• Mac OS X 10.7.4 Mac OS X 10.7.4
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.1.7 Safari 5.1.7
    • View Profile
Cali
« on: August 04, 2012, 06:52:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Just booked two days at a campsite in Big Sur for the middle of this month. Looking forward to doing a little hiking with my wife and daughter but a surf detour would be nice.

Can anyone recommend a motel near a surf spot in that neighborhood?
    "Take care of your knees, you'll miss them when they are gone"

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
      • View Profile
    Re: Cali
    « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 10:00:40 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • that's awesome. i grew up in those parts and big sur is one of my favorite places on the planet. that said, it's a pretty intimidating ocean. fairly sharkey, tough access (cliffs), rocky and kelpy. depending on swell angle, i would head up to carmel for a session there (if it's working). it's such a pretty spot, a lot more mellow than big sur, in my opinion, and your wife and daughter can walk around town while you surf, or go for a walk on the beach. lots of spots to grab a bite to eat afterwards, too. there are a few little hotels in the area, but it's not a far drive from big sur, so you could just stay in your campsite and make a little outing of it. the drive itself is gorgeous.

also, grabbing a drink / dinner at nepenthe inn at sunset is one of my favorite things. they have a big fire pit there, too. big sur has expanded a lot since i grew up there, so i know there are a lot more food options now, but i always try to stop at nepenthe if i have the time.

Offline Kyle

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 205
    • Soft hated: 14
      • View Profile
    Cali
    « Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 05:50:49 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I was just in Carmel. Freakin amazing. I want to die there. markE, go there!!!!  Otherwise if there's size, check the points between Carmel and Monterey. Lots of lefts. Mad rocky and beautiful. I think I'm going to make a winter camping trip there.

Offline Mark E

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 57
    • Soft hated: 4
    • Mac OS X 10.7.4 Mac OS X 10.7.4
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.1.7 Safari 5.1.7
      • View Profile
    Re: Cali
    « Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 08:55:08 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • You guys are getting me stoked. The only reef I have surfed is out east and that was 8years ago. I guess I an going to be a reef kook. Probably break my ankle wading out.
    "Take care of your knees, you'll miss them when they are gone"

Offline Kyle

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 205
    • Soft hated: 14
      • View Profile
    Cali
    « Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Two things:

1. If you want to go camping near Carmel: there is a camp ground right between Carmel and Monterey. Can't remember the name. I think it starts with an A. Yeah, I'm smart...
    2. I met a lady who rents out her guest cottage. Supposedly small but maybe would fit fam of 3. Txt me (718-809-1029) if you're interested.