Author Topic: a place i have never surfed  (Read 1054 times)

Offline moses_is_crowded

• Local Access
  • Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 3
  • Soft hated: 1
    • View Profile
a place i have never surfed
« on: August 16, 2005, 08:36:48 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Rockaway!!!  Over 10+ years in the water and I never checked it, surfed it, seriously considered it, nada.   Surfed montauk, hamptons, secret central spots, not so secret central spots, localized no no spots, LB, the great south bay, my parents old pool, cali, hawaii but i don't even really know how to get the rock!

Weird.  Maybe one day this fall.

Offline surfnli

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
    • Soft hated: 2
      • View Profile
    Re: a place i have never surfed
    « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 09:37:13 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • same here.  actually i've never really surfed central either.  not much desire to.  pretty happy with what i have.  who knows--maybe i'll show up at rock and drop in on jake just for kicks sometime  :)

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 09:41:53 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • you guys aint missing anything. unless you like to surf bodies instead of water.

Offline moses_is_crowded

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 10:12:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • surfnli...i'll show you around central.....so many breaks, always empty and firing.....and outer central goes off

ya_bloody_wanka

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 10:20:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ive never surfed rockaway. never bothered figured it was the same as lb pretty much. rock is really the only area ive never surfed on li

Offline dynamite

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 10:33:51 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • moses just curious, what is your range of central LI?  That is, how far east are you talking?  I can only think of a few that are empty and firing, but it depends on where your central LI and eastern LI line is drawn..
    by the way, I have never surfed Rock either, but I have checked it before.  Drove over some bridge where I had to pay a toll and then drove through from somewhere around 30st all the way west...
    « Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 10:36:03 PM by dynamite »
    howdy

Offline moses_is_crowded

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 11:05:17 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • dynamite....i was being sarcastic and actually referring to robert m0ses but it always comes out as central...as if that break needed to be protected.

i am about 1 min from the causeway...i would think once you get east of fire island national seashore there are plenty of bars that are hard to get to and quite fun

Offline rockawaybum

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 11:32:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • straight up G H E T T O hurr non of u wannabes are welcome

but seriously if ur coming PM ill show where jake lives and how to snake him in3 easy steps
    double concave to a single to a triple back to a double to single to a vee out. 41 fins ,721 channels, 2107 pinlines, 88oz glass on top and 68 oz  glass on the bottom. blue, yellow,orange,green resin tint.

Psycho

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 05:56:46 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • LOL! Yeah NS3 is striaght up ghetto & then it is clogged with citiot filled waters, thanks to all the hype over the last couple of years. People talk alotta junk about it but you must have heart to surf there. The jetties create horrid rip tides in the winter & hurricanes becuase theyre so close together. Thats why i always feel like a frickin pro when I go to other spots.

Thats why its frustrating for us with all the Newbs & jerz folks that rolled up this summer. I love meeting people but dang, not in the water here. LOL! Then you have poeple that come here for the 1rst time & see a bunch of innocent citiot newbees & think , NS3 isnt so bad, look at these doofs, but all the poeple who surf well are either mixed into the gigantic crowds in the summer or you only see em at dawns early light. Ya gotta know when to surf there if ya wanna surf comfortable or your gonna get P.O.ed.  the true Sign of a core surfer at Rock-ness is the neighborhood & living with in it, hangin out in it, being completely vulnerable to a lifestyle people dont understand. people wanna come surf it & leave but you wait just a few minutes after dark & walk away from the board walk & walah, your not in a surfy cute sunny environment anymore, its now pretty much east New York-ish, the crime is dangerrously in your face. The people there are dangerous, the hood is crime ridden, the police are almost non existant & you know your on your own there. You must have balls or know someone to manage a walk  even to the store sometimes & if your used to a suburban lifestyle, you may get freaked out. I love it, Im used to living in bad neighborhoods from my youth. I feel at home here & hope to move into the community soon permanently & not just live out of a Bungalo. Maybe it will eventually get better but for now, I'll take it for what it is.

If you wanna surf the NSSS, please PM us, come on a weekend & stay for an evening, feel the vibe, look at the surroundings, you will def, appreaciate the NS3 & respect the people when you see what its like to make a life in a place no one really wants to be. Most people hate it, but theres a down to earth beauty there hidden between the eyes of every regular at that beach. I love the Ns3 & ya def gotta have heart to really belong there.

P.S. it aint hard to find Jake, He's the big azz dude screamin at the top of his lungs at Kooks in his way.
    « Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 06:04:18 AM by Psycho »

Offline dynamite

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 07:15:33 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • dynamite....i was being sarcastic and actually referring to robert m0ses but it always comes out as central...as if that break needed to be protected.

i am about 1 min from the causeway...i would think once you get east of fire island national seashore there are plenty of bars that are hard to get to and quite fun

Ah, yes now I got it. sorry for the misunderstanding.  But you're probably right, there have to be plenty of good break somewhere down the fire island seashore.....
    howdy

Offline Spindrift

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 09:45:02 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i never surfed Rock until last year. but over this past year I have surfed it a lot.

lately i've been doing Rock during the week and LB on weekends.

the nicest thing about rock is there is a legitimate surfer community there and i have had just as much fun at Rock post session parties, BBQs, dinners, beers, etc. as I have had in the water.

Psycho

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 01:07:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Werd bruva, How can ya surf with out havin friendships & full bellies once in a while. ;)

Offline three_fins_out

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 35
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 02:10:33 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • rock is fun but the water quality is poor. better on east swell while lb is better on southies. central is also fun but more fickle as the sandbars can make or brake a session. east end can be really good but when it is everyones on the few quality reefs/points...

can you here me now...good

Offline VenturaLocal

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Some day, I'll surf every day
      • AOL Instant Messenger - Stigbk
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 03:10:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I figure if it came to getting waves in NY- I'd go to any spot that was breaking - regardless of where I live (unless confined to the subway of course).

Offline lisurfer16

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 12:33:00 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • there are many amazing  breaks in the central area. I tend to stay away from m0ses becuase it makes it kinda an adventure wen i finally do make the trek. One word 'the rocks' also known as 38 and a bunch of other names. Central is all about limited access. Those who walk find the new breaks and the empty peaks.