Author Topic: the paddle battle :( :(  (Read 1299 times)

Offline moses_is_crowded

• Local Access
  • Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 3
  • Soft hated: 1
    • View Profile
the paddle battle :( :(
« on: July 29, 2005, 08:44:42 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • When a set roles through and its me and another guy and I'm not in position I just let the person have it.  Even if I'm in position and I do not have the priority I let them have it.  I don't paddle right next to them or try to paddle around them real quick.. I don't get this mentality. Its even worse when the same guy I give a wave to without any hassle then paddles right inside of me or right next to me on the next wave when I have the position

I saw so many drop ins and paddle battles that just didn't need to happen.  I was at a well known crowded spot but it still irked me.  It doesn't have to be that way.  I can't remeber the last time I dropped in on someone b/c I make it a point to not let that happen...  If it does (which is very rare and a mistake)I immediatly apologize....I waited so long for a set wave today and when I finally picked one off, one guy tried and failed to drop in, and another dropped in and fell....both saw me b/c I gave them a "YO!" and both did not apoloze when I paddled back out....

I usually surf spots with the fewest people and today was a reminder of why.  Good to get in the water though.

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: the paddle battle :( :(
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 02:40:17 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
    Its even worse when the same guy I give a wave to without any hassle then paddles right inside of me or right next to me on the next wave when I have the position

yeah, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. if you let the guy have it without a battle he takes the next one figuring you're some kook. if you fight with him than you got battles the rest of the session.

i've had guys take a wave paddle back right in front of me to like 6 inches outside of where i'm lined up when it was only the two of us.

Offline srilanka

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 03:09:08 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • yea always the same problem and this applies for newbs that drop in because they dont know better and for seasoned watermen who feel that every wave is theirs.  not everyone does it, but enough people do.

Offline esa_ny

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 08:18:16 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • When a set roles through and its me and another guy and I'm not in position I just let the person have it.  Even if I'm in position and I do not have the priority I let them have it.  I don't paddle right next to them or try to paddle around them real quick.. I don't get this mentality. Its even worse when the same guy I give a wave to without any hassle then paddles right inside of me or right next to me on the next wave when I have the position

I saw so many drop ins and paddle battles that just didn't need to happen.  I was at a well known crowded spot but it still irked me.  It doesn't have to be that way.  I can't remeber the last time I dropped in on someone b/c I make it a point to not let that happen...  If it does (which is very rare and a mistake)I immediatly apologize....I waited so long for a set wave today and when I finally picked one off, one guy tried and failed to drop in, and another dropped in and fell....both saw me b/c I gave them a "YO!" and both did not apoloze when I paddled back out....

I usually surf spots with the fewest people and today was a reminder of why.  Good to get in the water though.

Yeah I hate when that happens too.  I was riding my longboard for the first time in a while this morning and this kooky guy named Jake kept hassling me with the paddle battle thingy, so on one wave I simply reached over and grabbed him by the waistband of his boardshorts and when half of his ass was exposed, he stopped paddling. :D  Neither one of us caught the wave, but at least Jake didn't get that one.  I wasn't entitled since I was paddling inside of him.  ;D ;D

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 08:27:49 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Even if I'm in position and I do not have the priority I let them have it. 

Being in position usually means you have priority.

I don't agree with snaking {paddling around people to gain postition} or dropping in, but if you were sitting there waiting for  waves and make no effort go to the peak I will probably paddle past you and take the wave. I ride a short board and can't take off on shoulders. If you make no effort to keep position or move toward a peak, I will usually hardly notice you and probably take the wave. I think there is a middle ground to competition in the line-up. I don't like it when it gets too heavy but any time there's a bunch of people and not very many waves, there's going to be some hassling. If it's not a really bad vibe in the water, you may just have to maintain position. If it's pretty heavy, and you can't take-off far enough back you pretty much need to find another spot. If you are a longboarder and I suspect you are, why not sit outside and catch the wave early like most longboarders?

I am fairly aggressive in the water but anyone on a longboard or any kind of board who makes a bit of effort usually gets their waves around me. I have had beginners get frustrated with me because they sit there waiting for waves to come to them make no move toward peaks that are visible rolling in. If they make a bit of effort to go for the peak I won't interfere, but if they just sit there when a peak is coming in some yards over from us....well I'm gona go get that wave. If it's crowded and you don't make some effort to get position, like moving up the line as people catch waves breaking off a jetty you will get paddled around and it may be questionable whether it's a snake situation or not.
    « Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 08:59:45 PM by Looseness »
    It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline Random Guy

• Local Access
    • Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 08:44:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

while that might not seem so admirable, it's a whole hell of a lot better than a lot of people out there some days

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 09:02:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I punched the post button accidently....yes, there some people who take the thing too far, but consider my edited version.

Offline moses_is_crowded

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 09:31:14 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Loosneess...to clear some things up.

1. I shortboard and am not a beginner.
    2.  I define being in position as being able to catch a wave whether on the peak, shoulder or otherwise.
    3. I define having priorty as being able to catch the wave and by doing so you would not be dropping in or be first on the wave or have the right of way, be outside etc.

It may not be correct definitions but I just wanted to give insight into how I define those terms.

As for paddling for the peak I agree with you.  I try to be aggressive and  don't just sit there when the sets role through .  I am constantly paddlng to the peak or towards the jetty.  Sometimes I try to sit even and outside of the jetty where I would be taking off right into them.  I usually paddle hard outside or in LB towards the jetty when  a set roles through.

