Author Topic: HOLY EFFING BROWN TROUT !  (Read 1361 times)

Offline RayG

• Hoon
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 189
  • Soft hated: 10
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 80.0.3987.149 Chrome 80.0.3987.149
    • View Profile
Re: HOLY EFFING BROWN TROUT !
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 11:18:35 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • There were at least 200 surfers in the span of 1 mile on the eastern end of LB yesterday.  Ton of them piled in cars at the town parking lot.  Absolutely ridiculous.

Was out in Central last week. 4 guys come out, all scrambling next to each other. I was WAY down towards LH. I walked back to the car to change and check on emails and such. While sitting behind car in the sun, they all came back.. together, of course. changed out, and piled into a club cab pickup. Okay, it's decent sized truck, but c'mon, can't get 6 ft apart in one cab.
    Sent from Coleco Vision NEC Zilog Z80A CPU

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.15.3 Mac OS X 10.15.3
    • Browser:
    • Safari 13.0.5 Safari 13.0.5
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 08:39:07 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ...and.....the fun continues! If Rockaway beaches are closed this summer, Long Beach and points east are going to be awfully crowded!
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline NNW lite

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 24
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 75.0 Firefox 75.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #17 on: April 20, 2020, 02:37:11 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • That would be a terrible idea and the opposite of what Cuomo has been talking about with a coordinated regional reopening effort. 

Offline RayG

• Hoon
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 80.0.3987.163 Chrome 80.0.3987.163
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: April 20, 2020, 08:48:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • If they looked around the country to see what other people are doing as opposed to the Gestapo tactics that NYC has been famous for... only to back off a bit after they realize it's WAY too costly, or political suicide, you might get some kind of plan worked out. I've thought that Hawaii has one of the best solutions. Yes, the beaches are "closed", but you may use them for exercise or ocean sports activities, which include walking, jogging, surfing, kayaking, etc... You can't just plop your blanket down with your homies and sit around and party.
    But you know the drill, Blaz will lock them down and put a parkie at every access with a cop close by to arrest anyone who dares cross the line. When the heat starts, and the crowds (and voters) can't use the beach, while Long Island beaches are open (with strict guidelines, I presume), the "Racism" card will come out. The City will relent a bit, then some idiot will go swimming after dark and drown, and the cries will be about why weren't they closed down. Nobody will win in this worst case scenario. NOW is the time to get the local residents, their representatives, and the Parks Department together on a reasonable plan to keep access to the beach. If you wait until THEY make a rash decision without local input, we're done for. There will be accusations, lawsuits, name calling as it gets through the process. By then it will be November

Offline Northstreet

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 72
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 74.0.3729.108 Chrome 74.0.3729.108
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 12:37:28 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Figuring out what to do in Rockaway Beach for the summer will require some serious brain power and common sense.  What could possibly go wrong?

Lifeguards are the key wildcard.

If I had to, I'd close the beach to swimming and laying around.  Surfing and walking OK...

Offline Årne Longbörgenssen

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 310
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Gil wouldn't go....
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 13.0.5 Safari 13.0.5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: April 25, 2020, 07:15:04 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Maybe Cuomo will open the beaches just to engage in his favorite sport: Poking Deblasio in the eye.

On a related note, I surfed for the first time since October today, and I must say ...I enjoyed the brown trout out of it.
    The energy contained in one kilogram of thorium
    equals four thousand tons of coal

Offline RayG

• Hoon
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 81.0.4044.122 Chrome 81.0.4044.122
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: April 26, 2020, 11:58:34 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Luckily, Blaz has no authority over the state beaches. I went out to RM yesterday (Saturday). The place was unreal. F5 was closed shortly after 11AM. The lot at F4 was decently crowded- BUT, people were (for the most part) doing their due diligence with distancing and masks when necessary. We got there just before 11am and staked out a spot. 6 chairs, 6 feet apart and 2 big blankets for the kids of each family to sit on separately. When they played "together", the kids all had their masks on. No shared coolers or lunch bags, etc...

Like I said, just about everyone was doing the same thing. spreading out and trying to keep to their own space. There were some larger parties in the parking lot near the solar panels who did the same- each family had their space, another was an acceptable distance way, etc...

They are going to have to come up with a detailed plan soon for the "real" season. My guess is limiting the lots to 50% of capacity, Eventually, they will need LG's- but I figure they will be solo chairs with walkies, but a bit closer together than the usual double manned setup. That will hopefully spread out the beachgoers, since they seem to gather near the stands. Another thing that might help in the short term is actually charging admission (it has been free since the normal April 1st start). Since most of the restrooms are closed and no food concessions, maybe they could consider food trucks spread around the lots to avoid congestion.

What I DID see were actual State Police on Quads doing some patrolling, along with the usual Park Security. I didn't see them actually warn anybody, but you could see that they were looking at various groups. I think just the appearance of those guys was a good deterrent.

Offline Northstreet

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 72
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 74.0.3729.108 Chrome 74.0.3729.108
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: April 27, 2020, 09:19:01 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey Arne....gonna build you a new surf break up by you....hope you like it...

Offline SurfeRoss

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 45
    • Mac OS X 10.13.6 Mac OS X 10.13.6
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 80.0.3987.132 Chrome 80.0.3987.132
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #23 on: April 27, 2020, 11:11:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I've been out a few times and the problem that I see is at the access points. They are like chokepoints that funnel people in, but then some choose to just stand around and loiter in these areas and clog it up. If it's a tight area, people need to keep moving.

Some will walk only 20 feet past the beach entrance and plop their chairs and towel down.