Author Topic: Cristobol  (Read 26482 times)

Offline BltByKrmn

• Local (Gold)
  • Liked: 44
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.135 Chrome 36.0.1985.135
    • View Profile
Re: Cristobol
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2014, 06:25:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • or like me saying that I had a great time last Friday morning surfing a little bit west of my usual spot. And no, it wasn't the NSSS, and no, I'm not telling - those side boobs were on display just for me and a small handful of lucky souls who happened to be there.  ;)

Hey now you're talking about my usual spot, you better watch it.

Kidding, everyone was actually pretty civilized when you guys were there.

Offline Bacon

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 263
    • Soft hated: 27
    • 5'2" or nothin' bru
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: September 02, 2014, 07:17:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I've got three buses with 4 wheel drive ready to go to the unnamed spot on the next swell. I will load them up with over 120 regularfooters. We will all be sitting on the shoulders. We will paddle for every wave. We will always go right. Thank you so much for leaving the geo tags in the photo so I can bring my crew to you.
    I need the sea because it teaches me.

Offline Bru

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 21
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: September 03, 2014, 07:12:50 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Has to be said, at least for points west, that the can of RAID sprayed by the ACOE on 90 St scattered the roaches, many of whom were previously quite content to spend days measuring d*cks by the rocks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 36.0.1985.143 Chrome 36.0.1985.143
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: September 03, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Steak knives. I'm selling steak knives. Mediocrity suits me.
    atta boy Bubba now remmba ya gotta sellem the idea of the slice and sizzle not the actual surf and turf

and tell em the knife looks like a semi gun that'll killem

Offline BillGraham

• Liked: 11
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: September 04, 2014, 09:01:42 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • This is my real name and the place we are talking about is my home spot.  I've been surfing it for around 40 years.  The consensus that day was that the conditions were very challenging, a bunch of people got washed over the rocks, and we are lucky no one was seriously hurt this time.  The problem is that access is now so easy, but being able to get there has nothing to do with what happens in the water.  Pretend you are visiting a local yokel spot in another country.  You wouldn't show up with six friends, blast shitty music, pull out your cell phone and call all your friends, set up a camera with a long lens, try to put a damned anchor out in the lineup to hang on to against the current, paddle past the locals who have been battling the current for an hour and try to snake a set wave, and then Facebook and Instagram the crap out of it.  Or maybe you would....

Offline Shacky

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 87
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 37.0.2062.103 Chrome 37.0.2062.103
      • AOL Instant Messenger - mcfloater
      • View Profile
      • CONDO
    « Reply #50 on: September 04, 2014, 01:14:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Tell me someone didn't really try to put down an anchor.  No freaking way.
    You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.

http://www.condotheband.com

Offline BillGraham

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: September 04, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yep, last November.  One of our team got tangled up in it and was pretty pissed off.  Those photos were splashed all over Surfline.

Offline avaday

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 17
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 7.0 MS Internet Explorer 7.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: September 04, 2014, 01:51:18 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • without seeing the pic, i prob know the spot.  know about surfing there for too many years to count, but have only been there exactly two times...just out of my zones for surfing typically, always a project to get there...etc, etc.  but by posting on social media and chatty chatty to all your friends, it gets more blown up with each swell.  nowadays, anyone with a phone, can know pretty much everything and anything about ny/nj surf..used to take years to figure out.  i like billygrahams response, though it think he is being too polite.  give respect...get respect.  wow, if i was a regular there i would be so pissed and def would have cut that anchor...shut off the music...and other non-mentionables.  perhaps 4x4 access will be taken away...sounds like it is being abused there...and clean up ur trash...leave no trace...i can't believe the garbage this year in my local spot on the east end...no respect!

Offline BillGraham

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: September 04, 2014, 02:15:04 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I don't expect things to stay the same forever but the crowd influx in the past few years has been ridiculous.  I don't talk much out in the water and if I get angry, my surfing goes out the window so I try to avoid getting involved in the brown trout show.  Lots of my friends are pretty fed up though, my best advice from here on out is to respect the natives and keep a low profile.

