Author Topic: 4x4 access  (Read 12917 times)

Offline Jaxson_Dobbs

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
  • Liked: 4
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
    • Email
4x4 access
« on: March 14, 2016, 12:24:32 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • http://nysparks.com/regions/attachments/Permitsfor2016SeasonLongIslandStateParks.pdf

On the surface this appears to be opening up more access for Surfers this season. The State has not always been so kind to Surfers in the past. I grew up surfing in front of my truck at Smith Point(a County Park with slightly less restrictions on surfing)so this issue is close to home.

The erosion at Gilgo is already an issue. What does this mean for the other area's? This appears to be a pilot program and I hope it can be expanded to cover more areas where previously only Fisherman were permitted. The window to obtain the permit closes before the summer starts and my truck might not be ready by then.... Curious to see how this plays out.

Offline avaday

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 17
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 44.0.2403.89 Chrome 44.0.2403.89
      • View Profile
    Re: 4x4 access
    « Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 01:19:57 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • yet another $$$ grab by the state...the fishing permit should just include surfing...my two cents..

http://nysparks.com/regions/attachments/Permitsfor2016SeasonLongIslandStateParks.pdf

On the surface this appears to be opening up more access for Surfers this season. The State has not always been so kind to Surfers in the past. I grew up surfing in front of my truck at Smith Point(a County Park with slightly less restrictions on surfing)so this issue is close to home.

The erosion at Gilgo is already an issue. What does this mean for the other area's? This appears to be a pilot program and I hope it can be expanded to cover more areas where previously only Fisherman were permitted. The window to obtain the permit closes before the summer starts and my truck might not be ready by then.... Curious to see how this plays out.

Offline 75Jbass

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 12
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
    • Browser:
    • Safari 6.2.8 Safari 6.2.8
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 04:30:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Overselling the surfing pass last summer to weekend warriors who wouldn't know the front from the back end of a surfboard brought all the bedlam and chaos we've tried to get away from with the 4x4 pass in the first place. Heard something like 700+ more passes sold than the year before.

Jeeps, Trucks, Pickups of drivers who never dropped it in 4x4 mode before in their lives get about 20 feet before the tires start  spinning…. Start digging.

Air down! It takes 5 minutes.

Offline Jaxson_Dobbs

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 10:08:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The County Parks have Air compressors. There is usually a hose or two on hand or you can connect your own. They do get overwhelmed during peak hours. I have never seen a really powerful enough 12-volt unit. Can't imagine the State building compressor shacks anytime soon.

Offline RXlife22

• Liked: 2
    • Mac OS X 10.10.5 Mac OS X 10.10.5
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 48.0.2564.109 Chrome 48.0.2564.109
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 01:54:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Overselling the surfing pass last summer to weekend warriors who wouldn't know the front from the back end of a surfboard brought all the bedlam and chaos we've tried to get away from with the 4x4 pass in the first place. Heard something like 700+ more passes sold than the year before.

Jeeps, Trucks, Pickups of drivers who never dropped it in 4x4 mode before in their lives get about 20 feet before the tires start  spinning…. Start digging.

Air down! It takes 5 minutes.

That's really scary considering the closing of the Gilgo drive on. It was cool that they opened up two spots out east to compensate but still, everyone in the Town of Babylon going to pack in Demo? I bought the pass knowing Gilgo was closed but I'm starting to think I should've just passed.

Offline uncutproducts

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 90
    • Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 49.0.2623.87 Chrome 49.0.2623.87
      • AOL Instant Messenger - uncutproductsny
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 05:20:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • not looking good for smith point this year. beach is real thin. time to start walking again.

Offline Jaxson_Dobbs

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 06:55:55 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yeah, Smittys has  seen better days. There are frequent closers of the Outer Beach due to birds or High Tides. That's why I was interested in other options, but the issues don't seem limited to Smith Point. There are some factors that are out of our control. The SUV  craze has absolutely increased the popularity of beach driving. Perhaps limiting the traffic to those of us that respect the beach could help.

Offline 75Jbass

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 12
    • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
    • Browser:
    • Safari 6.2.8 Safari 6.2.8
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 03:24:11 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • They'll sell as many passes as they can until the deadline, it's a pure money-grab. But they're not enforcing guidelines as they did before with the fishing only permit.

I'm kinda glad the aforementioned place has it's access closed. I'm betting most of those people will go back to the parking lots of RM and JB where they belong. Simply owning a 4x4 should not entitle you to access to those places.

Offline Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 284
    • Soft hated: 24
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 03:32:03 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Suffolk county PD is on the warpath also about walking on the highway or riding a bike or skateboard . Certain Babylon spots that were easy to walk on the highway from the nearby lots are being enforced . Guys with boats still have easy access of course .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jaxson_Dobbs

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 05:37:09 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • They'll sell as many passes as they can until the deadline, it's a pure money-grab. But they're not enforcing guidelines as they did before with the fishing only permit.

I'm kinda glad the aforementioned place has it's access closed. I'm betting most of those people will go back to the parking lots of RM and JB where they belong. Simply owning a 4x4 should not entitle you to access to those places.

This is disappointing. Unless there are consequences for individuals actions the situation will worsen. I was under the impression that the State was much more strict. I hope that the State can continue to offer the Surfing Permit AND enforce the guidelines. As long as the guidelines do NOT impede surfing.

I wholeheartedly agree that simply owning a 4x4 does NOT entitle one to drive on the beach. There should be some kind of test. Those who can't follow the guidelines should  lose there privileges.
    « Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 05:46:31 AM by Jaxson_Dobbs »

Offline OldSoul

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 43
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 44.0 Firefox 44.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 09:39:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Me thinks a little birdie is going to be laying some eggs on the beach lol...

Having your vehicle is nice when you are bringing multiple boards, food and stuff.. but it sure does have its negatives. I dont mind walking a mile or so to get waves... been doing it all winter anyway ;)

Edit: The only time I see SCPD on the beach is Memorial day, July 4th and labor day... oh yea and when the 4x4 is closed hah

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:42:36 PM by OldSoul »

Offline Jaxson_Dobbs

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 09:27:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I guess I was spoiled. I hate lugging through the sand. Surfing is more then the experience in the water. Hanging on the beach with a cooler and some buds makes living here worth it. Throw in some babes and a bbq...it doesn't get much better than that.
    « Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:31:47 PM by Jaxson_Dobbs »

Offline navara

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 21
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 07:09:32 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • yet another $$$ grab by the state...the fishing permit should just include surfing...my two cents..

http://nysparks.com/regions/attachments/Permitsfor2016SeasonLongIslandStateParks.pdf

Its a way of tracking what users are buying the most passes. If they see more people buying the surf pass they open up more access like they did out east but those spots never produce good waves. Im hoping the dredging in downtown supplied some material for new sandbars further west.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline LBSurfer21

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 1
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 49.0.2623.112 Chrome 49.0.2623.112
      • AOL Instant Messenger - Footers4
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 04:00:36 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Do they really check the tire size before allowing  you to go on the beach? I just got a permit but they said you are limited to 33" tires x 12" wide is this enforced?

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 93
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 06:47:44 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Last year was a brown trout show... I just sat and watched idiots bury there vehicles again and again... It's a jeep thing I guess... Clowns... I once but pulled over on my bike.. Pretty hilarious at the time but it sucks if they're going to enforce line crazy... A bike Lane would be cool

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk