Author Topic: Cloud 9 boards  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Myles11710

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
  • Liked: 8
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 0.8.2 Safari 0.8.2
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cloud 9 boards
« on: May 04, 2016, 07:19:16 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Has anyone ever surfed a cloud 9 cicada? Looks like an hypto krypto. Can anyone tell me about the company? I don't see there boards in any shops on the south shore but i like the shapes alot

Offline surfdoc

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 41
    • Pay it forward...
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: Cloud 9 boards
    « Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 07:29:14 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I believe he is based out of Plainview and he has a cnc machine. He's fairly new to shaping or should I say milling.
    No matter how hard you train, it all comes down to confidence.

Offline navara

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 21
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 09:27:14 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yup, everyone wants a hypto krypto in their catelog. He was in surfers mag shapers alley series for long island shapers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline navara

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 21
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 09:32:03 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• Offline surfvaulter

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 19
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 50.0.2661.94 Chrome 50.0.2661.94
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 10:29:06 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
    « Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:19:07 AM by surfvaulter »

Offline Myles11710

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 03:02:18 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks for the heads up and the words of warning. There are so many shapers on the island it's hard to settle. Mike at NS has made me a few boards I really like I will stick with him

Offline MKCloud9

• Liked: 2
    • Mac OS X 10.6.8 Mac OS X 10.6.8
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 49.0.2623.112 Chrome 49.0.2623.112
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 08:05:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Allow me to speak up on the topic a bit. Firstly I'd like to introduce myself... Hi Matt Kennaugh ( Owner... Shaper... "Miller" ) @ Cloud Nine. To cover a couple of the things addressed above.. Yes based out of Plainview in a warehouse space housing the only Aps3000 (cutting machine) north of the carolinas. Yes the boards I shape come off of that very machine.. They are more precise than hand shaping and the cut time is much faster and less labor intensive than hand shaping. It also allows me to reproduce a shape time and time again spot on...     

Now as for the Cicada being similar to a Hypto... Yes it is actually based off of that very shape.. It's a shape that has been around for generations and works very well in many different conditions. Great summer board for Long Island area.. I respect Hayden and his business very much.

As for the broken board that delaminated... I was unaware of the fact that it broke down so badly. The last contact on that particular board as I recall.. I did in fact say "it may need time to cure" As sometimes that is the issue at hand.. However I am more than willing to agree this particular case seems to have been far worse than a matter of curing.  I outsource my glassing... This particular board was ordered over the winter. It was a custom order for an Epoxy core board. Something I admit I did not have much experience with at the time as I prefer and predominately work with poly. However I took on this order because I was confident I could knock the shape out regardless. At this particular time my glasser.. (who will not be mentioned) had planned a surf trip.. I had already dropped this board off with him and was waiting for it to be turned around. The trip that I had been told was going to be a week... turned into over a month long hiatus. I had no way to get the board back while he was gone.. I apologized as many times as I could about the long wait on getting this board back to the customer... And to be fair it was 5 weeks... not 5 months... I never dodged any calls or attempts to contact me. Had I known that this board clearly was beyond a curing issue than I would have been more than happy to replace it with a new one free of charge.. I stand by my product and and deeply upset that this was your experience with my shape. This offer stands if you are willing to try another Cloud 9 shape free of charge.. I apologize for this and would like to make the situation right. I am only human and occasionally 1 might get away from me here or there.. I can be reached at [email protected] I'd like to make this right.

For the record I'd also appreciate the opportunity to rectify an issue personally before I get blasted online in the future..

Thanks for your time and please feel free to hit me up.

Cheers

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:19:41 PM by MKCloud9 »

Offline Mark E

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 57
    • Soft hated: 4
    • Mac OS X 10.10.5 Mac OS X 10.10.5
    • Browser:
    • Safari 9.0.3 Safari 9.0.3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 08:46:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Guys offering to replace the board. Wouldn't do any harm to take him up on the offer and post a review.
    "Take care of your knees, you'll miss them when they are gone"

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 93
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 09:15:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Free boards for everyone!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Kyle

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 205
    • Soft hated: 14
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 10:28:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Haha, funny, Kdropin... but sounds like he's handling the slogging well. Great first post, Matt!

Offline Mayday

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 124
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 11:06:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Haha, funny, Kdropin... but sounds like he's handling the slogging well. Great first post, Matt!
    Yeah I definitely wouldn't be that civil if someone's bashing my business. Good on ya, cloud9.

Online derekdeldeshkin

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 50.0.2661.94 Chrome 50.0.2661.94
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 12:59:51 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • "Mill" the boards and contract the glassing? Then, what do you do?

Offline MKCloud9

• Mac OS X 10.6.8 Mac OS X 10.6.8
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 49.0.2623.112 Chrome 49.0.2623.112
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 08:46:59 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Great question....    For some reason people tend to believe that a board cut off a machine or "Milled" (not an industry term by the way) is a finished shape straight off the machine. That is not the case.. the boards have a good outline and a lot of the lines are in place as well as the volume, but they still need the tail and nose to be worked in along with the cleaning up of the rails and rest of the board. These machines vary.. some are router based.. my particular machine is a circular grinder blade that works on a 3 axis. After the board comes off of the machine depending on the size of the board there is about 20 to 45 minutes of hand shaping that is left to be done. If the machine is being used to its full potential then majority of the design work is done on the computer program creating the "board file"...  There seems to be a certain amount of shade being thrown at the idea of boards being "milled" rather than hand shaped..  Hate to break this to you guys but this is the way the industry has progressed. Just about every board you come across in a shop has been cut on a machine. All of the major brands Channel Islands, Rusty, Lost, JS, DHD, ect... are all cut on machines and most likely finished by ghost shapers (to an extent)... This is the way it is and the boards work just as well if not better. As for the contract glassing.. this is also how majority of the big brands work.. spreading the overload of shaped boards out to several different "Glass Houses"... If I had the time and space I would love to personally tend to every aspect of the board building process but that is just not a realistic situation for me... I try to do my best to source the best available Glassers in the area to come up with the best end result and turn around time... Glassing is a difficult skill to master and there are far and few that can meet the quality I hold my boards to and also able to do this as a full time gig. That Epoxy board was a situation in which the glasser did not have the experience or skill to meet the demands of an epoxy board (epoxy resin and foam are very different materials and have a much different chemical reaction).. he is the best poly glasser around and I still work with him and am confident in his ability when it comes to poly. As for Epoxy as well as my overload of boards I work with another glasser who is also at a california level (meaning he knows his brown trout). Hopefully this clears up a bit and gives a bit of insight to how things work in the board building world. If you are still wondering what I do than I'd be happy to show you sometime...       

Offline Myles11710

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 12:12:44 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • MK I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a lengthy post. I agree with you that the only way to keep up with the demands of the explosively growing surf industry is to embrace new technology. I don't understand why "purists" think this process takes something away from the soul of the shaping craft. With that understanding you would also be against electric tools and saws and laser levels. As a surfer if I'm dropping 7 plus bills on a board I want exactly what Iam looking for I don't care if it's made in a space ship or a guys backyard by hand. You seem like a gentlemen and I would like to see you operation some time for sure thanks for the insight

Offline MKCloud9

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 02:31:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks Myles ! Would be happy to show you the operation feel free to drop a line ( [email protected] ) and we can set that up.