Author Topic: Outsider stop'n by from Malibu.....  (Read 1739 times)

kidsurf

Outsider stop'n by from Malibu.....
« on: August 16, 2005, 02:57:44 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• Hey what's up gang........!

You guys don't know me. I came across this site by way of surfline.com. But let me say how friggn cool it is to see the surf community so alive over there. Honestly,  I had no idea. I bet you guys hear that all the time from people in Cali, Hawaii etc. ;)

But I watched some of the NYC surf vids, you guys can surf.... right on!

I go to NYC about once a year.... Next time I'm gonna bring my board. I'd love to surf out there. What's the "local vibe" like? I know over hear it can get a little territorial in some secret spots, but otherwise it's pretty slammed with dudes.  My surf spots over here are Malibu and Trestles mostly.

What's funny is I was just complaining the other day about how cold the water is over here, then I see you guys surfing with friggn snow on the ground. Man, you guys are hard chargers! Right on.......

Just wanted to say what's up you to you cats..... and give you a shout from LA.

BTW -- I'm a short boarder, not that it matters............. ;)

Hey can you give me any tips on where to surf when I go there, (I usually stay in Manhattan ) what time of year it brakes and stuff. And don't worry, it'll be just me. Not ten dudes. ;) So do you just get on the subway with your board? How does it go down out there....?

Be cool!

Jay from LA.

Psycho

Re: Outsider stop'n by from Malibu.....
    « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 06:12:30 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey man welcome. Good to hear props from other places in the world. Its a building proccess here & its tuff sometimes but its really fun & weve got a great bunch of people out here. If ya do come in from cali, let us know on the site & maybe we can help ya out.

later!

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 06:45:40 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Welcome, kidsurf...glad you like it. With any luck, somebody got some shots of yesterday around here, and we'll toss them up...  ;D ;D

Like psycho says, if you ever head this way, drop a PM, we'll give you the "tour".  8)
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline krut

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 4
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 08:55:48 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • yeah welcome.

like sc said - drop a pm - we're not gonna list spots in public, but I'm sure you can find surf here.

Offline Spindrift

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 3
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 09:01:13 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • You show us your secret spots when we're in Cali and we'll show you ours!

I'm planning a trip out west soon. So....

Jake

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 09:04:20 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • NO HANDOUTS!!!!!!!

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 09:05:49 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • NO HANDOUTS!!!!!!!

No handouts indeed....but I'm heading to SoCal in November most likely...sooo...as AJ says..  ;)
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Psycho

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 09:06:08 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • You show us your secret spots when we're in Cali and we'll show you ours!

I'm planning a trip out west soon. So....

Are saying you'll show him yours, if he shows you his? Thats the wrong forum man! ;D

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 10:07:16 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • There has been active surfing in NY/NJ since the Duke showed his stuff here back in the day but NYers have done a very good job keeping that fact to themselves.  People who surf in NY don't typically adopt a surf centric culture due to the size and scope of the various other cultural influences linked to NYC and therefore most people who put litle to no effort in to search for a surf culture will be unaware of it (is that you kid?).  Winter is the time to separate the men from the boys but fall is extremely crowded. Jake is right - no handouts.  Keep it quiet and maybe one of the nicer guys here will help you out through a PM including all the details you need but most of us locals would rather you just try to put some time and effort in to figure some of it out for yourself.  After you do that, you should have no problems enjoying the Atlantic and will get a lilttle closer to finding out what it  really is like to live here outside the typical Manhattan bar/club/restaurant/museum/show scene.

kidsurf

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 02:46:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Ha!...... It's cool guys, no hard feelings. ;) I'll just drop you a p.m. when I'm gonna be out there and maybe you can point me to "something" (even if it's not your secret spot ;) ). True, you guys gotta keep your secret spots "private" too. I sorta figured this board was locals only. But I guess it IS on the "internet"......... :D

People who surf in NY don't typically adopt a surf centric culture due to the size and scope of the various other cultural influences linked to NYC and therefore most people who put litle to no effort in to search for a surf culture will be unaware of it (is that you kid?)

