Author Topic: the downfall of the daily rider  (Read 1110 times)

Offline moses_is_crowded

• Local Access
  • Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 3
  • Soft hated: 1
    • View Profile
the downfall of the daily rider
« on: July 27, 2005, 07:41:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • It seems like from what I read on these boards many people have a quiver of boards thy keep in pretty good shape and rotate there surfing with.

Does anyone just get a board ride it till it dies and then go for the next "daily rider".  Thats what I have done for my surfing life.  I have kept a board here or there but I am tough on my boards, and do not like to switch around from swell to swell.  I always start second guessing what I'm riding and hate to bring two boards to the beach.  My current daily rider is on its last legs.  Its a WRV has some dents,  brown spots etc and soon it will be retired sold or given away.

Anyone else go through this ritual.  It has been three years since my last switch. Looking foward to my new board.  I

Offline dynamite

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
    Re: the downfall of the daily rider
    « Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 09:07:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • usually stick to the same board too, and I don't like bringing 2 to the beach.  But sometimes can't tell jsut by the buouy numbers if shortboard is going to be enough on the smaller days when I need my fish.    So I guess I use 2 boards, but most of the time stick to the same one.  And just like yours, the nose is brown, dents, cracks, and fisures everywhere, but so used to it actually feel bad giving it up...
    howdy

Offline surfdawg

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 27
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 11:37:15 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I am like you M-I-C, I have two boards now, one big wave board and one 6'4" quad. I have done the quiver thing, and I just like to get used to to the way one board paddles, floats, and rides. I think simpler is better, and just a question here, but do you find that some people with a half dozen boards are big talkers?

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 12:01:16 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 2 boards; small waves, "bigger" waves.

it takes me some time to get a board wired. if i lived in a locale where there were waves everyday and i surfed almost as much, i think i would definately have more of a quiver, but i don't want to worry about getting used to a different board on the few good days we get. I've been thinking about getting a longboard, too, and if i traveled to surf larger waves i would probably want a narrower, longer board too.

Offline Some people call me Maurice

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - LIsurf615
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 12:40:40 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • fish and a shortboard, fish for small days and choppy days and shortboard cleaner medium-big days

Psycho

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 06:02:25 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i used to switch up alot on mu Boogs, i know alotta people dont know that its like surfing alot in that mannor, (I remember the 1rst time someone asked me at nsss, "you wax them things?") but theres many different shapes, sizes & materials so in the winter depending on the size of the waves, I would choose between certain boards. The waters cold 7 the waves were heavy I used to use a heavier board with a dencer core but Im very lucky & have a sponsoreship so I dont really worry about it now, I just use what i like for my body type.

Now that I surf, Ive been switching alot just to experiment but Im noticing that I really have fun on my TB. Its completely changed my surfing & I feel like I can ride almost everything now but I got a bit of a butt kickin last night.

Offline skSURF

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 09:01:23 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I've got two boards. 7'0" mini gun and a 7'6" fun/fish. The 7'0" was my first board typical beginner mistake but, I love it in head high or better. The fun/fish is great for just about anything under chest high. I do want to get another board though for those in-between days. I'm thinking a 6'8" Flyer. Iím a big guy so I need a larger board.
    Trust in the board.

Offline ward_hill

• Local Access
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 02:21:12 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • have ridden a couple of different boogers, but am back to my orginal Mach 7X b/c my newer board got ruined - looking to upgrade to a lighter 43in board

got my longboard several years ago ...  a 9-4 tri-fin w/concave nose shaped by Bruce Jones in Cali and delivered to me in ny - it's been a good first board, but it always feels a little unwieldy in bigger than chest-high surf (which has been my stand-up limit anyway! - when it's bigger, I sponge) - been thinking about a shorter single fin for those days when it's chest to head high+ and also something easier to travel with (planning my first winter trip for Feb 06 to PR)

for the majority of days though, i guess i would ride the 9-4, so i suppose that would be the daily rider - right now, it's my only stand-up ride! 

Offline surfnli

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
    • Soft hated: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 03:05:47 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 2 boards; small waves, "bigger" waves.

it takes me some time to get a board wired. if i lived in a locale where there were waves everyday and i surfed almost as much, i think i would definately have more of a quiver, but i don't want to worry about getting used to a different board on the few good days we get. I've been thinking about getting a longboard, too, and if i traveled to surf larger waves i would probably want a narrower, longer board too.

so true.  i hardly ever experiment or change things up because we have such small windows for decent waves i can't afford to 'waste' a session.  i accumulated a quiv, realized i didn't need one, got rid of a bunch, still looking to get rid of my fish...

now my daily rider is a 6'4 single fin.  small days it's a 9'8 hobie.  i haven't ridden my 6'3 squash since last summer.  i haven't even had an opportunity to use my brand new minigun.  fish i use in place of the single at shorebreaky spots, but i'm looking to move it like i said.

Offline Spindrift

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 03:12:32 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • nice surfing steal your face pass the stoke. i like it.

Offline Some people call me Maurice

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
      • AOL Instant Messenger - LIsurf615
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 05:52:50 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • nice surfing steal your face pass the stoke. i like it.

thanks man. photoshops a good thing for wen ur bored outta ur mind like my friend was last nite, he made it and said here u go hippy. he does a lotta photoshop stuff and told me to say that if anyone wants a signature or summtin made like that and doesnt have photoshop he'll do it for as summtin to do in his free time
    « Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 06:33:18 PM by pass the stoke »

Offline moses_is_crowded

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 06:08:50 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • weird timing for me to post this.....last night i tried to fix my daily rider which has had three major dings and glass breaks covered with duct tape for over a year......

the resin did not cure in time so i have to bust out my only other board here at my house which is my previous daily rider a very small but thick fish.....it rode pretty goog and i liked it a lot today.....towards the end of the session i started falling a lot in parts of turns and dropping in...i felt real unsteady....i though iwas tired and out of shape (which i am).....

when i went to put the board in my back yard i realize thhat at one point during the session my left fcs fin plug ripped right out of the glass...not just the fin mind you but the whole plug...not sure how to fix that...

i think my current board was pissed and put a hex on my old fish