Author Topic: Larmo Ghostbuster fin selection  (Read 621 times)

Offline nose_manual

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 46
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 8.0.1 Firefox 8.0.1
    • View Profile
Larmo Ghostbuster fin selection
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:22:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • So I'm having one shaped right now and Larry is putting five fin boxes in.  I decided on this after talking with him and realizing that I'd like to be able to play around with fins, not just be "stuck" with a twinzer.  Having only ridden single fins (and a quad fish for a short time that I never really gave a chance) I'm really not sure about what to buy... keels with a little center nubby thing?  Quad?  Thruster? 

I'm using this board as a step down from a log, for smaller or mushier days up to chest-shoulder, maybe a bit bigger if I can swing it after I get used to the board.  I know it depends on how I'd like the board to surf, but I'm looking for something good all around at first, then later I can buy more fins and switch it up. 

So I need suggestions to offset my ignorance/inexperience.  Fin boxes are Futures.

Thanks for any advice.

Offline surfcitynj

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 6
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.6.25 Firefox 3.6.25
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: Larmo Ghostbuster fin selection
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 01:33:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Can you run twinzer + nub, that'd be fun on that board.

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 322
    • Soft hated: 12
    • Mac OS X 10.5.8 Mac OS X 10.5.8
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.6 Safari 5.0.6
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:10:37 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • funny you should ask, I rode seacow's 4'10 ghostbuster or bar of soap as I like to call it, it was a twinzer set up and oh so rad.  What size ghostbuster are you getting? Not sure this is a good step down from a log, mine was super loose and skatey, I would think an egg type board would be a good stepdown from a log?  Unless you also ride shortboards and this your tiptoe through the tulips?
    "paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

Online Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 284
    • Soft hated: 24
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.2 Safari 5.0.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:44:41 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I had a board similar from Joe Bauguess . He shapes out of same place as larmo . jack Jensen foils the fins for both them . In mine I had 7 fin set from Jensen . Modified keel fronts with some modified quad rears . Modified keels with a trailer . Inquire about those . larmo should steer you in right direction

Offline nose_manual

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:23:41 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • funny you should ask, I rode seacow's 4'10 ghostbuster or bar of soap as I like to call it, it was a twinzer set up and oh so rad.  What size ghostbuster are you getting? Not sure this is a good step down from a log, mine was super loose and skatey, I would think an egg type board would be a good stepdown from a log?  Unless you also ride shortboards and this your tiptoe through the tulips?

Yeah, I'm not sure it is either.  But I'm stoked to get it.  An egg is probably a more logical choice, but after talking to Larry and others I decided to get a 5'10.  I know that's a lot longer than most people ride these.  I was wanting something with enough float and paddle power to let me sit more outside than I would with a regular shortboard, but would ride loose and skatey.  We'll see.  I'll figure it out and I'm guessing the learning curve will be fun.  I don't frustrate easily because it's just way too much fun being in the water.  I'll kook around on it and have fun until I'm shredding (ie, making a bottom turn and going straight).

Offline nose_manual

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 09:26:52 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I had a board similar from Joe Bauguess . He shapes out of same place as larmo . jack Jensen foils the fins for both them . In mine I had 7 fin set from Jensen . Modified keel fronts with some modified quad rears . Modified keels with a trailer . Inquire about those . larmo should steer you in right direction

Thanks man.  7 fins.  Damn.  Curious about how 'modified' translates... bigger keel fronts?  Smaller quad rears?  I asked him today, awaiting his reply. 

Online Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 284
    • Soft hated: 24
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.2 Safari 5.0.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 07:03:35 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • http://joebsurfshapes.com/boards-2/

Scroll down you will see a board with black and red fins and all  5 installed in the box . You should just go with the set larmo recommends . I liked mine as a quad for most regular mushy surf . When it got a little bigger I rode it as a simster or small keels plus one as the quad was lighting fast but a bit hard to stay close to te pocket and not race way out ahead of it .