Author Topic: Greetings from the Wrong Coast  (Read 1134 times)

happy

Greetings from the Wrong Coast
« on: August 14, 2005, 04:00:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Okay, Red Door and I left for the airport early Friday morning with tears in our eyes and little shooting pains in our hearts. Whoever was up for DP that day was getting it GOOD! If you didn't score you were sleeping and then you're an asshole and should be kicking yourself in the groin, if physicially possible.

So far California has been very relaxing but the surf, IMHO, totally disappointing. Granted, it is summer here, the worst season, but when the Right Coast is seeing hurricane swell and the water temps are above 70 its pretty hard to get stoked after a session in 56 degree water on weak ass beachbreak. Some of the problem has been our timing, not quite sure what tide situation is best, so our attitude for tomorrow: WE WILL SCORE!

Most importantly, we got to hook up with Ventura Local and Keebler for a session yesterday. They squired us around in their sweet civic, loaned me a board (the legacy of Surfboards Australia carries on on the west coast, its like transporting a virus over state lines), were great to surf with and we were sorry we couldn't hang longer, both in the water and out. But the cold gets to you, my relatives were waiting, and we'll just look forward to the next time.

Most interesting element has been our rental of a G&S surftech fish. Red Door's take: "It's SWEET! Hot stuff. I don't care if they are made in Thailand." In other words, he's been having a lot of fun!

Offline uptown

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
    Re: Greetings from the Wrong Coast
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 04:35:14 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i missed surf two weeks ago because i was on a plane to LA at 7am.  then i missed it again this past friday because i had returned the night before, was tired, had lots of crap to do, and figured the wind would ruin it by 9am, which was not the case.  so my question is, should i kick myself in the groin twice or just once?

Offline sir_schadenfreude

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
    • Have you seen him?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 09:44:04 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • That stinks Happy.  It can get good out there, though...   ;)

That water feels tropical in March, man.  I hope you score somewhere.  I've had the worst luck with waves this summer: every time I think I'm going to get soem swell I have to go out of town at the last minute.  I've done 3 trips to the West Coast this year with the same result on both coasts.  It'll drive ya nuts.

Psycho

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 06:38:44 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Expect the worste & you cant be dissapointed. ;D 
    Im sure you guys will get something. If not go have fun in Cali. get wasted, get naked, & get some romance goin Beast Coast style! Scare the locals, make Rob wear a mankini, happy dont shave stuff for a week & go lay around on the beach in a thong. Have fun, come back over sexed & fattened from the good food! ;D

I do hope ya score somewhere tho. Is it really that cjilly in the wa wa right now? Dang!

Offline krut

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 09:08:10 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • You'll score,I have confdience.

when you coingiuback?

have an awesome time.

we will surf these waves for you.

+k

happy

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 09:29:14 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Our last session was by far the best. RD got barrelled and I finally managed to eke a decent ride out of the Surfboards Australia. I'm exceedingly grateful to Keebler for loaning it to me, but I did not have fun on that board. Its like a blank with some glass thrown on it. The rental fish worked out really well for RD and I tried it a couple of times. Very fast and skatey!

I have to admit I didn't enjoy my West Coast surf sessions so much. Wetsuit blues, wrong board, unfamiliar waves. Rock is a fast fast wave kids and I have renewed appreciation for that. I tried really hard to keep a positive attitude about our sessions, something I've been successfully doing at home, but since I'm used to nailing my drops and getting a turn or 2 in on a lot of my waves, it was hard to be okay with being a total KOOK every day. Poor RD. I'd get out of the water and sit on the bumper shivering and start to cry.

We had an awesome trip in total, however. The place where we surfed was beautiful, we saw seals (with the man in the gray suit lurking nearby, perhaps). The wedding was super nice and my mom and I got drunk and danced together. I led b/c I am taller and have bigger guns.

Offline Spindrift

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 3
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 09:32:43 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Are you guys back?  I hope you had some tasty west coast micro brews. Too bad you didn't score a bit better waves - but you went there for a wedding anyways. Any waves were an extra bonus.
    Surfing with all those seals is mighty fun. I actually had one touch my fins last time I was there. He circled me for about two minutes checkin' me out. But, yeah, Whitey can't be too far away.

happy

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 09:37:18 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Well, the waves were pretty decent our last session. Some chesties. And yes, we're back. Boy its flat  :-\

Offline krut

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 09:42:32 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • welcome back!

