Author Topic: Shoulder Injuries  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Igotsoul4u

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 7
  • Soft hated: 1
  • Mac OS X 10.11.6 Mac OS X 10.11.6
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.90 Chrome 60.0.3112.90
    • View Profile
Re: Shoulder Injuries
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2017, 09:46:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I crashed badly in Hurricane Bill roughly 10 years ago.  I hit the bottom and didn't think much of it over then not being surprised it hurt.  The problem was that I kept surfing for a few months and things progressively got worse to the point that my shoulder was frozen.  I did not end up getting surgery and physical therapy helped immensely but it took a year to get to the therapy part.  I have scaled back my surfing by quite a bit saving my shoulder for days when it's stomach or more and not windy as all hell.  I have also been body boarding a ton which has grown on me as I have been getting better.  It definitely sucks, but crossing over that recovery threshold requires a lot of wisdom to not learn the hard way like me.  All I needed to do is stay out of the water for a few months and it would have been much less of an issue.

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 59.0.3071.115 Chrome 59.0.3071.115
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #31 on: August 09, 2017, 01:07:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I crashed badly in Hurricane Bill roughly 10 years ago.  I hit the bottom and didn't think much of it over then not being surprised it hurt.  The problem was that I kept surfing for a few months and things progressively got worse to the point that my shoulder was frozen.  I did not end up getting surgery and physical therapy helped immensely but it took a year to get to the therapy part.  I have scaled back my surfing by quite a bit saving my shoulder for days when it's stomach or more and not windy as all hell.  I have also been body boarding a ton which has grown on me as I have been getting better.  It definitely sucks, but crossing over that recovery threshold requires a lot of wisdom to not learn the hard way like me.  All I needed to do is stay out of the water for a few months and it would have been much less of an issue.

This is so true. So many times i've gone back in too quickly and it's cost me. Need to have the patience, and take the time, sometimes months, that you really need to heal. But don't just stop moving, keep doing other exercises that do not hurt your shoulder.

Offline JayI

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 16
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Browser:
    • Safari 10.1.2 Safari 10.1.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 12:30:10 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I crashed badly in Hurricane Bill roughly 10 years ago. 

I cant believe its been that long. You're reminding us how old we are .

Offline DEADMULE

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 26
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 60.0.3112.90 Chrome 60.0.3112.90
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 09:47:33 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have been working my way back into the water after a shoulder dislocation. It was 6+ months of active PT and massage therapy, still not 100 %. All I can say is don't over do it and listen to your body. It does feel good to get back even if its 10 months later.

Offline surf110

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
    • please be something left
    • Mac OS X 10.10.5 Mac OS X 10.10.5
    • Browser:
    • Safari 10.1.2 Safari 10.1.2
      • AOL Instant Messenger - surf110@aol.com
      • View Profile
      • SHOREBOARDZ
      • Email
    « Reply #34 on: August 20, 2017, 02:01:29 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Ive had 3 rotator cuff surgeries over the last 20 years each time I was fine after 6 months. Im 61 now and surf 4 hour sessions and feel no pain at all. I surf on bigger days no problem. I had to curtail ball and tennis because i do not want to do major impact sports that can f it up again I nee to be able to surf and play guitar.
    All 3 surgeries were different tears 2 of them were almost complete and i have full motion after each surgery.
    I never thought physical therapy alone without surgery did anything and cortisone shots did nothing as well.

Offline Smith St. Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 37
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 60.0.3112.113 Chrome 60.0.3112.113
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 03:17:04 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • There's no way to deal with this and still surf. I think the key to these kinds of issues is to be out of the water, sometimes for extended periods. a week or two isn't going to cut it. At minimum, months, and sometimes even 2-3 years. And the fact remains that if you continue to surf into your latter years, you're doing constant damage to your shoulders. all those repetitive movements add up over the years, not not mention issues with your neck, back, spine, elbows.

There's wisdom here as much as it's hard to swallow.  I've, knock wood, been pretty lucky with shoulders though many friends I've seen have problems. Had a hip injury in the spring, pain on every pop up, kept trying to "surf" it out but hurt it more each session. Finally got it looked at. No tears, or structural damage but inflammation and tendinitis. Only thing I could do was just stop doing what was hurting it. Which was unfortunately popping up.  Didn't surf a wave for over 4 months.  Spent a lot less time at beach, but when around waves I took out my smaller fish and body boarded. Recently bought fins as well and starting to really enjoy body surfing which is a whole different kind of stoke and much easier on the body.  Happy to report that I'm on vacation in Cali and after taking the time off brown trout healed and surfed almost every day the last 10. I think getting older...new exercises to explore for sure but also a bit of a shift of the mental game.  The long game.

Offline GamGam

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 10
    • "Personal Text" Here.
    • Mac OS X 10.12.6 Mac OS X 10.12.6
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 60.0.3112.113 Chrome 60.0.3112.113
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: September 03, 2017, 12:08:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I wouldn't muck about on this particularly if you are over 35.  Things just don't heal like they used to after that point.  I've been out of the water for a year due to a knee injury.  Get an MRI and an XRay, stat.  I had an amazing experience with a doctor at the HSS in NYC who shaved off a portion of my meniscus which was torn.  Wish I did it two years ago.  PT did very little for me- I'm on to strength training now and that seems to be helping out.  I'm rarely on here but will be tracking IRMA so feel free to PM me.

Offline Bru

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 19
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: September 06, 2017, 08:12:33 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks...good to hear yet another rave review of the HSS. That's the next thing I need to do once my life slows down for a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bru

• Regular (Silver)
    • Mac OS X 10.10 Mac OS X 10.10
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 55.0 Firefox 55.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • After chasing around my physician, insurance co and HSS for a week, apparently the HSS they can't give me an appointment until March. 

Of course, they're out of network so no one will be able to tell me what things will cost until I get the bill. 

Somebody shoot me now.

Online avaday

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 17
    • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 61.0.3163.100 Chrome 61.0.3163.100
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: October 13, 2017, 11:55:05 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • accupuncture..worked better than any P/T for me.  swimming..or more, exercises in water.  changing my surf stroke...to be more forward and less to teh side and over the top...all worked.

i dislocated my shoulder for the first time in my life in feb 2016 resulting in a torn labrum.  no fix for that other than surgery.  i didn't want to do surgery, so i did the above. was surfing by memorial day full on...been surfing ever since...2 years almost...would say 90%, sometimes it hurts, i limit my sessions to 1 hour, still can be 5 hours or more in a day...but no more marathon sessions...unless its epic...did a few 3 hours hurricane sessions...but i felt it the next day...i ice if i feel pain.

i'm 50.  had rotator cuff surgery when i was 30...didn't know any better, but it worked. so two routes for you there.  i can recommend surgeons and acupuncture guys if you need.

Offline Bru

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: October 13, 2017, 07:57:48 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • sent u a PM avaday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk