Author Topic: Anyone get to see much of J-Bay this week?  (Read 754 times)

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 776
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.11.6 Mac OS X 10.11.6
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.1.2 Safari 9.1.2
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
Anyone get to see much of J-Bay this week?
« on: July 20, 2017, 08:51:23 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • It's hard because of the timing, but I caught some of it during the early morning hours. Honestly, save for the sharks, that wave is my absolute favorite. Definitely on my bucket list - not sure I'll ever get to cross it off, but hey, I can dream!

Check the replays of some of Jordy's waves, holy effin crap, that dude can surf! And of course Congrats to Filipe Toledo for the win.....great surfing round after round.

Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline podge387

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 16
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 59.0.3071.115 Chrome 59.0.3071.115
      • View Profile
    Re: Anyone get to see much of J-Bay this week?
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 08:57:21 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Timing was rough but saw enough to know which heats to replay at work. I would prefer a left, but man that wave was just perfection this week. Proof that its not always massive conditions to make even the pros happy.

Offline Mayday

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 124
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 09:06:51 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • If you have a Samsung TV you can go into their apps menu and there's one for wsl. If it's not live you can watch recaps or full day events from that day / previous days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mr. Surfermeister

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 4
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Mac OS X 10.12.5 Mac OS X 10.12.5
    • Browser:
    • Safari 10.1.1 Safari 10.1.1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:49:40 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I'm not sure what I signed up for, probably the contest notifications, but I've been getting emails every day from wsl with a link to the full recap. So I've been hiding myself from all the surf websites and not looking at anyone's scores then playing it back like it was live...

The recap seems to go away after a few hours, I think when they put the heat analyzer up... but I found if you go to the first heat of each round in the heat analyzer in a web browser - and try not to look at the scores -  then click on the youtube link when the vid starts, you get the recap for that round in youtube. It seems the Analyzer just marks ins and outs in the full stream. I hate the analyzer because you see the scores, so this works pretty well if you can try not to look.

Anyhow, Toledo's double air was pretty fantastic. Jordy, Fredrico, Toledo and JJF were all killing it.

Those sharks make me wonder how many contests they ran where no one knew there were sharks in the lineup. Was easy to spot yesterday with the drone and the detection equipment (and the crystal clear water), but you have to imagine they're pretty constantly there... remember years back (2003) when one freaked out Taj and no one believed him? They didn't even stop heats back then... Here's a quote from Taj in 2007 when Lowe saw one:

“Lowe spotted a shark, claiming it was a great white and we know they are out there so I was sort of freaked out, Burrow said. “I think they introduced a new rule today, if you see a shark, you wave your hands in the air, point at the water and head in.
    Lowe ended up winning his heat...

It's actually pretty amazing no pros got chomped in all these years... The closest was Mick, but if those sharks wanted dinner, they would have had dinner. I still remember how freaked out I was watching that live that morning...

Offline 75Jbass

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 12
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Mac OS X 10.11.6 Mac OS X 10.11.6
    • Browser:
    • Safari 10.0.2 Safari 10.0.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 01:07:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Felipe Toledo executed some of the most insane frontside/backside 360 airs I've ever seen in a contest or anywhere. Kid's got a gear that doesn't exist for anyone else. His surfing in that event was at a level I haven't seen in a long time from anybody.

http://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/263290/post-show-report-toledo-takes-instant-classic-in-jeffreys-bay

Offline SurfeRoss

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 45
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Mac OS X 10.12.3 Mac OS X 10.12.3
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 59.0.3071.115 Chrome 59.0.3071.115
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 03:06:15 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Fantasy Update for the NY NJ Surf Clubhouse - Post J-bay here are the top 3:

KduB
    Cari44
    DROPIN5

*Crackie Onassis was leading, but doesn't appear to be in the clubhouse at the moment.

Good luck, I'd love to see someone from our clubhouse win the Oahu trip.

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 93
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 10:14:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Caught a couple heats only bc my 5 yr old son wanted out on and would remind me to do so...sik wave that I would love to surf.. those sharks freak me out

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk