Author Topic: Best winter suit?  (Read 4519 times)

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 776
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.11.1 Mac OS X 10.11.1
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0.1 Safari 9.0.1
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
Re: Best winter suit?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 10:06:31 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I thought Xcel made the best suits, for the money. Recently I purchased a 4/3 Xcel online, but I couldn't get the size right... I eventually went with a Hyperflex that was about HALF the price. I also have a Hyperflex spring suit. The quality is fair and they sure seem stretchy(flex). Has the quality of Xcel fallin' off in recent years?

I'm concerned with some decrease in quality in recent years, but I keep buying them anyway because the cut fits me. As @avaday pointed out, the quality doesn't matter if it doesn't fit right. Plus, I tend to be a creature of habit. but that said, I'm probably going to go out on limb sometime in the next 2 or 3 weeks and try something other than Xcel. Still not sure what I'll go with, so I was happy to see @waterboy start this thread and hope the comments keep coming!
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
    • Mac OS X 10.10.5 Mac OS X 10.10.5
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 10:13:41 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • My only big gripe with xcels are that every single suit, bar none, get crotch leak after a handful of sessions. Not a big deal on a 3/2, but is a big deal in a 5/4. So, you end up having to practically buy a new suit every season. I'm kind of amazed that it seems like this have not been addressed in the last 3-5 years. You would think they would know, and fix it at this point.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.11.1 Mac OS X 10.11.1
    • Browser:
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 10:54:15 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • My only big gripe with xcels are that every single suit, bar none, get crotch leak after a handful of sessions. Not a big deal on a 3/2, but is a big deal in a 5/4. So, you end up having to practically buy a new suit every season. I'm kind of amazed that it seems like this have not been addressed in the last 3-5 years. You would think they would know, and fix it at this point.

It's clear to me that there's an evil genius at work at the highest levels of Xcel corporate headquarters, a guy who is fed up with overcrowded surf spots and has decided to do something about it, even if it costs his own company business.

His plan goes like this: We all know that surfer parents bring up, invariably, surfer kids. So following his mad logic, leaky crotch leads to cold testicles, cold testicles to lower sperm counts, lower sperm counts leads to fewer babies being born to surfers. Fewer surfer babies eventually means fewer surfers and ultimately less crowds. Why else would this known, obvious flaw not be fixed? It's a conspiracy, I tell ya.  ;) ;)
    « Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:59:00 AM by SeaCliff, Reason: corrected typo »
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 47.0.2526.73 Chrome 47.0.2526.73
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 10:55:19 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Rip curl E-bomb....warm flexible and priced right. Got the 4.5/3.5 and warm all winter.

How long do you surf for a session?
    It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline Mayday

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 124
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 11:12:20 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

It's clear to me that there's an evil genius at work at the highest levels of Xcel corporate headquarters, a guy who is fed up with overcrowded surf spots and has decided to do something about it, even if it costs his own company business.

His plan goes like this: We all know that surfer parents bring up, invariably, surfer kids. So following his mad logic, leaky crotch leads to cold testicles, cold testicles to lower sperm counts, lower sperm counts leads to fewer babies being born to surfers. Fewer surfer babies eventually means fewer surfers and ultimately less crowds. Why else would this known, obvious flaw not be fixed? It's a conspiracy, I tell ya.  ;) ;)

Actually it's the opposite. Optimal sperm temp is 1 to 3 degrees c colder than body temp. That's why testicles sit lower / outside the body. Xcel is crowding the lineups those evil bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline waterboy

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 35
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 42.0 Firefox 42.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I also struggle with the notion of just getting a bomb proof 4/3 that gets me to new years. sitting out jan and feb as i only surf on wknds in those months anyway due to short daylight, and the chance of there being clean surf in those 8 weekends may not justify the 5/4 purchase...
    Jesus is coming, look busy.

Offline wolf larsen

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 15
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • sing like buildings
      • Email
    « Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 03:24:33 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
    this is total truth and why i won't buy a 5/4 xcel moving forward.
    think it, feel it, do it

Offline Ryan

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 25
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 04:02:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Rip curl E-bomb....warm flexible and priced right. Got the 4.5/3.5 and warm all winter.

How long do you surf for a session?

On average 2 hours, but can last up to 3. Never actually tried over 3 hours honestly, with 2 kids 4 and 7 I'm lucky to find 2 hrs to surf. Suits really warm my 3/2 ebomb I start wearing iwhen the water hits 48 degress.

Offline ankleslapper

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • Mac OS X 10.10.5 Mac OS X 10.10.5
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 06:13:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • A new one beats an old one.  Was feeling unusually cold in the water last weekend, when my husband reminded me that I had a new unworn suit in the basement - bought last spring - that I'd completely forgotten about as it was purchased so late in the season...  Yay!
    the A is a small price to pay

Offline Jaxson_Dobbs

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 4
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 07:07:25 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Crotch leak? Never a problem for me... Perhaps a Urologist could help? Unless its the other end, then I guess you might want to see a proctologist?

Offline fulltilt720

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 44
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Mac OS X 10.10.0 Mac OS X 10.10.0
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 46.0.2490.86 Chrome 46.0.2490.86
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 12:49:25 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I've got all xcel but only because they tend to end up on whiskeymilitia and can grab a suit for 50% off....although my latest 5/4 drylock has no bill on the hood, which is insane...

Offline seb

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 99
    • Soft hated: 5
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 05:02:53 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• I believe the whiskey suits are factory rejects...that's why they don't last.

I've got all xcel but only because they tend to end up on whiskeymilitia and can grab a suit for 50% off....although my latest 5/4 drylock has no bill on the hood, which is insane...
    it's 6AM, have you seen a donkey?

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
    • Linux Linux
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 47.0.2526.76 Chrome 47.0.2526.76
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 05:54:18 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• I believe the whiskey suits are factory rejects...that's why they don't last.

I've got all xcel but only because they tend to end up on whiskeymilitia and can grab a suit for 50% off....although my latest 5/4 drylock has no bill on the hood, which is insane...

Really, why do you think that? I have never seen any mention of it.

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 93
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 11:27:15 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Would they have to disclose that?  Saying irregular or something similar?  Makes sense that it would be surplus goods that they need to push out bc it's previous years goods

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 01:04:55 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • What they are is last year's suits {my theory}, considering they are on sale in the off season usually or early for Winter and they are never the newest version of the suits. I have never seen actual defects in the suits. I have bought a suit from other online store and the crotch STILL leaked after about a season.
    It's no better to be safe than sorry....