Author Topic: lifeguard shortage in ny times  (Read 496 times)

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 22
  • Soft hated: 1
    • View Profile
lifeguard shortage in ny times
« on: August 11, 2005, 11:46:13 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • August 7, 2005
    In a Summer of Simmer, the Great Lifeguard Shortage
    By JAKE MOONEY
    By his own admission, the Brooklyn borough president, Marty Markowitz, is not much of a swimmer. But he has had the borough's beaches on his mind in recent weeks, thanks to a lifeguard shortage that has been forcing the closing of long stretches of sand and water at Coney Island, the most visited beach in the city.

The shortage, which has persisted for weeks longer than similar hiring problems in the past, has beachgoers steaming, and Mr. Markowitz arguing that Brooklyn's beaches are not getting their fair share of city attention.

"We are the most used beaches in New York City, and I don't believe that we are getting the resources that we richly deserve," he said. "There can be no excuse. The majority of people in Brooklyn summer, like me, in Brooklyn. Those are our Hamptons."

According to Mr. Markowitz's office, Coney Island between Sea Gate and Brighton Beach attracts 9.5 million visitors a year, well more than twice as many as the closest runner-up, Rockaway Beach.

Recruiting enough lifeguards is often difficult for the city's Parks Department, but this year's shortage is more noticeable, said the department's first deputy commissioner, Liam Kavanagh, because of this summer's unrelenting heat and large beach crowds. Since there are not enough lifeguards to go around, many stretches of beach without guards have been closed - not just the water but the sand as well.

On top of that, Mr. Kavanagh said, the standards for lifeguards are higher at beaches with rougher surf. "You can't take lifeguards that are assigned to pools or that are assigned to nonsurf beaches and assign them to places like Coney Island and Rockaway," he said. Mr. Kavanagh said the Parks Department aimed to have 75 percent of local beachfront space open during the week and 90 percent on weekends, but he conceded that "a little bit of a breakdown" last weekend over staffing problems led to more closings.

Mr. Markowitz called on the department to stagger beach closings so that they don't affect long stretches of shoreline, and to step up recruiting. On the latter count, Mr. Kavanagh said an effort was already under way, with overtime shifts scheduled this weekend and calls going out to former lifeguards who have gone to work elsewhere, or who have been in summer school. In this hunt for lifeguards, he said, "We're hoping that the borough president will help us."

Mims

Re: lifeguard shortage in ny times
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 02:05:46 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I remember reading an article about they're trying to raise lifeguards wages.
    I think a first year LG here makes $10/hour.

Offline Badfish

• SFSC
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 60
    • Soft hated: 2
    • The Forgotten Sandflea
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 02:48:15 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • we all know about those massive coney island waves
    Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality. - Bertrand Russell

Offline lisa

• SFSC
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 3
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 04:11:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • How are the swim porgrams is New York City?  Do they encourage high school kids to get certified?

Offline lisurfer16

• Liked: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 04:15:08 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • im certified for pool lifeguard but none of that applies wen it comes to the ocean. Whole new set of tests and certifications.

Offline PlainYogurt

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - Jdogg6387
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 08:07:15 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • test is not a problem for me for beach...i can pass it...i just will go crazy if i was a beach lifeguard.....they really dont tell kids to be a beach lifeguard in highschool....i just saw a poster in my school but nothing really big on certification