Author Topic: Isabella PR in January  (Read 2373 times)

Offline ArchySwashbuckle

• Local (Gold)
  • Liked: 51
  • Soft hated: 2
  • Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mac OS X 10.9.4
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 37.0.2062.124 Chrome 37.0.2062.124
    • View Profile
Isabella PR in January
« on: November 12, 2014, 11:06:44 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Headed there with the lady in January, so surf and spouse friendly a plus. Ahh the days of curling up in your board bag and using a 40oz for a pillow are long gone! Jokes aside any pointers or hotels to stay greatly appreciated. Mahalo.

"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete waste of time. That is what I chose to do with my life." Dora

Offline mfl245

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 5
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 35.0.1916.153 Chrome 35.0.1916.153
      • View Profile
    Re: Isabella PR in January
    « Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 11:51:18 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Just curious, is why did you pick Isabela over Rincon? I'm looking to go this winter too.

Offline BltByKrmn

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 41
    • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 38.0.2125.111 Chrome 38.0.2125.111
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 02:41:47 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I'm not going in January so chances are there will be waves.  >:(

I'm headed out next week, looks like I'll get skunked for the 3rd time in a row.

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 01:23:50 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

I'm headed out next week, looks like I'll get skunked for the 3rd time in a row.

Do you stay in Rincon too? If you are not driving North you could be getting skunked unnecessarily. It's more exposed to swell further North. You at least have trade swell to grovel in most of the time if you don't have a real swell.

This could start a lifestyle choices/limitations debate but... I only do surgical strikes to PR. If I see big blobs on the models, preferably two of them back to back so I get two swells in a week, I book everything 1 -3 days before i leave. Do I pay more for my flight? About 200 dollars more. Do I score? Is it worth it? Yup, totally and haven't been skunked since i started doing it this way. I also stay in Isabella, like i said more exposed to swell means bigger. Of course sometimes wind is an issue, I do drive down to Rincon or other spots down the coast. 
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:41:29 PM by Looseness »
    It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline BltByKrmn

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 41
    • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 04:54:42 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

Do you stay in Rincon too? If you are not driving North you could be getting skunked unnecessarily. It's more exposed to swell further North. You at least have trade swell to grovel in most of the time if you don't have a real swell.

This could start a lifestyle choices/limitations debate but... I only do surgical strikes to PR. If I see big blobs on the models, preferably two of them back to back so I get two swells in a week, I book everything 1 -3 days before i leave. Do I pay more for my flight? About 200 dollars more. Do I score? Is it worth it? Yup, totally and haven't been skunked since i started doing it this way. I also stay in Isabella, like i said more exposed to swell means bigger. Of course sometimes wind is an issue, I do drive down to Rincon or other spots down the coast. 

I stay further north and check everything from Marias to Middles, past 2 times have even been with locals.  Still skunked.  :( [size=78%] [/size]

Offline DERPASURFA

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 20
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 06:55:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 2 for 2 on my trips to PR (if you consider 5 flat-knee high and two overhead days scoring).  Going back in early March this year.   It's crowded and inconsistent, but easy to do and warm.

Offline ArchySwashbuckle

• Local (Gold)
    • Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mac OS X 10.9.4
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 38.0.2125.122 Chrome 38.0.2125.122
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 11:09:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yup.
    Sounds like a familiar place?
    could you imagine flying to NY for a surf trip?..ha!
    I'll probably get skunked. Going for 9 days but only a few will I be able to surf  (hear that whip sound cracking)?

"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete waste of time. That is what I chose to do with my life." Dora

Offline Ryan

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 22
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Been going for more than 15 years, about 20 times maybe more. Some years three times other times skip a few years at a time. First time I went got offered to buy the surf and board for $170,000 before the renovations, seemed  like a lot of money at the time while I was still in college drinking natie lights. Anyway found that certain months are always better and less crowded and some years just don't come together. Never been skunked always caught a least a head high swell somewhere, just looks at the swell and a map. Ya it's crowded, ya it's been overdone, but if you a bomb and have that wall in front of you  it's so worth it.

Offline ArchySwashbuckle

• Local (Gold)
    • Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 10:57:49 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

Yea man, that sounds like a wise plan. This is more of a vacation, so we planned in advance. Roll the dice...and see what happens.

Offline Smith St. Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 37
    • Mac OS X 10.11.6 Mac OS X 10.11.6
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 55.0.2883.95 Chrome 55.0.2883.95
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 09:32:21 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey there,

Heading out there early next for a solo hit and run. I've always stayed in Rincon but thinking of staying in the North this time and know a lot of new places and such up there.  Looking for any lodging recommendations.  Ideally a place with small surf community but not picky. 

Anyone out there Sun thru Wed and wants a surf buddy PM me. 

peas,

-j