Here is a real example of what I/m talking about.  A set roles through the other day and I am next to this other guy.  We are the closest to the jetty and outside.  I have the priorty b/c he is inside of me.  I start paddlling he sees me do this.  He turns and goes behind me so he is now deeper which forces me to try and go deeper but I can't without paddling at him.  I just give it hoping for the next wave.  Same set I take off way deep almost on top of the jetty(seems like the only way to get a wave) and as I'm coming down the wave I have to call someone off and dodge a failed drop in attempt.

Wave after wave and hassle after hassle gets annoying.

/i can compete and my waves but it sucks after a while seeing people paddle around you, next to you, inside of you, or my favorite four guys paddle for the same wave without anyone noticing the other guy.

I'm just bitching.  I usually avoid these type of spots. Its my fault for not going somewhere less competetive if I don't like the pa.dle battle....  30+ guys and one take off spot is going to be a problem. 

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 22
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 11:27:48 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

I don't agree with snaking {paddling around people to gain postition} or dropping in, but if you were sitting there waiting for  waves and make no effort go to the peak I will probably paddle past you and take the wave. I ride a short board and can't take off on shoulders. If you make no effort to keep position or move toward a peak, I will usually hardly notice you and probably take the wave. I think there is a middle ground to competition in the line-up. I don't like it when it gets too heavy but any time there's a bunch of people and not very many waves, there's going to be some hassling. If it's not a really bad vibe in the water, you may just have to maintain position. If it's pretty heavy, and you can't take-off far enough back you pretty much need to find another spot. If you are a longboarder and I suspect you are, why not sit outside and catch the wave early like most longboarders?

I am fairly aggressive in the water but anyone on a longboard or any kind of board who makes a bit of effort usually gets their waves around me. I have had beginners get frustrated with me because they sit there waiting for waves to come to them make no move toward peaks that are visible rolling in. If they make a bit of effort to go for the peak I won't interfere, but if they just sit there when a peak is coming in some yards over from us....well I'm gona go get that wave. If it's crowded and you don't make some effort to get position, like moving up the line as people catch waves breaking off a jetty you will get paddled around and it may be questionable whether it's a snake situation or not.

The question is - are you paddling around people to get in position on the peak?  I mean, sometimes people are kinda lined up and waiting in line.  As people on the peak catch a wave, everyone moves over a couple slots.  The problem is that people sometimes paddle around us all and that means everyone else that wants to catch a wave now has to be more aggressive.  The end result is an aggro vibe and an aggro lineup.  I'm not a fan.

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 11:36:23 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

The question is - are you paddling around people to get in position on the peak?  I mean, sometimes people are kinda lined up and waiting in line.  As people on the peak catch a wave, everyone moves over a couple slots.  The problem is that people sometimes paddle around us all and that means everyone else that wants to catch a wave now has to be more aggressive.  The end result is an aggro vibe and an aggro lineup.  I'm not a fan.

I don't paddle around people for the peak when surfing a jetty or any place where the peak is obvious. I will work my way up the line in that situation. If I'm surfing in between jetties or anywhere else the peaks don't come in at the same spot and shift around a bit. I will paddle to the peak and in that case past/around people who do not make a move. If they do go for it, I don't sprint past them {unless they are my friends and it's friendly competition}. My example would be: I'm sitting with some other surfers not near any jetties and I spot a hump on the horizon coming in 15-30 feet over to our right, I will paddle over there to see if it's gonna stand up. If someone else sees it too and is moving also, I won't try and beat em'. To me this is somewhat like spotting a hump on the horizon before everyone else and getting a jump on scratching my way out there and spinning around to take it. So, in a manner of speaking, yes I am paddling around/past people sometimes {the example described}. How would you call that one? I'm curious.     

I do hate it when I've worked my way up the line at a jetty and someone paddles around me for position. This I don't do.
    I also hate it when people intentionally force you way deep and cut off your line by continuing to paddle when you have the peak and you need to angle a bit or turn mid face to make it past a jetty. Snaking, stuffing people, and dropping in lead to that chaotic bad vibe situation.

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 12:08:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Loosneess...to clear some things up.

1. I shortboard and am not a beginner.
    2.  I define being in position as being able to catch a wave whether on the peak, shoulder or otherwise.
    3. I define having priorty as being able to catch the wave and by doing so you would not be dropping in or be first on the wave or have the right of way, be outside etc.

It may not be correct definitions but I just wanted to give insight into how I define those terms.

As for paddling for the peak I agree with you.  I try to be aggressive and  don't just sit there when the sets role through .  I am constantly paddlng to the peak or towards the jetty.  Sometimes I try to sit even and outside of the jetty where I would be taking off right into them.  I usually paddle hard outside or in LB towards the jetty when  a set roles through.

Wave after wave and hassle after hassle gets annoying.

/i can compete and my waves but it sucks after a while seeing people paddle around you, next to you, inside of you, or my favorite four guys paddle for the same wave without anyone noticing the other guy.

I'm just bitching.  I usually avoid these type of spots. Its my fault for not going somewhere less competetive if I don't like the pa.dle battle....  30+ guys and one take off spot is going to be a problem. 

Hey, sorry if I assumed too much.
    It does sound like you were getting snaked and it's a pretty crowded, hassle kind of situation with people not being cool or fair/responsible.