Author Topic: planning a cali trip  (Read 493 times)

Offline ward_hill

• Local Access
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
planning a cali trip
« on: October 01, 2010, 12:19:56 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • through the indulgent beneficence of my family, i am planning a surf trip to the west coast, leaving late march, early april, accompanied by my trusty canine companion.  general scheme is to take a southern route pretty much straight across, with perhaps a quick stop in the southwest before heading over to the coast. will be heading home across the mountain west, with stops in bozeman and boulder to see friends.

would like to stay about two weeks each in the malibu and santa cruz areas. plan to do as much camping as possible, perhaps giving my middle-aged body a break for a few days at a motel/inn that will accommodate dogs.  i'm doing my homework on the web, etc., but just thought i'd stop in here to see if anyone had any recommendations, particularly about pet-friendly places.  thanks in advance ...

here's a shot of Buckley checking out Earl ...

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
      • View Profile
    Re: planning a cali trip
    « Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 09:48:05 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • awww....Buckley is rad. We've often talked about driving our dogs west with us for a longer winter trip, but have yet to pull the trigger. We've stayed at the Crowne Plaza a few times - looks out over C-street. It is very dog-friendly. A little on the pricier side of the motel equation, but it's pretty nice, they have a place to stash your boards if you don't want to take them up to your room, and you can just walk right up to the point.

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 7
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 10:27:35 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Drove cross country and back once, Route 80 west, and a combo of 10 and 40 back east. Did not travel with a dog, but I can say this: Joshua Tree is awesome, and a two hour drive from the LA area. Camped there back in the day, and made a day-trip when my girlfriend and I were there recently. Facilities have definitely improved, and it's an absolutely gorgeous place. Should definitely go on your list.

Consider getting a National Park pass. I believe it is $80, and gets you into any of our National Parks for one year from date of purchase. Many parks have camping facilities.

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 93
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • cool looking dog for sure

Offline uncutproducts

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 90
    • Soft hated: 0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - uncutproductsny
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 02:06:50 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • leo carrillo in malibu. drive north, camp at emma wood in ventura, drive on the beach at pismo & camp there. hit up kirk's creek in big sur on your way up to SC. one of the most epic spots you can imagine. SC Area - tent camping at manresa, new brighton and sunset beach. new brighton is the closest to town though. fun beach breaks at manresa.

we did that trip a few years back, but from SC down to LA. took about a week. could hit mammoth/tahoe on the way out for some great spring riding.