Author Topic: Personal Review/Experience with Natures Shapes  (Read 13340 times)

Offline Kyle

• Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 205
  • Soft hated: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Review: Faktion Surfboards vs Natures Shapes
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 01:36:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• What a tool. Petro rocks. Great shaper and awesome human. He built me this awesomeness:

Boy I really like this awesomeness.

Offline nose_manual

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 46
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 30.0 Firefox 30.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: July 20, 2014, 11:34:16 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Can't say that I have the pleasure of owning one of Petro's boards, but he has done several ding repairs for me, each of which was done perfectly, in a timely fashion, at a totally reasonable price.  Seems like a solid dude. 

As for customs and dimensions, I feel like it's a shaper's prerogative to be a little loose with dimensions, unless you're really, really specific about exactly what you want.  I know the term "loose" is up for interpretation, but as a case in point I just found myself second guessing something that a shaper suggested for me in a board he's building for me now.  Then I came to my senses and realized that it is 100% likely that he knows vastly more about this stuff than I will ever know, and I need to leave it in his hands.  I think dubstar is right when he says most of us wouldn't notice subtle (or not-so-subtle) design nuances, so for me, stressing them is pointless.

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 206
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 35.0.1916.153 Chrome 35.0.1916.153
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: July 20, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• I just tried on a buncha suit jackets the other day and believe me, there's a big difference between a size 44 and 46. So, with this in mind, I asked my initial question. [size=78%]I would think that there comes a point where the customer views the un-glassed blank and says "Um, this is a 5'8", I said 5'10," or visa-versa. If it reaches that point, what should the customer expect? Just curious.[/size]
    So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Offline Kyle

• Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: July 20, 2014, 02:54:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Do NSP's come in 2" intervals?

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: July 20, 2014, 06:46:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I would think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline f_leghorn

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 18
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #35 on: July 20, 2014, 08:30:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 7'-6" through 7'-10"

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: July 20, 2014, 09:20:39 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The NiSP pushes back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bacon

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 263
    • Soft hated: 27
    • 5'2" or nothin' bru
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 08:22:03 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• What a tool. Petro rocks. Great shaper and awesome human. He built me this awesomeness:

Boy I really like this awesomeness.

Ain't she a beaut?
    I need the sea because it teaches me.

Offline Seppo1

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 75
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Mac OS X 10.9.3 Mac OS X 10.9.3
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 36.0.1985.125 Chrome 36.0.1985.125
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 01:27:17 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have had the pleasure of working with both Mark and Becker for my shop. I've ordered boards from both shapers and have been super happy with them. They are both stand up guys and great surfers. I have also ordered custom boards from them as well and they have both shaped me some epic boards in a timely fashion.  I agree that the 80/20 rule does come in to effect and you can't please everyone. It's just statistics. It's unfortunate that you had a negative experience with Mark. Mark is great guy and knows his boards and surf history.
    I think there is an issue that is coming up more and more as more new surfers enter into surfing and they expect the same level of customer service as they would in many retail locations these days. And that is understandable but, I think many people miss the point of surfing. It's meant to humble you and be respectful of those who have come before you and many of the shapers. I think a lot of people forget that these shapers are craftsmen and artisans. They do everything from marketing, shaping, business, customer service, distribution and many other aspects. It's a really tough profession that pays little in return. I don't think it's unfair to ask some customers to learn patience and be a bit more understanding of these craftsmen. Our society keeps speeding up and fast food culture seems to be taking over peoples mindsets. More and more people want something instantly or yesterday. Surfing is about a process. You can't rush certain things whether it's learning to get to your feet, learning to do airs, or getting a board shaped. If you rush it or force it, it's never going to end up the way you want it. The ocean is a great reminder of that and many beginner surfers and not so beginner surfers lately seem to be missing that point.
    With many surf schools and retreats, and more and more wealthy people getting in to surfing, it feels like a lot of people are expecting surfing to be spoon fed to them. And that's not what surfing is about. Many people lack the historical reference of what it was like to learn to surf in the past. Many surfers I know who grew up surfing in the 50's and 60's had to make their own equipment, ride boards without leashes, ride boards that were big, heavy and unforgiving and they all learned to surf no problem with crude equipment. There is no reason why surfers today need the latest and greatest surf aid to teach them how to surf or make surfing easier for them. When things are easy, we lose appreciation of the act of what we are doing.
    So, I ask many surfers to learn some patience and tolerance. I believe in great customer service and the salesmen should do everything they can to please a customer but, I also believe that the promise of good customer service doesn't give a customer the right to act out of line or be rude and disrespectful either. Perhaps there was a miscommunication with Mark, and maybe it wasn't exactly what you wanted, but perhaps you as a customer could have approached things in a different way that would have worked out best for both parties concerned. And making the post like this came off juvenile clearly has not worked in your favor. There is a right way to approach things and you could have had more affect had you come across a bit more understanding and sympathetic. I claim to know the situation. I just know there are 3 sides to every story and generally, but not always, everyone has a responsibility in the outcome.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
    • Browser:
    • Safari 6.1.3 Safari 6.1.3
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #39 on: August 05, 2014, 09:18:44 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Just as a reminder, these guys don't just shape good boards, they repair them as well.

I just got a board back from Faktion for a repair. It's PERFECT. Thanks, Mark - I really appreciate it!!
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline NJ Longboarder

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 36
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 31.0 Firefox 31.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Personal Review: potrillo=douche

All press is good press so I might have to order a custom now.  I've never had a faktion or natures shapes. 

Offline potrillo

• Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 4
    • Mac OS X 10.9.3 Mac OS X 10.9.3
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0.4 Safari 7.0.4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: August 10, 2014, 05:38:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • _

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:08:35 PM by potrillo »

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 36.0.1985.125 Chrome 36.0.1985.125
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #42 on: August 10, 2014, 08:46:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• I'm not surprised that Faktion has some fanboy followers, as do most shapers. Surfing can be very cliquey after all.

Wow...very nice retort, potrillo. Fanboys? Really? So what you're really saying is that we're all a bunch of fools that would endure subpar work just because we like someone, and you're the only one brave enough to speak the truth. Oh, please, get the fark over yourself and spare us all the group insult. On any given day there are hundreds of surfers that visit this forum representing uncounted thousands of hours of experience with all manner of boards from shapers all over the region. And all of them...all of us....are "fanboys" in some sort of massive clique? Seriously?

How about you take stock of the situation in an adult manner and consider that if others had similar experiences to yours, they would have spoken up. The fact that your opinion was not supported by ANYONE should be telling you something. Here's the truth that you would like to conveniently ignore: Faktion has years of experience and many loyal, repeat customers, and your situation was the outlier.

This ONE shape didn't work out for you - you made your point. Move on.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline waveslider

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 38
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Linux Linux
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 36.0.1985.131 Chrome 36.0.1985.131
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: August 10, 2014, 09:34:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • You should have quit surfing when I told you to. Hopefully you traded it on craigslist for a pair of Rollerblades

Offline Kyle

• Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: August 10, 2014, 09:42:36 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Petro did amazing ding repair on numerous boards of mine and has made some real screamers that called for me to tap out my cc accounts.

Becker has glassed two boards for me. Both beautiful with insane glass jobs. The 2nd he put in futures instead of FCS but when I went white faced at pick up he fixed the situation. All good.

Both are great at what they do.

Potrillo, you get the dillo.