Author Topic: crossover 4x4s  (Read 1251 times)

Offline uncutproducts

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 90
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 10.0 Safari 10.0
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uncutproductsny
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: crossover 4x4s
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 02:44:52 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have all my beach driving stuff in a milk crate. Cut a few pieces of 3/4 plywood to fit inside on the bottom for jackboatds. Fits first aid kit, tow rope, piece of chain, tire plug kit, shovel, flashlight, air hose, hatchet/hammer, fire extinguisher, folding shovel. Also have a 20cf co2 tank with air chuck on it just in case. Makes for easy packing when we go to the beach. In summer me or my wife is driving on almost daily. Invest in good deflators too not the crappy ones.

Offline fulltilt720

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 43
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 58.0.3029.110 Chrome 58.0.3029.110
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 09:39:02 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have all my beach driving stuff in a milk crate. Cut a few pieces of 3/4 plywood to fit inside on the bottom for jackboatds. Fits first aid kit, tow rope, piece of chain, tire plug kit, shovel, flashlight, air hose, hatchet/hammer, fire extinguisher, folding shovel. Also have a 20cf co2 tank with air chuck on it just in case. Makes for easy packing when we go to the beach. In summer me or my wife is driving on almost daily. Invest in good deflators too not the crappy ones.

damn, very prepared. For the deflators, you talking about the screw on and walk away ones?

Offline uncutproducts

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 90
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Mac OS X 10.12.6 Mac OS X 10.12.6
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 56.0.2924.87 Chrome 56.0.2924.87
      • AOL Instant Messenger - uncutproductsny
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 12:25:53 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

damn, very prepared. For the deflators, you talking about the screw on and walk away ones?

better to be prepared. tire patch kit necessary if you don't have a full size spare. lot of nails on the beach from people burning pallets.

these are good, the cheap ones break. make sure you take them off, lot of people drive with them on and they get sand stuck in them.

https://www.amazon.com/Staun-SCV5-Tire-Deflators/dp/B00QBPBLWY

we drive a lot of miles on sand for the past 15 years so picked up a bunch of good tricks. when we get home i park above a oscillating sprinkler to wash undercarriage. another good tip is making sure there's grease on wheel studs and they're torqued right. had them seize before from the salt. keep tie rod ends and anything with a grease fitting greased and wiped off. sand sticks to everything. ate my alternator too from being packed with sand, blow it out once in a while with air gun now.

Offline fulltilt720

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 43
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 58.0.3029.110 Chrome 58.0.3029.110
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 01:45:45 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • very helpful stuff, thanks. hunting for full-size spare at the moment, but which tire patch kit do you use? Would something like this work on the beach, or would you not trust it based only fixing up to 1/4 inch punctures?

Only driven on 2x so far, but apartment living with no hose is terrifying so took it to car wash but don't evne think they got undercarriage. not sustainable practice, gotta figure out workaround.

Offline navara

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 10
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • very helpful stuff, thanks. hunting for full-size spare at the moment, but which tire patch kit do you use? Would something like this work on the beach, or would you not trust it based only fixing up to 1/4 inch punctures?

Only driven on 2x so far, but apartment living with no hose is terrifying so took it to car wash but don't evne think they got undercarriage. not sustainable practice, gotta figure out workaround.
    Self serve car wash. The ones with the pressure washer? A wash after each trip isnt a bad idea but a little overboard in my opinion. I coat the undercarriage 2x a year with rust converting paint and this year i tried salt neutralizer. You can pick it up from any marine/boat supply store.

I have a pick up so my jack jack board and shovel just stay in the back. My fire extinguisher is on a quick release mount mounted in the bed. My tow strap and some other recovery equipment is tucked behind the bench seat of the dual cab. I am  lucky enough to live just over the RM causeway. When there is a line at the air up station i just drive home but i do keep a hose in the bed as well. For spots that don't have air stations i have a cheap masterflow pump that puts out decent CFM's. But it takes forever to air up 33 inch tires. There is an air station at hither hills if you venture out that way.

For punctures you need a plug kit. Patches only work by taking the tire off the rim.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk