Author Topic: RIP NYHC  (Read 2294 times)

Offline waterwolfnyc

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 5
  • Soft hated: 0
  • There was madness in any direction, at any hour.
  • Mac OS X 10.14.1 Mac OS X 10.14.1
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 71.0.3578.98 Chrome 71.0.3578.98
    • MSN Messenger - waterwolfnyc@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
RIP NYHC
« on: December 26, 2018, 12:39:33 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Tim, you were a beacon of light in Rockaway Beach and a beauty to behold bro - thank you for everything.
    We're gonna miss you big time. Rest in peace and surf the heavens brother.

Til we meet again. God bless.
    "If a man could pass through Paradise in a dream, and have a flower presented to him as a pledge that his soul had really been there, and if he found that flower in his hand when he awake - Aye, what then?" - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 322
    • Soft hated: 12
    • Linux Linux
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 71.0.3578.99 Chrome 71.0.3578.99
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: RIP NYHC
    « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 07:47:59 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  •  :'(

Oh geez, so sorry to hear about this
     Rip in peace
    "paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

Offline RayG

• Hoon
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 189
    • Soft hated: 10
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 71.0.3578.80 Chrome 71.0.3578.80
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 09:10:18 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • A true Sandflea... Aloha.
    Sent from Coleco Vision NEC Zilog Z80A CPU

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 774
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.11.6 Mac OS X 10.11.6
    • Browser:
    • Safari 11.1.2 Safari 11.1.2
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 09:35:24 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Tim Hill was one of a kind - a true friend in good times and bad. He made me look at the world differently, he made me rethink things that I took for gospel truth, and he shared with so many good times with so many of us that it would be impossible to recount them all. He was our friend and our brother and his spirit was and is so strong that it will endure in all of us.

Rest in Peace, my friend.

Photocredit? This was in my iPhoto Library from 2005 but I have no recollection of taking this shot. The composition is so good that I tend to doubt it could be mine, and wouldn't be surprised at all if it was shot by Susannah Ray. If anyone knows for sure, let me know. Regardless, for me, it captures Tim's spirit - always with a smile and that somewhat impish "I'm up to something" look that spoke to his sense of adventure, or as EZ_Ed would say, his "Ne'er-do-well" nature.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Årne Longbörgenssen

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 310
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Gil wouldn't go....
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 12.0 Safari 12.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 10:21:57 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • How awful. My condolences to his family.
    Tim was the first one of this crew I met, at fleafest I or II.
    NYHC indeed.
    The energy contained in one kilogram of thorium
    equals four thousand tons of coal

Offline lisa

• SFSC
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 3
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 12.0 Safari 12.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 10:55:40 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I am still having a hard time believing he is gone.  I have no words.  I want to post his Sandflea song once I figure out how to cut and paste on my phone.
    « Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 11:02:56 AM by lisa »

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Gil wouldn't go....
    • Mac OS X 10.14 Mac OS X 10.14
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 64.0 Firefox 64.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 11:28:37 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• The energy contained in one kilogram of thorium

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Gil wouldn't go....
    • Mac OS X 10.14 Mac OS X 10.14
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 64.0 Firefox 64.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 11:39:27 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• The energy contained in one kilogram of thorium

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 774
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.11.6 Mac OS X 10.11.6
    • Browser:
    • Safari 11.1.2 Safari 11.1.2
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 11:53:30 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • It's time for a Sand Flea reunion - to honor his memory and because we're a family - we all really need to see each other.

I spoke to Jake this morning and amongst so many other things and in between the tears and our choked up voices, I told him how I had just watched the "Momentum Generation" film on HBO the other day about Kelly, Rob, Benji Weatherly, Ross Williams, Shane Dorian, Kalani Robb, Taylor Knox, Taylor Steele, etc and how they had been so close until life pulled them apart and in different directions...and how they came back to be in some ways closer than ever - still living their own lives, but bound together by those special years. Let me tell you - those guys have nothing on us.

For right now, we all mourn for Tim and will pray for his wife and daughter and will prepare in our own private way to say our personal goodbye - but soon enough we need to get together. Details to follow soon.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline R Skorney

• Site Photographer
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
    • Mac OS X 10.13.6 Mac OS X 10.13.6
    • Browser:
    • Safari 12.0.2 Safari 12.0.2
      • View Profile
      • R. Skorney's Home Page
      • Email
    « Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 12:40:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thats sad news, on a what should be a Joyous day. I liked Tim. He was one of the few at the Bungalow that I had some maningfull conversations with. Does anyone know his birthday? Years back he sent me a few beautiful Audubon books, on birds. I mean really beautifully illustrated. I would like to make a notation inside the covers of his DOB and DOD. This way, when I open the books, I have something to remember him by. RIP my friend. :'(
    « Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 12:42:35 PM by R Skorney »

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 206
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 02:19:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • There will be a candlelight memorial this Friday Dec 28 at the B91 st Community Garden at 6PM. 

