Author Topic: Barbados  (Read 2106 times)

Offline MikeM

• Local Access
  • Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 17
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 43.0 Firefox 43.0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Barbados
« on: January 13, 2016, 08:30:17 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Looking for any sort of intel on Barbados.  Don't get to travel much so want to make the most out of this family trip.  Staying near Maycock's Bay Feb 14-23  My son and I want to surf.  The girls want to lay on the beach and be safe.  Any experiences at Maycock's or other Barbados adventures?  Should we be bringing our pintails mid February?  Ever order a new board and have it shipped to a travel destination?  Are there plenty decent shops to get a board there?  Zeds?  Dread or dead? 

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 206
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    Re: Barbados
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 03:18:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The west side really needs a big north swell (like the one that's hitting now) to work.  Absent of a north swell, you'll probably be driving down to South Point or over to Soup Bowls everyday, which isn't that bad if you have a car, or grovelling at Maycocks/Duppies (which can be fun).
    So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.11.1 Mac OS X 10.11.1
    • Browser:
    • Safari 9.0.1 Safari 9.0.1
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The west side really needs a big north swell (like the one that's hitting now) to work.  Absent of a north swell, you'll probably be driving down to South Point or over to Soup Bowls everyday, which isn't that bad if you have a car, or grovelling at Maycocks/Duppies (which can be fun).

Yeah, Maycocks is a decent drive from South Point, and it's probably just as long over to Soup Bowl. That said, it's a wonderful (albeit slightly expensive) island - you're going to love it there.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline NNW lite

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 24
    • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 05:06:52 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Its a safe island with really mellow locals so you can't go wrong with whichever beach is working. Even the sidewalk pharmacists are discrete and not too pushy. Driving on the left takes some getting use to but a rental and softracks is recommended and the island is small enough to go wherever the forecast points to. My friend rented from dread or dead and they had a good selection and drill hall/brandon's down the road is worth checking. The fish fry which I believe is every friday is worth checking out for dinner. Oh and for some reason camouflage is illegal there. Have fun

Offline supertaco

• Liked: 1
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 47.0.2526.111 Chrome 47.0.2526.111
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 09:30:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • My first post here.  Used to go there every year from late 80's to 1996 (my last trip).  Going with my family to Costa Rica (Tamarindo) in March for a week but seriously considered taking the gang to Barbados.   Personally, I was never a fan of Maycocks.  The water always seemed murky and the rights ran off too fast for me, a goofyfooter.  Although, I loved the rural nature of the place.  It's probably changed in the last 20 years.  Get a car and bring soft racks.  Driving on the left side of the road always seemed easier after a Banks beer or two.  Soup Bowls is a great wave but was getting excessively crowded by the mid-1990s.  There are other spots including Parlours just south of Soup Bowls.  Cattle wash just north had decent beach break.  South point is a nice mellow wave.  Brandon's is one of my favorites, it's a left, but it gets very crowded after school/work as it is in the city.  Others have mentioned the west coast gets good on north swells.  Everything lights up on the west coast in that case.  Gibbs is my favorite, but there must be 20 named spots and another 20 that don't get surfed too much but are real quality waves.  You have to go body surfing at Crane beach at least once on your trip.

I never rented a board there.  It used to cost $25 to fly a board.  Now I have to budget that cost into my trips.

Good place to bring the family.  Beware of the late night drunkies who are locales. 

Enjoy.

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
    • Mac OS X 10.10.5 Mac OS X 10.10.5
    • Browser:
    • Safari 9.0.2 Safari 9.0.2
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 12:24:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Where would you stay if you knew there'd be a good north swell? Also, how do the north/nw swells compare to PR? same size, or do you need a bigger swell to get waves in Barbados on the west coast?

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 206
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Barbados is about half the size of PR on a northwest swell.  Swell deterioration aside, the big drawback on Barbados vs PR is customs. TSA is more understaffed than the Rockaway CVS.

If you go and know a NW swell is on tap, the west coast might be a worthy splurge because getting to the west coast from the south coast during rush hour is an ordeal because of Bridgetown traffic.

We tried on Friday (before our flight) but it took 30 minutes to get through the first traffic circle and were forced to turn back to knee high Freights versus chest-head high Batts Rock.

So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Offline jammy

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 51
    • Mac OS X 10.6.8 Mac OS X 10.6.8
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 47.0.2526.111 Chrome 47.0.2526.111
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 11:30:57 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • NLITB

Offline ankleslapper

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • Mac OS X 10.10.5 Mac OS X 10.10.5
    • Browser:
    • Safari 9.0.2 Safari 9.0.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • TSA is more understaffed than the Rockaway CVS.
    absolute gem.  carry on...
    the A is a small price to pay

Offline MikeM

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 17
    • Browser:
    • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 06:10:39 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The trip was incredible!  Both for me and my son as surfers and for my wife and other kids as a family.  While it took a couple of days just to find the spots and get used to the roads enough for our dawn patrol routine, we scored over head waves in the 4 to 5 star range!  Added blessing the south coast turned on and it was incredibly beautiful and head high perfect a-frames.  If you're going to Barbados for the first time, pm me for some intel.