Author Topic: Let's fight...  (Read 709 times)

Offline 16ASteadyrock

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
Let's fight...
« on: December 16, 2008, 04:07:33 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Seriously...

I know I've said it before, but reading about more ridiculous airline boardbag fees in a recent Surfline article, I feel like saying it again:

Colossal class action discriminatory lawsuit against all the offending airlines.

Ammo is abundant; over the years there are so many stories of folks who not only got hit with outlandish and fairly arbitrary charges but also had their boards wrecked on the very same flights without any compensation.

We've got to go for the kill (major damages) and look to settle for, at the very least, a fair, low-cost, pro-travel, pro-surfer industry standard going forward.

Major surf companies and non-profits alike have an interest in supporting such activist litigation financially and otherwise... and, at the very least, the scale of a sufficiently large and aggressive class action should prompt airlines to appreciate what a significant travel consumer constituency we represent and that, at the end of the day, there could be more financial benefit in working to earn our loyalty than our contempt.

Look... they do it because we let them get away with it. They are taking for granted that unlike, say, golfers, we're just a bunch of dumb, disorganized delinquents. We have to take the pain they dish out and throw it back at them. We have to light the fuse on the following question: do they want to pay a small army of lawyers $600 an hour, day after day, year after year, deposition after deposition, appeal after appeal, just to field an extensive legal onslaught... or just stop treating us like criminals and wantonly d*cking us over for the quick buck?

Let's f*ck 'em!

In the face!

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    Re: Let's fight...
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:04:03 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have a feeling that come the first of the year, with travel down all over the place and empty seats on planes all over the place, Delta may be more than willing to reconsider it's fee structure and get some positive pub out of the deal.

(but failing that I'm all in favor of a class action lawsuit!)
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline 16ASteadyrock

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 01:14:37 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Good point. Hope so.
    Wookin' pa waves...

Offline 16ASteadyrock

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 07:43:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Relevant:

----- Original Message -----
    Subject: Fly the Unfriendly Skies

> I'm planning a trip to Panama in the near future and I was planning to take about
    > 5 surfboards with me for the rental inventory. I know the airlines are tighting
    > up on the excess and oversized baggage, so I thought I would check to see how
    > bad they were going to stiff me. I am a Delta Medallion SkyMiles member and they
    > have been the most accommodating for me in past years, so I went to their website
    > to check what the going rate was. Here is what is on their website:
    >
    >
    > Surfboards 
    >
    > One item of surfing equipment is accepted as baggage for $175 (for travel within
    > the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico) and $300 (for travel
    > outside the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico).
    >
    >
    > UNBELIEVABLE!! THIS IS THE PRICE FOR GOING EACH WAY!! $600 ROUNDTRIP FOR A SURFBOARD!
    > WHAT A RIP OFF!
    >
    > I called the Delta customer service rep if that was a typo (mistake) and she
    > said no. So, "Two boards would be $1,200 round trip?" I asked. She answered "Yes,
    > that is correct."
    >
    > I have been warning people about the multiple embargos of Continental Airlines
    > for years now. Winter Break, Spring Break, Summer travel have all had embargo
    > restrictions with Continental Airlines, now Delta is becoming ANTI-SURFER. Many
    > airlines are becoming "anti-surfer". I am not sure if any of the surfing publications
    > have picked up on what is going or not (maybe they are too busy trying to sell
    > you Reef Sandals or show you some Pro Trip to Indo). Hey how about doing on a
    > story on "Surfer Friendly Airlines" and "Surfer Unfriendly Airlines"?
    >
    > Bottomline, take the time to research the airlines surfboard policy. Normally,
    > it is under "Sporting Equipment".
    >
    > As the owner of a surf camp in Central America, I plan on beefing up my rental
    > inventory. Of course, it is a bummer not to bring your favorite "stick", but
    > at least we will have a supply of boards at the surf camp.
    >
    > Steve Thompson
    > www.surferparadise.com
    Wookin' pa waves...

Offline 16ASteadyrock

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 08:07:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • And:

----- Original Message -----
    Subject: Anti-airlines backlash

>
    > I have gotten a groundswell of response from surfers about airlines and their
    > charges. Apparently I have hit a raw nerve with many traveling surfers. I have
    > gotten many emails from surfers who have had bad experiences with the airlines
    > and suggestions about what to do.
    >
    > Personally, I think one of the best ways to effect change is to vote with your
    > wallet. Fly with the airline that is most surfer friendly. Surfline has complied
    > a great comparison chart of various airlines with prices and phone number. I
    > would encourage traveling surfers to check with this chart. When you decide on
    > an airline, make sure there is no embargo in place:
    >
    > AIRLINE BOARDBAG CHARGES COMPARISON CHART
    > <http://www.surfline.com/travel/boardbag_charges.cfm?id=15425>
    >
    >
    > One suggestion is to buy a Pope Bisect Surfboard. Good for longboarders I believe,
    > but the boards seem pricey bisect.com <http://bisect.com>
    >
    > Big group with many boards,  can ship them down air cargo, especially if they
    > ship by weight and not by volume.
    >
    > Here's a petition going around:
    > Fight Airline Surfboard Charges Sick of paying airline surcharges for your board?
    > Join the  Surfboard Airline Petition <http://www.surfers-against-airline-fees.com/>
    > to speak out against airline carriers that have banned surfboards.
    >
    > Good planning goes along ways. If you want to rent, I am planning to have new
    > boards at the surf camp in the next few months.
    >
    > Steve Thompson
    > www.surferparadise.com
    Wookin' pa waves...