Author Topic: A year ago today, Irene barreled up the coast and changed the course of Pro Surfing in NY  (Read 1613 times)

Offline hunter98

• Liked: 2
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 9.0 MS Internet Explorer 9.0
    • View Profile
Had a great time that Friday for the finals.  Really bummed out I can't do it again. Lifetime memories that day.  I've been to s super bowl, olympics and world series and that day is right there with those events.  Sounds crazy but I had chills when Slater landed that huge air against Taj.  Unbelievable. 

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 776
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.7.4 Mac OS X 10.7.4
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 21.0.1180.82 Chrome 21.0.1180.82
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
Had a great time that Friday for the finals.  Really bummed out I can't do it again. Lifetime memories that day.  I've been to s super bowl, olympics and world series and that day is right there with those events.  Sounds crazy but I had chills when Slater landed that huge air against Taj.  Unbelievable. 

Not crazy at all - I talked about Slater landing that air right in front of all of us just today. "Chills" doesn't even do it justice.

Ahh..maybe one day the show comes back to town. Or maybe not. But this much is for certain: It came here once and it was spectacular - and they can never take that away from us.
Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline SURF NY 1

• Local Access
  • Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 4
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Mac OS X 10.7.4 Mac OS X 10.7.4
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 21.0.1180.82 Chrome 21.0.1180.82
    • View Profile
    • SURFBANG
If you want to relive some of the ups and downs of last year's event being cancelled and then back on check out this post from exactly a year ago today.

http://surfbang.com/contests/2011/08/city-of-long-beach-canceling-the-quiksilver-pro-new-york.html

And SeaCliff, you are are right chills don't do seeing Kelly boost and land that air any justice. What an amazing sight to see from the beach!