No, that's not me, and yes it is me ----- See, I never "knew" there were rideable waves in NYC (or surrounding) till a few months ago when I read an article about it. It is absolutely a recent revelation to me. But I came across this site, and thought I'd see what's up with the "legit" crew. So yes I am making an effort to get to know what it's "really" like out there. You guys know what's up more than anyone else. ;)

I was honestly shocked to hear that people had been surfing out there for such a long time. There is virtually no mention of it out here. BUT! The good thing about that is guys "like me" don't even think to bring our boards with us when we travel over there. Preserving those secret spots just a little bit longer. ;) (our beaches over here are just slammed ----- you can go to Malibu in the dark and there will still be people out)

BTW --- my buddy is from Brooklyn, I'm surprised he didn't tell me about this. But I am interested in more than Manhattan, it's just that I get a free room in Manhattan.  So I stay there, can you blame me. :D

I'll give you guys a tip to the not secret spots, but GOOD spots ---- If you're coming out in the summer surf Trestles (it's the best wave in Cali), which is about 2 hours south of LA. It's actually the last town (San Clemente) before you hit San Diego County. Malibu is also great when it breaks. But the crowd in both places is friggn insane. Malibu probably has the worst crowd out of anywhere I've surfed. I've seen Kelly Slater get snaked out there by 5 guys on one wave. There's literally no respect, but it's a fun ass wave. Just be prepared to get snaked everywhere out hear, whether you rip or not.

If you're coming in the winter hopefully Rincon has something. It's about 2 hours north of LA but worth the drive if there's a good north/west swell. I got the longest ride of my life there (200 yards or so, like ten snaps -- it's a great wave!). But if there's a good swell there will definitely be pros out. So.....?

You guys coming out here send me an e-mail when you're about to and we'll figure out somewhere to go...... cool? Just return the favor when I'm out there. :D

Peace...

Jay

Offline srilanka

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 02:53:41 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • come to ny when the hurricanes blow...

kidsurf

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 02:56:13 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • BTW --- what mil wetsuits do you guys wear in the winter? That does look friggn insane, but I'd like to try it..... I do get cold easily though, i ain't gonna lie. :D

But I did notice that your water temps are warmer than ours right now. I wouldn't have thought that either. 70-73 is about as warm as it gets over here. But it's usually in the 62-65 range most of the year.

PS... we have a little swell filling in right now.... and I just got my custom "CI" after 3 months so I'm fairly stoked right now :D (beautiful board).

Hey, we all know the "stoke" , it's the same stoke no matter where we surf.... we're all part of the same brotherhood. ;) Glad to meet you guys.........

rip it guys.......!

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Good posts, stick around, kid...you're alright.  ;D You wouldnt be the only west coast contributors...there's a few more at points well north of you.

Good crew out here...I'm sure there'll be a person or two amongst us that'll lend a hand when the time comes..

RayG

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 03:11:44 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • BTW --- what mil wetsuits do you guys wear in the winter? That does look friggn insane, but I'd like to try it..... I do get cold easily though, i ain't gonna lie. :D

But I did notice that your water temps are warmer than ours right now. I wouldn't have thought that either. 70-73 is about as warm as it gets over here. But it's usually in the 62-65 range most of the year.

PS... we have a little swell filling in right now.... and I just got my custom "CI" after 3 months so I'm fairly stoked right now :D (beautiful board).

Hey, we all know the "stoke" , it's the same stoke no matter where we surf.... we're all part of the same brotherhood. ;) Glad to meet you guys.........

rip it guys.......!

Thick... We're talking Antarctica thick. In the 'real' winter of 32/34 degree water and air temps in the teens, we're talking a MINIMUM of 5m. Along with the thickest booties you can find, gloves (also 5m, and a hood.) On sunny days sometimes you can pull the hood for a few minutes to get some fresh air.

Offline Spindrift

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 3
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 03:15:25 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • When the international and national media started doing stories about the NSSS, I predicted people who come to NY for business/vacation/visit relatives would start bringing their boards. People who have been to NY over the years but never thought of surfing here. Well, it looks like kidsurf has proved me right. No offense kidsurf, I'd be happy to show you around. No biggie. I just knew it would happen. Think of how many buisnessmen surfers who have to come to NYC in the fall will now bring their boards because they know its hurricane season.