Author Topic: Aug 15th  (Read 731 times)

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 22
  • Soft hated: 1
    • View Profile
Aug 15th
« on: August 14, 2005, 10:40:28 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • <a href="http://www.yesalbum.com/v001/little_nasty/surf_report0508151039.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.yesalbum.com/v001/little_nasty/surf_report0508151039.swf</a>

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    Re: Aug 15th
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 10:42:50 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • shoobie do ln.  riddle me this: how was the east end large (sets head occ bigger)?  i locked into some nice zippers this am and yesterday pm.  whatever irene's doing, i like.  i like so much actually, that i don't even mind that i don't even mind that i have to take my car to the shop tomorrow am and go into nyc for interviews in the pm.  putting in about 14 quality water hours in two days, 18 or so in three can do that to ya.  stoooooooooooooked  :)
    The answer lies in the fact that the east end is more exposed and also the explanation i gave to preface the previous forecast:
    Importantly, the swell we're seeing now was created over a range of time about 72hrs ago from a distance of over 1000 nm.  The thing is that she was headed toward us at the time, so there's a lot of wave trains created over a long period of time all riding on the same track.  It's a little hard to explain - a little like one of those questions on math tests like "mary gets on a train at 2pm going 50mph and johnny gets on another train...." - like that times 100.  So it mostly depends on the relationship between the period of swell being generated and the varying distance to our shore as she's moving closer - there could be a lot of constructive interference resulting in bigger swell and some nice outsized sets, or not at all.  I'm not really gonna try and figure it out.  Judging by what's showing, i think it's more likely to happen (or be happening) in NJ at this point.
    anyway, it also seems to be happening in some spots out east from what i gather.  It's always tricky when you have a system moving right at you for a long period of time.  Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not.  I think jersey is getting the best of it for our area.

p.s.  why is every swell on the east end this year accompanied with a fog?
    basically i think cause the water was so frickin cold pretty late into the summer.  Then, whoa, the air got frickin' hot and even though the water's nice and warm, the gradient is pretty big.  And your observation about our persistent onshores are also keeping them on the shore.  my $.02
    « Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 10:48:28 PM by little_nasty »

Offline Chip

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Formerly known as Sinker
      • AOL Instant Messenger - Lostnysurf
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 10:46:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • hmm still predicting offshore's . Cant wait for tomorrow gonna be fun

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 11:03:37 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • since people are asking, wind picture looks kinda like this - run from 8a-8p..

<a href="http://www.yesalbum.com/v001/little_nasty/winds.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.yesalbum.com/v001/little_nasty/winds.swf</a>

Offline sir_schadenfreude

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Have you seen him?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 11:17:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Either I can't see anything there, or you're predicting whiteout conditions.  A little early for nor'easters, yeah?

Offline surfnli

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
    • Soft hated: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 07:20:41 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • lot of reports of overhead conditions these eve...

ya_bloody_wanka

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 08:09:47 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • definatly overhead sets in hamptons