Keeping with Tim's spirit of conservation and disdain for litterbugs (and all other types of fools), there has been a request that people use some sort of battery powered or electric candle (cell phone flashlight) as a source of light to reduce waste.

If you haven't heard Thomas Brookins testimony for ol Tim on FB, take a moment to do so at some point. It says it all.
    So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Offline RayG

• Hoon
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 189
    • Soft hated: 10
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 71.0.3578.80 Chrome 71.0.3578.80
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 02:43:45 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • In case there are those that can't access Thomas' FB page or read tribute, here it is:

I am so bewildered & confused. It’s hard to understand this but my old friend Tim Hill passed away today. So young. We had some of the most wild & crazy times together. Like a weird family. His weird bent wrist hand shakes. We have silly stories of parties, him passed out in a Brooklyn bar as an old drunk drew on his face, the time he pulled his pants down & skated down 5th in Park Slope Brooklyn mocking the new hipsters moving in & embarassing a few ladies. Lol! He was 1 of the original “Sand Fleas” our semi fictional surf club when there wasn’t allot of surfers in NYC. We had had each other, a rag tag mix of personalities joined for the common purpose of surfing & comradery & literally marathons of partying. He BBQed in the middle of winter with 2 foot of snow around him in flip flops, board shorts & a 70’s Hawaiin shirt. He seemed impervious to the cold. Jess was just looking at his Bananas Foster recipe that he wrote & drew silly pictures on for us. He loved good blues & country songs. Quoted them constantly. He was cynical as they come, a classic Indie rocker with his scratchy voice, rebutted everything. Hated if anything got too clicky. He was a deep thinker, full of conviction & gave you an opinion wether you wanted or needed it or not. I argued with him so many times on that. We drove day & night in an old van partying around New York City like a weird bunch teens blasting punk rock music & laughing it up annoying the town like we were out of an 80’s Molly Ringwald movie. He had a rough patch for a while & cut his friends off to heal, get healthy and when he was ready, he lived true to his “Transform” tattoo & he came back with his usually rough outlook & comical remarks. His hard work in the community led to the city granting him a community garden on 91st st & it helped spread happiness through the area long before the gentrification we see today. He seemed rough on the outside but much like any artist, they love as hard as they think. He met his wife Kiva & that was it. He changed. He was absolutely entrenched in her life & then he had their duaghter & Tim found his calling. He loved his lil baby girl & a healthy beam of pride radiated like a new scientific discovery that changed the world. A while back he started having weird seizures. Made no sense & he told me Docs couldn’t figure it out but as time went on it seemed to be correcting itself. He got the ok to surf & drive. (This was what he explained to me) I got the message that yesterday he had one again & he went into cardiac arrest. He died today & I can’t emote correctly. I feel sad but think about him & smile over his whacky stories. I loved him as a friend & was so camp about my annoying moments with him. Took it for granted but like family you don’t think about it till it’s too late. It’s really difficult to get. It hurts on the top of my head & its numb on my right ear just thinking about today & his family. Tim, my old friend, I’m sorry. Hope you rest peacefully & know that through it all, we all loved you. You weird sonovabitch of an old soul, you are part of my life story, I am you & You are me. I’ll miss you. Rockaway will miss you. Uhg.... I’m so sorry for your loss Kiva. We are thinking of you. RIP Tim Hill. SFSC forever homie. Just Damn.
    Sent from Coleco Vision NEC Zilog Z80A CPU

Offline 16ASteadyrock

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 0
    • Mac OS X 10.14.1 Mac OS X 10.14.1
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 03:08:57 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Deeply, deeply sorry to hear -- when Kazu called this morning, I hoped it might just be a rumor unfounded.

Tim was one of my very first good Rockaway surf pals, a big, singular, unforgettable personality. Truly.

This is a sad shock and painful loss -- for many.

And it makes me think of Patrick Elasik too.

Prayers.

Wookin' pa waves...

Offline Badfish

• SFSC
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 60
    • Soft hated: 2
    • The Forgotten Sandflea
    • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 11:10:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Just shocked and so sad to hear this. Hard to believe that I've known Tim for half my life. I still (hazily) remember Tim hanging back with me after the Hodeo while I sobered up for the drive home. Come to think of it, I think he was the first person to ever offer me a joint. I was a kid but he spoke to me like he would anyone else - he was frank, opinionated and his defiantly his own person. Years later, I moved onto his block in Rock and got to know him a bit more, watch him soften his exterior as he became a husband and father.

It was a pleasure to have known him and I hope he's now hanging ten on that great plimmatron in the sky. 
    Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality. - Bertrand Russell

Offline nydubstar

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 46
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 67.0.3396.87 Chrome 67.0.3396.87
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 11:50:07 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down