Author Topic: Hurricane Erin  (Read 1276 times)

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 776
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 29.0.1547.65 Chrome 29.0.1547.65
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
Hurricane Erin
« on: September 11, 2013, 03:21:45 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• Hurricane Erin on September 11th, 2001. The small inset photo shows the smoke plume from the towers. I was in my office in queens that morning, signing off on a few last minute details before heading out to surf. I actually had my board in my office and was getting set to leave when the first tower was hit. The board stayed right there for months, I didn't surf again until April, 2002.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline gigs

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 2
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 23.0 Firefox 23.0
      • View Profile
    Re: Hurricane Erin
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 03:32:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Was in the water in  LB and got out to see that exact plume making it's way down to NJ.  Was sureal moment for sure once I realized what was going on....

Offline CJsurf

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 49
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 03:53:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • One of the best mornings of surf ever!!!!!

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 93
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:09:06 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I was all set to surf...but couldn't didn't feel right..felt like it was disrespectful

Offline MikeM

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 17
    • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 9.0 MS Internet Explorer 9.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:56:04 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I was supposed to be working in NYC but snuck off to Montauk at 3 am instead.  Scored some epic waves and came in for a break at about 10 am.  Felt like the world was ending and World War 3 had begun, as firemen that had been surfing packed it in and went to the aid of their fallen brothers.  For my wife, the news that I was in Mtk overpowered the sense of relief that I was not in NYC.  I left as if heading to work and went surfing instead...  World War 3 had begun in that house that day as my (now ex)-wife refused to join me in Mtk and I refused to head west.  Paddled back out not knowing if those would be my last waves or not.  I've grown up a lot since then.  But I'm still surfing in Mtk only now I 'm surfing with my son!  He's got the bug and there's no better thing for stoking the stoke then when your child finds his own!  Blessed are we who ride with the ocean!  May the spirits of the 343 be gliding in the waves of heaven with the love of the ancestors and the stoke of the angels.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 29.0.1547.65 Chrome 29.0.1547.65
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 07:10:22 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I was supposed to be working in NYC but snuck off to Montauk at 3 am instead.  Scored some epic waves and came in for a break at about 10 am.  Felt like the world was ending and World War 3 had begun, as firemen that had been surfing packed it in and went to the aid of their fallen brothers.  For my wife, the news that I was in Mtk overpowered the sense of relief that I was not in NYC.  I left as if heading to work and went surfing instead...  World War 3 had begun in that house that day as my (now ex)-wife refused to join me in Mtk and I refused to head west.  Paddled back out not knowing if those would be my last waves or not.  I've grown up a lot since then.  But I'm still surfing in Mtk only now I 'm surfing with my son!  He's got the bug and there's no better thing for stoking the stoke then when your child finds his own!  Blessed are we who ride with the ocean!  May the spirits of the 343 be gliding in the waves of heaven with the love of the ancestors and the stoke of the angels.

Great story, Mike - so much changed in a day, so much more in the 12 years since - glad to hear you're doing well, and even happier to hear you're getting to surf with your son. To me, my best surf sessions are still the ones I share with my kid.
    « Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:00:05 PM by SeaCliff »
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline NNW lite

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 24
    • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:18:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I remember the after work session on 9/10/01 as being super fun, head high and just about perfectly clean and waking up the next morning to perfect weather knowing an even better session was in store. And then the world as we know it changed and by the time I made it home I couldn't stop starring at the television with surfing being the furthest thing from my mind. I truly miss the pre 9/11 world.