Offline jscottk

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 132
    • Soft hated: 4
    • Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mac OS X 10.9.4
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0.5 Safari 7.0.5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: September 04, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • This is my real name and the place we are talking about is my home spot.  I've been surfing it for around 40 years.  The consensus that day was that the conditions were very challenging, a bunch of people got washed over the rocks, and we are lucky no one was seriously hurt this time.  The problem is that access is now so easy, but being able to get there has nothing to do with what happens in the water.  Pretend you are visiting a local yokel spot in another country.  You wouldn't show up with six friends, blast shitty music, pull out your cell phone and call all your friends, set up a camera with a long lens, try to put a damned anchor out in the lineup to hang on to against the current, paddle past the locals who have been battling the current for an hour and try to snake a set wave, and then Facebook and Instagram the crap out of it.  Or maybe you would....

You just described every swell in Rockaway...

Only we feel "lucky" when someone gets washed into the rocks..usually serves them right.

That exact situation during Crist' happened at what use to be an empty spot for years.
    Some walrus looking Donovan MF'er yahoo, shows up with his film crew, paddled around everyone making it more dangerous every set wave as we all got to close to the rocks, he takes off (after snaking my friend) and wham, right on the rocks, I hope he effed up a his board and himself, eft him.  His photog (who earlier called everyone on his cell phone) then proceeded to drop in on a very local guy..the photog was on a bodyboard of course...

..Whore it to death then sell the corpse on Craigslist... (used to be Ebay but eff Ebay and Paypal)

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0.6 Safari 7.0.6
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #55 on: September 04, 2014, 02:24:33 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

You just described every swell in Rockaway...

Only we feel "lucky" when someone gets washed into the rocks..usually serves them right.

That exact situation during Crist' happened at what use to be an empty spot for years.
    Some walrus looking Donovan MF'er yahoo, shows up with his film crew, paddled around everyone making it more dangerous every set wave as we all got to close to the rocks, he takes off (after snaking my friend) and wham, right on the rocks, I hope he effed up a his board and himself, eft him.  His photog (who earlier called everyone on his cell phone) then proceeded to drop in on a very local guy..the photog was on a bodyboard of course...

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:58:01 PM by The Lone Surfer »

Offline BillGraham

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: September 04, 2014, 02:36:52 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Just an anecdote, I got my first cell phone in the mid 90's for work when they were not all that common.  The rule at the spot then was "no cameras, no cell phones."  Maybe it's time to bring that one back and add Facebook and Instagram to the list.

Secondly, I reckon that it took a decade of me surfing there every single swell before I got a set wave without getting stuffed by the older guys, it's just that kind of a place and the same people surf it constantly.
    « Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 03:12:29 PM by BillGraham »

Offline jscottk

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 132
    • Soft hated: 4
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0.5 Safari 7.0.5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: September 04, 2014, 03:11:35 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • never mind, post deleted
    « Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 03:36:22 PM by jscottk »
    ..Whore it to death then sell the corpse on Craigslist... (used to be Ebay but eff Ebay and Paypal)

Offline jammy

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 51
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 31.0 Firefox 31.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: September 04, 2014, 03:44:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I've been following this thread and finally googled around to find the offending photo. I can say from an outsiders perspective that I would have no idea where that spot was. I do understand that people naming the spot in comments on Instagram would be upsetting to those who surf there, and perhaps the frustration is really with them and the crowds and the way media, including social media, drives them. I would guess that most who are piling on Jim are guilty themselves in some respect. I have seen more pictures of one of the posters on this thread than anyone else on this site, we all know where he surfs, so does he or the photographer who frequently posts pix of him deserve public shaming and yes, veiled threats?

The most appalling thing to me about the photo was it's content. The trucks lined up on the beach speak of selfish destruction. Vehicles belong on a road or a parking lot, not on a stretch of dune and sand that would be certainly affected by trucks lumbering across them.

(Full disclosure, I am a photographer and am thus an offender.)
    NLITB

Offline jammy

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 51
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 31.0 Firefox 31.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: September 04, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »