Author Topic: South Africa bucket list  (Read 474 times)

Offline Bru

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 20
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Mac OS X 10.14 Mac OS X 10.14
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 64.0 Firefox 64.0
    • View Profile
South Africa bucket list
« on: January 26, 2019, 02:01:39 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • An old friend has convinced me to bring myself and the family down to Cape Town and points east in February to celebrate a birthday.  Not the top season for southern hemi swells, but crossing fingers.  I've surfed some of the Cape area spots previously, but this time I want to make a proper dent in the bucket list.   Any intel to share regarding J Bay, or local spots around Port Elizabeth in terms of good peaks, and/or accommodations?

Offline depzai

• Liked: 0
    • Mac OS X 10.12.6 Mac OS X 10.12.6
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 71.0.3578.98 Chrome 71.0.3578.98
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: South Africa bucket list
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 10:09:36 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey Bru,

I've been to the area a few times, but I've only surfed PE so I don't have a lot of intel but here it is anyway. PE is not bad (I surfed a fun beach break called Pipe and a point break called Miller's that only works sporadically).

But the PE guys always told me to go to Jeffrey's or Cape St Francis, where it is supposed to be much, much better. There is plenty of cheap accomodation in PE, but it is a little far away, so I would definitely stay around J-Bay.

Offline Bru

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 09:03:39 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Ah thanks depzai. I actually meant to write Victoria bay instead of port Elizabeth. Heard itís pretty consistent there but not much info on suggested spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bru

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 09:47:29 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks for the tips. I got semi skunked. Summer is obviously not peak season but nonetheless JBay had good waves immediately before and after my visit - sadly just not during the week I was in the area.  But surfing wasnít the primary aim of the trip.

Did get some semi fun waves at Kommetjie near the Cape of Good Hope, and gorgeous spot, but would have been better on a log.  For that spot a 4/3 and booties would have been indicated, as even though the air was 95 the water was 52. The Atlantic over there gets cold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk