Author Topic: Rio de Janeiro  (Read 866 times)

Offline Bacon

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 263
  • Soft hated: 27
  • 5'2" or nothin' bru
    • View Profile
Rio de Janeiro
« on: August 09, 2005, 08:48:28 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Okay... after much time wasted haggling with airlines and travel agents in an attempt to put together a last minute get away that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg (tried Madeira, Iceland, Nova Scotia, et al), I'm leaving for Rio next week.  Who's been there?  Who's from there?  Who can give me tips, pointers, spots, etc.?
    I need the sea because it teaches me.

Offline sir_schadenfreude

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Have you seen him?
      • View Profile
    Re: Rio de Janeiro
    « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 10:01:42 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • It is fun.  Surf is spotty, localized in the city.  Water is chilly, so bring a shorty or a thin suit.  Most locals trunk it anyway because they can't afford suits.  Rio is a very cool place to check out on land.  I highly recommend staying at the Arpoador Inn, the only hotel on the beach. Reasonable, clean, 50ft away from the main peak in the city, a couple of blocks from all the surf shops.  Like I said, watch those locals when it gets crowded.  The goons are a lazy bunch, though, so you can pretty much avoid them and the crowds by waking up early.  There are busses and vans that will take you to the other surf spots in the area for a couple of reals.  I understand there is supposed to be great surf in Niteroi, but I haven't sampled it.  I'm a whore for modern architecture, so I love Rio for that.  Music scene is pretty good too. ::)

There are lots of inexpensive locally made boards.  The last time I went I left my board at home, saved on the board fee one way, and picked up a great new stick for $200.  I had planned on selling it when I got back, but I like it and ride it all the time.

Have fun!  Wish I was going!

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Have you seen him?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 10:05:58 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• Offline Bacon

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • 5'2" or nothin' bru
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 11:22:54 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks for the tips.  Staying in the Rio Ducasse Hotel... a few blocks from Atlantica on Copacabana, and not too far from Aproador.  I planned on picking up a local board to save myself the hassle on the way down, so I'm glad to hear they come cheap.  What's chilly for end of winter in Brazil?  I see the airtemps are in the low 80's right now.  Wondering how cold the water might be. 

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Have you seen him?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 01:32:20 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I'd guess low 60s in Rio this time of year.  It hurts the balls to get in, and I had blue lips after about 30 minutes.  My GF and I ended up at the Arpoador Inn after the place our travel agent had booked us into in Copacobana was a total dump.  Copa is more dodgy at night than Ipanema, and the hotels are generally older and run-down.  There is a lot of sex tourism there that is pretty sketch. Also, Copacobana beach is not surfable except at the Ipanema end occassionally.  Check it out if your spot doesn't work out.  Have fun!

Psycho

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 06:34:41 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • GS, when didja descide to take a Vaca? Is Sasha going? She would look hot in Rio. ;D If we didnt have so much crazy wedding crap & family junk going on this year, I would go to Rio. Let me know when ya get back how the costs & junk are.

Offline Bacon

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • 5'2" or nothin' bru
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 07:59:55 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Psycho... got a great package...  hotel and flights through orbitz.  Yeah... Kasia's coming.  Hope she doesn't run off with the guy with the tightest mankini.  :)  I'll tell you all about it this weekend, and then fill you in on the additional details when we get back on the 26th.

Offline boyeee

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • ...feelin' great since '78
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 08:00:42 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • rio is a good time... i suggest if you plan on chilling by the beach (when you are not surfing) go to ipanema - its much nicer than copa cobana and the eye candy is crazy

there is a strip full of surfshops where you can buy a cheap board... the water was pretty chilly when i was there (early september 2002)

try to check out a soccer game at the stadium - its pretty crazy.  the concierge at your hotel can hook it up... and they can also give you the good night life spots... and there are plenty.  the women are aggressive in the night clubs lol be careful...

oh and try to learn a little basic porchugese - no one speaks english

tuto bem!
    « Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 08:04:25 AM by boyeee »
    team freeloader!

Offline boyeee

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • ...feelin' great since '78
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 08:02:50 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i posted before you replied... dude you are bringing your girlfriend.... its brazil.   its like bringing sand to the beach. 

ron give me a call i'll give you whatever info i can remember from my trip there.  dont forget to go to the consolate to get your travel visa!!

jeremy
    team freeloader!

Psycho

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 08:11:36 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • take lots of Pictures of the "Local Scenery" I heard theyre hot down yonder. ;D

Offline rockawaybum

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 10:12:20 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ron, no koooks aloud sorry...
    double concave to a single to a triple back to a double to single to a vee out. 41 fins ,721 channels, 2107 pinlines, 88oz glass on top and 68 oz  glass on the bottom. blue, yellow,orange,green resin tint.

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 11:19:31 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • OK, we changed our plans.... I'm bringing Donald to Rio so he can drop in on you all day and get us all beaten up by the locals.
    It's no better to be safe than sorry....