• Browser:
  • Firefox 34.0 Firefox 34.0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cuba
« on: January 15, 2015, 06:24:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Travel restrictions will soon be gone. It's a big ole island, albeit not in the best spot. Still, I've always wanted to go and figure if I do, bringing a board down there might be worth it for the experience.

Has anyone ever been?
    Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality. - Bertrand Russell

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 322
    • Soft hated: 12
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: Cuba
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 08:16:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Travel restrictions will soon be gone. It's a big ole island, albeit not in the best spot. Still, I've always wanted to go and figure if I do, bringing a board down there might be worth it for the experience.

Has anyone ever been?

I spoke with the Lopez clan,Pete, Shea, and Cory not Gerry and Vince. Pete said it took a lot of waiting and wandering to score, if I recall after three weeks Shea bailed, Cory and Pete scored, Cory bailed and Pete scored better solo, he stayed a good three months.  If you want to go, I can put you in touch with the proper people to get you there and make the most out of your trip via a friend of the family, not the Lopez.
    "paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

Offline abcsurf

• Liked: 5
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 39.0.2171.99 Chrome 39.0.2171.99
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 12:04:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Actually went there to try and surf back in 2012. Two weeks, no waves, then the day I flew out, saw 6-8 foot peelers from the window of my airplane.

Here's a story on it from the NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/12/sports/cuban-surfers-face-hurdles-before-catching-waves.html?pagewanted=all

If you go and want to be in touch with the Havana Surf guys send me a PM.

Offline ArchySwashbuckle

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 56
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 09:42:58 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I remember reading something SJ about Dora bitching about the lack of surf in Cuba... I'm sure at the very least it gets trade wind swell, and when it's good it's real good. Feel like we will be seeing an SJ article about Cuba soon enough....
    "Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete waste of time. That is what I chose to do with my life." Dora