Author Topic: No Aloha at NYSurf  (Read 2918 times)

Psycho

No Aloha at NYSurf
« on: July 22, 2005, 06:38:37 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yes they have locked & closed the Aloha room. I woulda kept it, becuase there just aint enough Aloha round them parts. Oh well. looks like the Admin has changed alotta stuff there & what up with everyone over there? Everyones all aggro, even Bobby (Surfatlantic) seems to have a tone like if we all dont know each other. I know we're all not best friends with everyone but Dang, surfin & talkin with people over the course of how many years & people are still talkin like they need to draw a line in the sand. Fark. If the surf community cannot organize itself, how can it organize anything important?

Seems like more people wanna work hard at looking, sounding & acting like a bad azz surfer ripper dude that theyve forgotten what surfing is truely all about. then they wanna make fun of the Newbies? its luaghable, wher is the Aloha that surfing was born from & especially in a time when there are so many changes in the surfing community here in NY, LI & NJ? Its good for the NYSurf site that Adam is getting involved with his creation again, it sucks that so many people wanna use it to complain & use its information & then turn around & complain about it after. Why cant people just realize theyre Humn beings & not super heros, act respectfull & stop acting so disrespectfull. everyone wants respect but they dont wanna earn it, then if 1 or 2 get a lil respect they abuse it & act better than others. I dunno, just a rant I guess. When Im there I feel like the animated Gif at the bottom of my posts. Look at it for a sec & think about how many times you felt like that.
     This sounds lame but i would rather suround myself with total Kook Newbees with potential & heart than a bunch of pros with attitudes.
    « Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 06:59:23 AM by Psycho »

Jake

Re: No Aloha at NYSurf
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 08:56:36 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • no more flea room either  and i recived a pm basically saying how he doesnt want me around that site anymore...

Psycho

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 08:58:24 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thats Fuqed up. You been there forever. I guess the line has been drawn. thats dumb.

Jake

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 08:59:22 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i dunno man... somepeople u think are cool...

Offline veggielasagna

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 09:03:26 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • no more fleas?
    I knew I would never be hard core. So I tried to be soft core. Instead, Iím just an apple core.

Psycho

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 09:11:06 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I guess thats whatcha get when a DFD runs the biggest surf site in the NY, LI area. Not to be mean but I† everyones so down of Brooklyn surfer Co. & that LI brown troute extreme surf,skate & snowboard site with T-shirts & everything else but NYsurf is the same & theyve embraced it becuase its been there for so long. now that other sites are popping up even thos theyre by real local surfers people are lashing out & boycotting. its silly, Jump in, extend a hand & embrace it before the big wig corperates come in & do it for ya & snag up all that local attention & money. Surfing is already blown up here & its getting worse, A guy here at the Club just told me him & 20 of his corperate buddy's will be in a very popular LI spot tomarrow getting a group school corperate discount on lessons & he said he intends to become a great surfer. I did my part & said all the silly things like be carefull surfers get ruff & tuff when they see beginners so stay away from the main areas. but he was like "Really, I thought they were all just cool pot smokers that sleep alot & surf everyday." after I picked my Jaw up off the floor I had to remember I was at work & just said you learn man.

None the less I still see alotta people we all know still posting alot over there & even some who are not coming here despite the chages & things they didnt like before those changes. i dunno its all psycholical I guess. Poeple are afraid of change.
    « Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 09:25:30 AM by Psycho »

Offline nydubstar

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 46
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 10:57:10 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • hmmm, this is all very disappointing to me...I don't know anything about the people who run these two sites, I've only met them in passing, I'd say for the most part the long beach people (me, lbsurf, money4coffeemicks, the unsound guys, onefin, wingballs, soussol, etc) exist outside of the core groups that frequent these sites...there seems to be very much more of a rock / central presence...as such, we don't really know much about who likes who and what kind of group politics are bubbling beneath the surface. We post about certain things and some of us like onefin and I have taken more of a direct role...me as a tool shed mod and onefin as an aloha spreading Pan-like Dora-esque stirrer-upper...

I mainly post things about boards and learning to surf the right way, along with things like insane skate photos to get people stoked (most never seem to even notice thee), so we'll have to see how it all pans out.

Isn't there also a third message board somewhere?

Psycho

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 11:14:54 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Theres a bunch of em, NYCSpongers, NYBBing, a new site too & some other lame surf site I forgot about & then theres the new Brooklyn surfers site with an MB. Yeah we noticed when you posted skate stuff & your always pretty much on. I dont know why the new set up & site owner over at NYsurf is getting rid of all the staples of the old site. I dunno whats going on. its dumb, this site is just a big Aloha room but I dont know why he closed the Aloha room there. I dunno, lots of people are coming here for the relaxed friendship side of the Net surfers & TDRers. Yougot so many sites out there with tuff guy talk from prone & Stand up surfing, I dont mind this site one bit. I got nothin to proe to no one.

Offline nydubstar

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 46
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 12:09:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • to be fair, he linked to this site and said "good luck" in the aloha room initially...

Psycho

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 12:40:17 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yeah that was cool. That was thr right way to handle it but whats up with the whole PMing people & politely saying Thanks but  have a good day now. Ihavent got that Email but some have. i think its all silly but whateves, this is a cool site.

Offline VenturaLocal

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Some day, I'll surf every day
      • AOL Instant Messenger - Stigbk
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 01:44:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I think there is a little bit of resintment with NYsurf.com---not to diminish the 'Aloha Spirit' but it just isn't what it used to be---Ironically-we should have a surf off between the two rooms

ya_bloody_wanka

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 01:45:55 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • the aloha room?

Offline Shacky

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 87
    • Soft hated: 3
      • AOL Instant Messenger - mcfloater
      • View Profile
      • CONDO
    « Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 01:47:46 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • gonzo.
    You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.

http://www.condotheband.com

Offline surfnli

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
    • Soft hated: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 03:24:45 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • as far as i can tell there's one main group--the rockaway clique/sandfleas--with one side group--dub's lb crew.  everyone else seems to be a loner or one of two or three friends who post.  i'm definitely a loner--i take alot of flak for posting from my surfing friends, the select few that i have, but it helps alleviate the boredom.  anyhow i have zero knowledge of the behind the scenes dynamics but i'd love to hear about them.  i could see shutting down the sandfleas, as this site is basically sandflea.com, but why the aloha room?

RayG

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 03:30:49 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Aloha is what you make it. Turn this main room into a crazed, name calling, attack forum and there will be an Aloha room.
    Most people just don't want to hear the crap.

We have a fresh start here and I hope the spirit of the old Aloha Room is brought forward.