Author Topic: Hold on to your boards folks.  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Mark E

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 57
  • Soft hated: 4
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.0.5 Safari 6.0.5
    • View Profile
Hold on to your boards folks.
« on: September 30, 2013, 05:15:15 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Ok you ride a log and you can catch waves. You are starting to feel like a real surfer now. At the end every wave you jump off your board and the whitewash take it shore ward until it reaches the end of your leash.

Not only does this look kooky it is dangerous for other surfers. I am typing this with my left hand because I took a longboard to the forearm trying to protect my face.

if you are confused about what to do when the wave breaks in front of you here are a few tips.

Look at the wave ahead of you and when it looks like it is going to close, kick out.

If you don't have the kick out down not to worry. When the wave breaks squat down and grab the rail. This will lower your center of gravity allowing you to ride out the white water with a firm grip on your board.

If all else fails dive on the board and grip it like a bear. You will come to a quick stop because trust me, you will no longer be "in trim"

I learned all this stuff from a surf message board and it has made me a little less of a kook.
    « Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:30:08 PM by Mark E »
    "Take care of your knees, you'll miss them when they are gone"

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 29.0.1547.76 Chrome 29.0.1547.76
      • View Profile
    Re: Hold on to your boards folks.
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:04:55 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sorry about the incident Mark.
    I can never believe the number of people who NEVER make the attempt to end a ride in any kind of control of their board. The jumping off every time thing is pitiful, and obviously dangerous. Something these people also don't think about is, if you stretch your leash on every single ride, it will not last long, it will break. Now that's about the last reason for learning to control your board but it seems some people often just don't care to make any effort in this direction.

It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline ArchySwashbuckle

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 56
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 23.0 Firefox 23.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Bummer.
    This sounds crazy, but at a certain point people riding large boards like that really need to ditch the leash, it teaches you to pop over if it is closing out and to never let go of your board. Long or shortboard it's just bogus when people kick their board out in crowded areas.

"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete waste of time. That is what I chose to do with my life." Dora

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
    • Browser:
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 08:21:25 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sticky Fingers. People need to learn to develop sticky fingers.  :-\
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline jscottk

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 132
    • Mac OS X 10.8.3 Mac OS X 10.8.3
    • Browser:
    • Safari 6.0.3 Safari 6.0.3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 10:51:38 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I surf without a leash..a lot.
    I highly recommend people pretend that they do not have a leash.

It taught me to hang onto my board, or swim in and hope its not dinged to sh*t on rocks

It amazes me how even a really good surfer will just kick their board out and flop into the whitewash.
    Even the last longboard contest I saw on the web in peru, those dicks were just kicking it out
    (I hate the idea of even allowing leashes in a longboard contest, anywhere, any size)

Wheres your style people?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:01:51 PM by jscottk »
    ..Whore it to death then sell the corpse on Craigslist... (used to be Ebay but eff Ebay and Paypal)

Offline Northstreet

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 72
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 9.0 MS Internet Explorer 9.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:12:25 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Board control is crucial at all stages of the game.  If you just kick out and don't show some care, you'll likely end up with some stitches on a strong off-shore day.

Offline CJsurf

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 49
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 10:54:19 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • How about all of the relatively new longboarders who think its uber-cool to not use a leash.  Dumb bumblefarks can barely stand up on a board and they are out there without leashes, losing their boards and running people down........don't get me started.

Offline Gregg A.

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 38
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 27.0.1439.0 Chrome 27.0.1439.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 11:06:03 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • How about all of the relatively new longboarders who think its uber-cool to not use a leash.  Dumb bumblefarks can barely stand up on a board and they are out there without leashes, losing their boards and running people down........don't get me started.

Yeah, if you have to run to the beach more than twice a session you should probably get yourself a leash and keep practicing. Not sure what a lot of these guys are trying to prove, you aren't getting to the nose and it's not the leashes fault you're not getting there.

Empty beach, no one inside, do whatever... seeing a 9' board flying toward the beach while little kids are playing in the shorebreak makes hulk smash!

Offline Smith St. Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 37
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 11:36:19 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• It's like driving a car.  Leash or no leash you take on the responsibility of those around you the minute you start moving in (or on) your vehicle.  I can't imagine walking crossing the street and see the same looks in the eye of the driver coming at me as I do with half the folks riding big heavy boards on some days in the line up. Accidents will always happen regardless of skill of driver or type of equipment BUT, if you can't properly and consistently drive your vehicle, which includes at a minimum 1)paddling out without losing your vehicle 2)avoiding obstacles (ie. people) on the road 3)stopping and parking calmly without accelerating into cars in front, behind, or to the side of you then you you must find your version of parking lots (really crappy days, off hours up and down the beach, full moon night surfing) and practice these things before driving in traffic.

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 01:46:25 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• It's like driving a car.  Leash or no leash you take on the responsibility of those around you the minute you start moving in (or on) your vehicle.  I can't imagine walking crossing the street and see the same looks in the eye of the driver coming at me as I do with half the folks riding big heavy boards on some days in the line up. Accidents will always happen regardless of skill of driver or type of equipment BUT, if you can't properly and consistently drive your vehicle, which includes at a minimum 1)paddling out without losing your vehicle 2)avoiding obstacles (ie. people) on the road 3)stopping and parking calmly without accelerating into cars in front, behind, or to the side of you then you you must find your version of parking lots (really crappy days, off hours up and down the beach, full moon night surfing) and practice these things before driving in traffic.

To your analogy, just bailing off your board when the wave closes out, is like jumping out of the moving car when someone pulls out in front of you or a tricky situation develops ahead.
    It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline jscottk

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 132
    • Mac OS X 10.8.3 Mac OS X 10.8.3
    • Browser:
    • Safari 6.0.3 Safari 6.0.3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 02:33:56 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Also, lets keep on target here

The number of times I have been clocked by a yo-yo board on a leash (a lot)
    versus a runaway board (actually never)

not even close.
    ..Whore it to death then sell the corpse on Craigslist... (used to be Ebay but eff Ebay and Paypal)

Offline uncutproducts

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 90
    • Browser:
    • Safari 6.0.5 Safari 6.0.5
      • AOL Instant Messenger - uncutproductsny
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 02:58:52 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • people tend to forget that a 9' leash on a 9' board is a 36' circle of potential pain for someone else. i surf leashless if it's under head high. makes you think about the entire wave including the exit. if it's closing out, grab rail and pull in. sticky fingers is one of the best skills you can develop.

Offline Smith St. Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 37
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 03:58:17 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Also, lets keep on target here
    The number of times I have been clocked by a yo-yo board on a leash (a lot)
    versus a runaway board (actually never)
    not even close.

Not a leash/leashless issue.  Matter of control and responsibility.  To go back to the car analogy thing, just because they invented seat belts and airbags doesn't mean you're allowed to take your eyes of the road and not learn to use breaks. 

Offline adamlesper

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 36
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Mac OS X 10.6.8 Mac OS X 10.6.8
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 30.0.1599.66 Chrome 30.0.1599.66
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 05:02:56 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Its also a function of so many longboards in the water these days.  20 years ago it was mostly shortboards, even beginners started on shortboards.  Now the water is dominated by big heavy boards which can really get a head of steam after they are ditched.  People must do all they can to hold on to their boards and other surfers have to anticipate who is not going to be able control their board.  I rather paddle down to an inferior peak with less people than dodge NSP's..

Offline CJsurf

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 49
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 07:46:50 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

Great analogy.