Author Topic: Riding the short bus  (Read 1340 times)

Psycho

Riding the short bus
« on: July 26, 2005, 06:53:45 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Welp, on the advice of Seacliff I used his T&C yesterday & paddled out in the chop, Other than getting a workout & a half on the big uglies, I had a frickin blast. I dropped into many waves but 3 in particular were sick, 2 lefts that went forever & 1 right that dropped me off in downtown Tokyo. I didnt think I could surf a day like that on a 7/6. Kinda short for me being a brand new stand up but I dun good! Although I think its too big. (believe Im sayin that?)

It felt like a snowboard to me but I had a problem, I saw a section that looked like it was gonna be a great spot for a sick lil floater. I tried to gun up the face of the wave right before the close out & as I turned up onto the top of the wave (Thinking I'd Glide across it) it just kinda threw the board side ways & I landed in the flat with all the white wash. I was stoked that I kinda pulled a lil ollie but I was completely off base thinkin I would pull a floater on my 1rst day out on a waste to chest high day on a semi short board.

OK so 1rst off, i think I was way to far back on the board. Should I be up towards the middle of the board to pull one of the these off?

On the other hand I was out for about 4 & a half hours untill I couldnt paddle anymore & my arms felt like spaggetti but I had a great time & thanks for the Usage of the T&C will! Looks like Im gonna be in the market for a new board soon. What do yall think of this?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7171370821&category=22710&rd=1

or this?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7171529678&category=22710&rd=1
    « Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 07:54:41 AM by Psycho »

sunset gun

Re: Riding the short bus
    « Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 08:21:30 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Psycho,
    I’d say the first is too big (didn’t you say the board you just road felt a little too big?) and the Merrick is probably a little too small.  One thing to consider is the width and the planing ability and stability it imparts.  You are an experienced waterman who just hasn’t done a lot of stand-up surfing so I’d say you could go pretty short (maybe 6’6” or 6’4”) but keep the board a little wider, nothing under 19” and I’d say 20 or 21” would probably be ideal.  You’ll catch a lot of waves and the relatively short length will keep swing weight down and let you carve all over the place.  Also, go for flat rocker (something along the lines of a mid-length Flyer would work great).

You will probably have a little initial frustration catching waves but once you get past that you’ll have a much more versatile board than anything 7’ or over.  But if you go narrower than 19 or maybe even 19 ˝ the board will feel very squirrelly for a while.  Hope this helps.

Psycho

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 08:27:33 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yeah man thanks, I know the T&C I rode yesterday was pretty narrow & I could really feel alot of wobbly turns but then again the chop was unreal. I can see how the wider board would be better. Im thinkin maybe a nice fat fish.

sunset gun

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 08:33:13 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I concur, a fish, whether modern or traditional (not retro) would be a great choice.

Psycho

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 09:24:35 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Why not a retro, cuz it'll prolly be a singel fin?

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 206
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 09:31:39 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Psycho,

Once I get the fins back on my 6'4" Spectrum out of the Bodega, it's yours for the asking any time.

So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Psycho

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 09:33:29 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks my brother. Vice versa, any board of mine is a board of yours! Everytime I ride a different size or shape I get stoked & think its the next greatrest thing ever, Im like a kid in a candy store lately.
    « Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 09:35:04 AM by Psycho »

Offline boyeee

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
    • ...feelin' great since '78
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 09:40:33 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 6'0 or nothing!
    team freeloader!

Psycho

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 09:41:31 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Speaking of your room, theres a white board in there about 6 or more feet, whats that?

sunset gun

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 09:47:53 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Why not a retro, cuz it'll prolly be a singel fin?

No, sorry for the misundersatnding, I was making a semantic distinction.  Not retro in the sense that most traditional fish (Lis-style outline, wide and deep swallow tail) being made these days have been updated with modern bottom contours, foils, etc.  If you say retro people think you mean a 70's replica with all the old perfomance limitations of those boards (i.e. tracking, blockey un-repsonsive rails, etc.).  You probably want to go used at this point but if not talk to BP, he could make you a very nice traditional fish or a postmodern swallow-tailed thruster/fish.  Either would work great for you and he will know how each needs to be adjusted dimensions-wise to suit your needs.  Generally, the po-mo fish will be a bit longer than the traditional.

Offline boyeee

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
    • ...feelin' great since '78
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 10:11:58 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Speaking of your room, theres a white board in there about 6 or more feet, whats that?

i think there were only two in my room when you were over... i had the 5'8 quad and my 6'3 lost (which got dropped off to be fixed) out on the isalnd with me..

there was my 6'1 thruster and my 5'6 80's board still on the racks... the 80's board is more of a yellow now though
    team freeloader!

Offline Spindrift

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 3
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 11:28:11 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Damn I wish I went out last night. But I couldn't get outta work early enough. Oh well, caught the DP today fun but slightly dissapointing.

Welp, on the advice of Seacliff I used his T&C yesterday & paddled out in the chop, Other than getting a workout & a half on the big uglies, I had a frickin blast. I dropped into many waves but 3 in particular were sick, 2 lefts that went forever & 1 right that dropped me off in downtown Tokyo. I didnt think I could surf a day like that on a 7/6. Kinda short for me being a brand new stand up but I dun good! Although I think its too big. (believe Im sayin that?)
    It

jscottk

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 12:45:46 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • First board is too big, for you anyway by just a bit.
    Second board is to small, by a lot.  See?, this is why we have BP build perfect size boards for us.

Also, all though I cannot deny that Al Merricks computers "shape" possible the finest shortboard around, I will never forgive him for taking out a full page add in surfer magazine telling everyone to go see the most important movie of our lives......."The Passion"  I am not angry about having some one shove their religious views in my face, be them historically inaccurate or not, just mad that He overlooked so many other important movie like "ShowGirls" and The Bad News Bears go toTokyo"

In Short welcome to the next step in your evolution and have  BP build you a board...
    « Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 12:47:30 PM by jscottk »

Psycho

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 01:15:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Who? What? where? LOL!

No evolution, just expansion. ;) If anything I regress daily. ;D

Mims

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 01:23:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey Psycho, I'll trade Timebombs with you.  ;)