Author Topic: dumpster divers anyone?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 776
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
Re: dumpster divers anyone?
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2010, 07:30:50 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • you are kidding right ?

Yeah. Technically, it was the second wave. The first was a short closeout.   ::) ::)

I got out of the water, put the board on the bike rack, and rode straight over to Larry the repair guy here in town - who by chance just happened to walk out of his house as I rode up. It'll be fixed and back in the water in no time, hopefully no worse for the wear. Because as crazy as this sounds, even in the 67 seconds I was in the water with it, I could tell I really liked it.

Sigh.

Oh well. Sucks...but it's better than stitches.  ::)
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline EastEndWahine

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 16
    • Soft hated: 0
    • go ahead, go shred
      • View Profile
      • the surfing handbook
    « Reply #46 on: August 06, 2010, 10:03:06 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • What!?  Oh NO!  :( Sorry to hear that.  What did you do, a floater or land in the flats or something?
    "Once you have flown, you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been, there you long to return."  da Vinci

Offline CESAR

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 26
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: August 06, 2010, 10:04:25 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • seriously...........I hope your kidding.

Offline CESAR

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 26
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: August 06, 2010, 10:06:31 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • That is sooooooo weak.  SC b/w the Black Beauty and this thing.......one can't help but wonder the quality of craftmanship on these CI's......(although that wave u busted the beauty on looked like a BOMB).

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #49 on: August 06, 2010, 11:56:53 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• What!?  Oh NO!  :( Sorry to hear that.  What did you do, a floater or land in the flats or something?

Uhh....yeah. Let's go with that. ::) (The reality? It was much less graceful than that - got pitched on a pretty innocuous, relatively inconsequential  wave, landed awkwardly on the deck. Just one of those dumb things).

That is sooooooo weak.  SC b/w the Black Beauty and this thing.......one can't help but wonder the quality of craftmanship on these CI's......(although that wave u busted the beauty on looked like a BOMB).

I hear ya, Cesar - but I have to be fair: the Black Beauty got taken out by a bomb on easily the heaviest day of the winter, and perhaps the heaviest day that I've been out in in the past 3 years; and the DumpsterDiver got injured purely due to "operator error" - wasnt the fault of the board at all. As a whole, opinions of Merrick business-wise aside, the quality of the boards is, in my estimation, very, very good.

Now that the initial trauma is over and I've had a chance to review the damage, it doesnt appear as bad as my initial assessment - hopefully it's going to be a pretty straightforward (albeit ugly) repai, but the board itself should be just fine going forward, I think.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline UNCLE!!

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 33
    • Soft hated: 2
    • local riff raff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #50 on: August 06, 2010, 12:51:07 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sheesh! I did get a bit more done on your BB. Sorry that's taking so long, but it's looking sweet. Hoping to get some more done Maybe Sunday. And as for the Quality, the Black Beauty seemed like a pretty heavy-duty board. No match, however, for our Mr. Seacliff!!
    Foamies are the new black

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #51 on: August 06, 2010, 02:22:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sheesh! I did get a bit more done on your BB. Sorry that's taking so long, but it's looking sweet. Hoping to get some more done Maybe Sunday. And as for the Quality, the Black Beauty seemed like a pretty heavy-duty board. No match, however, for our Mr. Seacliff!!

Hahahhahahhaa...yeah, when I walk into surfshops, boards quiver in my presence, for fear I will buy them and take them to their death!  ::) ::)

No worries on the time, Uncle!, I'm in no rush, I'm just flat out thrilled that she's being repaired! Let me know what kind of beer you like - a case of your favorite is on the way. Still looking forward to stopping by soon to check out how the repair looks....maybe sometime this weekend or next!

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #52 on: August 06, 2010, 02:46:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sorry to hear that. You are amazing. On the positive side, it's only a board. Easily replaced or fixed.

Offline UNCLE!!

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 33
    • Soft hated: 2
    • local riff raff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: August 06, 2010, 04:02:57 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Red Stripe and some limes please. I'll be around the compound all weekend. Come check her out. She's getting there...
    Foamies are the new black

Offline Jack Crank

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 25
    • Soft hated: 4
      • View Profile
      • No Gods, No Vegetables
      • Email
    « Reply #54 on: August 09, 2010, 12:26:47 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Damn SC, bummed to hear about the misfortune!

Tried out a 6'0" epoxy DD (I'm 6'0"x175) this weekend at the CI demo day.  Lots of fun even on tiny closeouts.  Now I really wanna try out a Frocket.  I think i'd go a little shorter though.

Offline boyeee

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • ...feelin' great since '78
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: August 09, 2010, 04:43:53 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • dont be affraid to go really short on the DD.... mine is 5'7 and i could easily go shorter
    team freeloader!

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #56 on: August 09, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • dont be affraid to go really short on the DD.... mine is 5'7 and i could easily go shorter

Even with my limited time, I can tell this is totally true. At 5'7" It's 5" shorter than what I normally ride, and I wasnt uncomfortable in the least. Grom got a 5'6" this weekend and totally loves it - he normally rides boards anywhere from 5'9 to 5'11.

Can't wait to get mine back, it should be ready by midweek (in time for it to go flat.  ::) )

Offline EastEndWahine

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 16
    • go ahead, go shred
      • View Profile
      • the surfing handbook
    « Reply #57 on: August 09, 2010, 10:38:39 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Ok - 5'4 or 5'6???  I've got two options.  The 5'4 is 19 wide and 2 1/8 thick.  The 5'6" is 19 1/4 and 2 1/4.  The 5'6 seems slightly too big, but I'm worried the 5'4 is slightly too small.  I don't even think they make a 5'5 unless it's custom.  I love my 5'5 quad biscuitish board, but it has a LOT of foam.  I'm like 125 in a wetsuit I guess.  Any suggestions?
    "Once you have flown, you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been, there you long to return."  da Vinci

Offline boyeee

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • ...feelin' great since '78
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: August 10, 2010, 01:22:21 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 5'5! no question
    team freeloader!

Offline DukeStorm

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 9
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #59 on: August 10, 2010, 07:47:53 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

Even with my limited time, I can tell this is totally true. At 5'7" It's 5" shorter than what I normally ride, and I wasnt uncomfortable in the least. Grom got a 5'6" this weekend and totally loves it - he normally rides boards anywhere from 5'9 to 5'11.

Can't wait to get mine back, it should be ready by midweek (in time for it to go flat.  ::) )

Anytime you get a buckle or delam or significantly damage a new board it does make you wonder if it cured long enough or properly? You would think that a CI coming from CA would have enough cure time just in shipping alone? I had a cannibal that delamed a couple weeks right after purchasing..that still makes me wonder. Granted, it was my fault as well, but still ...