I understand about the bad sessions - often when i go somewhere there's waves for some reason other than to surf and I try and get a seesion in it never works out. I try borrowing or renting a board and it is usually very dissappointing. totally been there.

But I didn't cry...jeez...

;)

happy

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 09:44:34 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • you should try it sometime.

Offline Shacky

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 87
    • Soft hated: 3
      • AOL Instant Messenger - mcfloater
      • View Profile
      • CONDO
    « Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 10:51:35 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • welcome back.  this weekend is looking good, so you can redeme yourself. 
    You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.

http://www.condotheband.com

Offline krut

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 11:01:45 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I just did.

thank you, it helped.

Offline elephant

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 8
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 11:04:40 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I got some buddies from the San Fran area that surf Bolinas almost daily.  They watch the seals on shore for signs of "the landlord"  if the seals start to act nutty or do unusual stuff, they get the hell out of the water.  That and don't ever surf alone.  I am planning a trip as soon as possible to hook up with them and with VL and the elf.  I want to surf there, but it wil be the first time that that is on my mind.
    the best surfer is the one having the most fun

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 11:11:46 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The couple of times I've surfed out there, it's ALWAYS been on my mind....saw pods of dolphins a couple of times, but never a visit from "the landlord", thankfully. But it does play with your head a little...at least it does with mine: every shadow on the water..well..your eyes can play tricks on you...

But more important: welcome back you two...glad your back safe and sound!
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 206
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 11:15:03 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Allright cats & kittens, we're back and here's the 411.

I ain't gonna lie, Cali was a blast. The surfline report says  "Catch it on a blue, offshore, head-high day in the fall, and welcome to NorCal heaven."

Well, it wasn't offshore and it wasn't head high, but there were certainly some fun ones. But, it was grey, foggy and cold. Our first session was with Keebler and VenturaLocal and while it took a while for us to get into the water (which was steel grey and a bone chilling 54 degrees), the wait and initial shock were worth it.

I rode a Surftech G&S fish (rented from Peter Mel's Freeline Surf Shop, thank you very much). Think of your typical fish, just more streamlined and a less clunky tail. I've never ridden a more responsive surfboard with that much float. A consideration for sure. Anyway, we surfed at one of the State Beaches between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. This point break was about 1/2 a mile south of us, but we didn't surf there:

VL is every bit the surfer that I remember him to be and we shared a nice little right break for a while while Happy and Keebler searched for lefts. There were lefts to be had, but they weren't as frequent. When the left did come through, it was usually a set wave. We each (eventually) caught one of those. Two thirds through the session, I swapped the G&S with Happy for Keebler's Surfboards Australia and could immediately tell you why Happy was having a hard time. Compared to the G&S, I felt like I went from my fish to the Cooper. I was continually getting held up on waves that I had previously made with ease on the G&S. (Sorry if I sound ungrateful, Keebler saved our trip by offering us the use of her spare board, and we are eternally grateful). Beginners, if you read this you are not doing yourselves any favors by purchasing a Chinaboard.

So, we surfed went to a BBQ, met cousins and then went back to the previous days spot. Bad timing (see Happy's previous post). Very closey, but got better as we left (I wore a 2mm suit and couldn't move). But at least we went surfing.
    After that, we went back to HMB and got breakfast at the Main Street Grill, which is owned by Happy's Aunt and Uncle. If you ever are in HMB, go there. These are two of the most incredible people I have ever met. Their brilliance was only matched by their genourosity and kindness. Off to the wedding, reception, etc.

Session III same bat spot, but we went later and caught it really good. Solid chest high with shoulder sets. My best wave of the day was a 4-5 foot set wave (left) that just kept throwing, and then barrelled up as I hit the small sandbar (just enough to duck and cover). NICE! It was ON. A few minutes later, I saw Happy take off on a similar wave, only she was deeper and about to be dropped in on by some lady on a longboard. She makes the drop, and gets around the section, and makes the open face and that's all I saw as I had to duck dive. It was nice to see her put it together. As we all know, sometimes it takes some time to get a new place wired.

Back to Santa Cruz to drop off the board, up to Berkelely to meet Jeff & his wife (nice folks, very hospitible). We returned the SA to VL & Keebler who are living the dream in SF. Back to Berkeley. Next day we headed home.
    « Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 11:30:57 AM by RedDoor91st »
    So heavy you can't even pick it up.