outta me for a sec.  Double G - try http://www.fishbase.org/identification/familieslist.cfm?ordnum=14&areacode=&classnum=4&c_code= for identification of skates and rays..

Thanks bro. That's a great site. I'm bookmarking that one.

I think they were barn door skates based on the pic and characteristics described. Which i now remember is the same name i ended up finding that best described the ones i saw at LBI about 5 years ago. I think they're also the same ones we'd get in the net monkfishing.

Yeah, they could definately spook the hell out of ya at first when they come cruising past in the lineup. They're like phantoms or ghosts. I like paddling alongside them like you're in their school...just gliding along real smooth.  I like doing that with dolphins also.
    « Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 06:03:04 PM by Double_G »

Offline Some people call me Maurice

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - LIsurf615
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 12:21:19 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • was at a central spot a few years ago and the water was unbelievably clear and u could see down to the sandbar. as me and a few friends were paddling out we see tons of rays, flocks of about 20 of em just swimmin around in the line up for the whole day. the waves werent too great so we were just diving down and swimming with them for the entire day. was just one of those days that u remember really well

Offline Jimbobway

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 06:51:19 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • We used to get them ALL the time on a dragger out of Point Jud RI. Never heard of them being that big though, and looked just like that picture, cept dark brown backs.