Author Topic: Save The Bowl  (Read 841 times)

Offline Jaxson_Dobbs

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
  • Liked: 4
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Save The Bowl
« on: December 08, 2019, 10:54:45 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Any Hampton Bays Locals in this forum? What do you guys think of the recent Emergency Dredging Project at the Shinnecock Inlet? How will this affect the waves in that area?  The Bowl is probably my favorite spot on Long Island when it is on. I've occasionally surfed Clamdiggers too. I've never paddled into Threes, but enjoy watching that spot the rare times it works.

It seems to me a lot of money is being spent to keep the eastern portion of Dune Rd open.  I understand the Commercial Fishing Fleet is docked there and there are a couple of restaurants. But how much money can you expect taxpayers to shell out for these few things?  The majority of taxpayers would probably disagree with me but, I don't mind spending some tax revenue if the waves improve. IF and when they improve. 

The Army Core of Engineers couldn't care less about Surfers. How can we convince the powers that be that be, that a good surfing wave can be an asset for the local economy?  Now, this might be unpopular to the hardcore locals, but you're gonna have to share since we all pay taxes. But if we don't organize and present some kind of plan, I'm afraid we could loose these waves.  I found some good information on the long-term plan between Montauk and Fire Island: https://www.nan.usace.army.mil/Media/Fact-Sheets/Fact-Sheet-Article-View/Article/487483/fact-sheet-fire-island-to-montauk-point/  The big question is, if a plan benefiting Surfers along with the general public can be drafted, who would we present it to? 

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Offline JayI

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 16
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Mac OS X 10.15.1 Mac OS X 10.15.1
    • Browser:
    • Safari 13.0.3 Safari 13.0.3
      • View Profile
    Re: Save The Bowl
    « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 01:19:53 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I live in the area, Flanders to be exact but this is where I surf year round. My brother in law has a boat at the commercial dock too. We both agree its a total waste of money.
    There is a way to fix the situation that pleases all of us but they will never do it. They rather flush the money down the toilet after every storm instead of a real solution.

The town is almost impossible to deal with and I wouldn't want to be the one to try and change their minds.

Im all for standing together and will show my support. We should try to get surfrider involved if that's still a thing.

Offline JayI

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 16
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Mac OS X 10.15.1 Mac OS X 10.15.1
    • Browser:
    • Safari 13.0.3 Safari 13.0.3
      • View Profile
    « Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 01:46:52 PM by JayI »

Offline Jaxson_Dobbs

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 4
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 05:52:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I live in the area, Flanders to be exact but this is where I surf year round. My brother in law has a boat at the commercial dock too. We both agree its a total waste of money.
    There is a way to fix the situation that pleases all of us but they will never do it. They rather flush the money down the toilet after every storm instead of a real solution.

The town is almost impossible to deal with and I wouldn't want to be the one to try and change their minds.

Im all for standing together and will show my support. We should try to get surfrider involved if that's still a thing.
    I've reached out to Eastern LI Surfrider on Facebook, but I haven't heard back from them. The NYC chapter has responded, but they don't really work out here. I can only imagine what it's like dealing with the town. I wish Surfers had a lobby like LIBBA. But all they care about are Fishermen with 4x4's.

I'm curious to hear your solution.  Do you think a permanent sand pumping operation like the Australian Superbank would work here?  I have no idea what that costs and I'd imagine it would be super difficult to convince anyone who doesn't surf that it would be worth it..

Thanks for the link. I especially enjoyed the historical aspect and I'm now following that page.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Offline frontsidecrotchgrab

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 19
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 12.1.1 Safari 12.1.1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 01:10:33 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I surf there whenever Iím visiting family out East. Iíve had a lot of memorable sessions with the whole family there. Really hope they dont kill it. Not sure what the permanent solution would be.
    Keep us posted

Offline uncutproducts

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 90
    • Mac OS X 10.15.2 Mac OS X 10.15.2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 79.0.3945.130 Chrome 79.0.3945.130
      • AOL Instant Messenger - uncutproductsny
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 02:07:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Total waste of money. Fun wave when there's a ton of east in it.

Way to fix it is move the commercial docks inside the bay to the old Ponqogue bridge by the coast guard station and stop throwing money into the ocean.