Author Topic: Support your local shaper  (Read 2171 times)

Offline ArchySwashbuckle

• Local (Gold)
  • Liked: 56
  • Soft hated: 2
  • Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 59.0.3071.115 Chrome 59.0.3071.115
    • View Profile
"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete waste of time. That is what I chose to do with my life." Dora

Offline 75Jbass

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 12
  • Soft hated: 1
  • Mac OS X 10.11.6 Mac OS X 10.11.6
  • Browser:
  • Safari 10.0.2 Safari 10.0.2
    • View Profile
Re: Support your local shaper
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Even the ones that use shaping machines  :D

Offline ArchySwashbuckle

• Local (Gold)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 03:56:22 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Even the ones that use shaping machines  :D
    Agree.
    "Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete waste of time. That is what I chose to do with my life." Dora

Offline surfvaulter

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 19
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • most of the cnc shaping machines only do maybe 50 percent of the work! after they still need to be hand shaped and finished. it basically just eliminates having to stand there tracing stencils then sawing the bits off

Offline The Knot

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 8
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 46.0.2486.0 Chrome 46.0.2486.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 08:05:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The last line in the article  is so true .

Offline podge387

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 16
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 09:48:51 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The funny thing most people don't acknowledge is that surfing operates like a bad high school tv drama all the time. Cool kids on the in crowd with secret spots, nice boards that they covet. And then newcomers are judged, or hassled for having different materials. Not for nothing either the good ol boys a lot of times don't wanna let people into the in crowd or share the secrets, so lots of new shapers are hamstrung by workshop space, lack of good advisers, or being told they have not paid there dues. Obviously the industry would move over seas, way and we should all be willing and supporting local shops, builders etc. But a lot of these business's both east and west coast really should look at themselves and see what type of culture they are promoting.   

Offline adamlesper

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 36
    • Mac OS X 10.12.5 Mac OS X 10.12.5
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 02:45:04 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The funny thing most people don't acknowledge is that surfing operates like a bad high school tv drama all the time. Cool kids on the in crowd with secret spots, nice boards that they covet. And then newcomers are judged, or hassled for having different materials. Not for nothing either the good ol boys a lot of times don't wanna let people into the in crowd or share the secrets, so lots of new shapers are hamstrung by workshop space, lack of good advisers, or being told they have not paid there dues. Obviously the industry would move over seas, way and we should all be willing and supporting local shops, builders etc. But a lot of these business's both east and west coast really should look at themselves and see what type of culture they are promoting.

I think its about how good you surf.  If you are a good surfer you are part of the in crowd and people will want to surf with you.  Good surfers spend alot of time surfing so eventually find the good  and "secret" spots to surf and share with others. Typically, good sharpers have been surfing their whole lives and are also good surfers.  People who are new to surfing and shaping are prob not going to be very good so people don't want to surf with them or ride their boards.  I don't think its about in-crowds or politics, its about performance. 

Offline ArchySwashbuckle

• Local (Gold)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 03:31:11 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • "I don't think its about in-crowds or politics, its about performance. "
    Partly true, but 90% of the time- the custom board you get by a local shaper that has seen you surf and knows your real ability will be much better then a cnc cut pop out.
    Don't care what anyone says but an a lost RNF fish has nothing on a fish shaped by a local shaper, ahim Joe Falcone for example. What do Lost and Firewire know about our local waters?
    IMHO it's about economy and doing whats right.  You get what you pay for and quite simply most off the rack shapes are overpriced and have terrible glass jobs. Why not support shapers and not computers? The same could be said for our food industry...

Offline podge387

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 09:31:23 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Obviously ability definitely plays a roll. But once again wouldn't that just be another factor of how to judge and distinguish; I guess it comes down to objectiveness. What is good surfing, or good shaping for that matter. Hell plenty of guys rip on wave storms, maybe it boils down to fun.

Offline Smiley's people

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 109
    • Soft hated: 9
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 09:23:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Ummm no.  Do you mean 'subjectiveness'? "What is good surfing, or good shaping for that matter" You can have whatever opinion you want on the topic, but as a community we have pretty much decided what good surfing is, on a variety of boards. There is a documented history of master craftsmen who are celebrated in our culture for their contributions to surfboards, good shaping has been clearly defined. No one rips on a wavestorm, jamie o at pipe is funny, and I know a few folks here that enjoy riding them in crap...but I have yet to see anyone 'ripping' on one.  Maybe after you have been surfing for a while you will come to understand the value of a surfboard custom made to your ability and local conditions.  Until then stick with the wavestorm.
    ‘closed mouth don’t catch any foot.’

Offline OldSoul

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 43
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 53.0 Firefox 53.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 09:32:48 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Just my $0.02....After learning how to surf on a friends pop-out longboard and then buying my first used board (happened to be hand shaped but from N.C ..Scott Busbey), when it came time to get my first custom I decided to go local and have been doing so with the rest of my quiver. Besides putting money into local guys pockets who love the art, besides the benefits of their knowledge of our waves, there is just something so awesome about scoring quality surf on craft made for you by someone who you can point to in the lineup. It has to be rewarding for them too, seeing their boards bringing people happiness. Also, for me, there is a sense of pride when traveling- to bring a piece of LI with me and have a blast on it at other breaks.

Offline podge387

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 09:18:16 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Kind of proving my exact point. "stick to the wave-storm'. Who cares, don't ride a wave storm, don't even own one been shaping and riding my own for a while now. But the fact that we can even use that as an insult shows that there is a community that agrees on something being ok, or the right way to do it. And that people dont ascribe too, or partake in that activity in the same way as others are not good, or ripping. Its 100% subjective, the sport is based on judging at the pro level, where people try to objectify speed, power and flow. I am %100 for local shaping, building, community. My argument I was trying to make was that even gaining access to that area of knowledge, i.e. waves, shaping skills, people to surf with is often fraught with road blocks, and people subjectively trying to decide if someone is a kook, or not.   

And yes i meant objectiveness, b/c we do not have any objective standards truly when it comes to surfing; the struggle is obviously in the dialectical tension created between these surf standards 'which we placate as objective', but are constantly being subjectively enforced, and re-capitulated. 
    « Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:21:45 AM by podge387 »

Offline sonandsurf

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 9
    • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 60.0.3112.101 Chrome 60.0.3112.101
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Go see Mike at NATURE SHAPES! Talk to your shaper!

Offline podge387

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 60.0.3112.101 Chrome 60.0.3112.101
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 09:36:49 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • This thread def got a bit out of control. Point I was trying to make is that obv hit up a local shaper as much as you can, and or get a semi local shaper second hand. But at the same time after helping many friends randoms learn to surf over the years, sometimes dropping $700.00 on a new board is not in the cards.

Offline Northstreet

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 72
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Browser:
    • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 09:48:52 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • my $.01....surfing is first aesthetic-ride a surfboard that you love. There is no reason to ride an ugly board. They all work.  Even the pro boards are designed to please the judges visual sense of contest style.  Getting a custom shape can be worth the planning and the wait.  The anticipation is half the fun too.  If it doesn't work (90% placebo effect except for this bonzer I can't get used to), plot and plan for the next one.  And when you find that perfect board, you can get the local guys to replicate it again and again-each time in a different color.