Author Topic: See Julie Goldstein's work at the Ann Coen Gallery TODAY July 11th in Surf City, NJ!  (Read 647 times)

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 754
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.1.3 Safari 6.1.3
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
Awesome event at the Ann Coen Gallery featuring the work of Julie Goldstein (of Pine Surf Shop fame) in Surf City starting in just a couple of hours - check it out! 5-10PM TONIGHT - get there if you can!!

From SmashSurf: http://smashsurf.com/ann-coen-gallery-to-host-solo-exhibit-of-julie-goldsteins-womens-lifesaving-league/

ANN COEN GALLERY THRILLED TO HOST SOLO EXHIBIT OF LONGTIME FRIEND AND INSPIRATION, JULIE GOLDSTEIN

(SURF CITY, NJ) – June 30, 2014- New Jersey-turned Southern California artist, Julie Goldstein, returns home to LBI this summer to celebrate her most recent works with Womens Lifesaving League, a highly-anticipated solo show at the recently opened Ann Coen Gallery in Surf City on July 11. AnnCoenGallery.com

Womens Lifesaving League explores some of the first American women involved in swimming, athleticism, surfing, and lifesaving. Goldstein will also unveil her new apparel line.

“I’ve been drawing from true stories that took place in NYC from 1901-1911 and revolve around the crew that the girls created called The Women’s Life Saving League,” says Goldstein, “SWIM WITH ME (SWM) is my new collection of apparel and accessories that are 100% organic and completely made in Southern California. The apparel’s unique colors are created by using all natural vegetable dyes including lettuce, turmeric, and onion,” she explains.

Goldstein grew up summering on LBI; days filled with surfing, swimming and rowing. After receiving her MA from Columbia University, she returned to create multimedia works on paper and fabric, mixing lithographic and woodcut printmaking techniques with sewing, embroidery, and other traditional women’s arts, even launching her own apparel company called Perfect. She participated in the 2007 international group shows Roxy Jam, Biarritz, France; The Greenroom Festival, Japan; and Festival Almasurf, Brazil. She was also selected to participate in Virgin Mobile USA’s RE*Generation Gallery as well as The Happening art/film/music festivals in Newport Beach, CA, and New York City. She and husband, Mark Tesi, opened Pine Surf Gallery in 2008, which dramatically burned to the ground after one summer, but not before inspiring a new creative movement on LBI. Since moving to California, Goldstein has taught at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, collaborated with Roxy, Alterative Apparel, BEANS (Japan) and created SMW.

“I’m very excited about my Summer 14 capsule collection and want women to feel connected to nature and feel their true self when wearing these garments,” she adds.

Womens Lifesaving League is a special event for Goldstein because of her relationship with Ann Coen, going back 15 years. Early on, the two women were often featured in the same art shows. They would surf, work, and take road trips together. Coen has a photographic history of Goldstein’s career and was featured in the very first show at Pine. The Ann Coen Gallery opened in June of this year with the same creative spirit they have shared.

“10 years ago I contemplated leaving my job as a high school art teacher to pursue my career as an artist. Ann gave me words of wisdom that assisted in my decision that would change my life. Since then she and I have supported each other, as our businesses and passion for our crafts took off.  We share similar aesthetic and a deep love for our community, the ocean, travels and the people that surround us,” said Goldstein, “I look forward to exhibiting in the space of someone I admire and respect  and am so thankful to exhibit my new work and product line at The Ann Coen Gallery.”

The artist reception will run from 5 to 10 p.m. on July 11. Goldstein’s recent prints and apparel will be available for sale and the show will hang through July 20.

About Ann Coen Gallery
Ann Marie Coen is a freelance photographer of twelve years. She first picked up a camera traveling around the world, then became a staffer for the Asbury Park Press before starting Ann Coen Photography. She has become one of the top wedding and portrait photographers at the Jersey Shore. But while brides and families love her photojournalistic style, she still finds time for plenty of travel, music, culture, wildlife, and projects. Ann Marie Coen has been part of numerous art shows in New Jersey and NYC and her work has appeared in editorial work across the board. The Ann Coen Gallery is a creative space to meet with clients as well as showcase her work and the work of other exciting artists.

MEDIA CONTACTS:
Ann Coen Gallery
Anncoengallery.com
Juliegoldstein1.com
1418 Long Beach Boulevard,
Surf City, New Jersey 08008
609-339-9233
Jon Coen
[email protected]
Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]