Author Topic: Competitons  (Read 266 times)

Offline samsurf3

• Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 32.0.1700.77 Chrome 32.0.1700.77
    • View Profile
    • Email
Competitons
« on: May 03, 2014, 03:30:53 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I am 15 and was thinking about entering a contest soon in New York. I am not extremely good surfer, about an intermediate, but just wanted to try doing a contest with out looking really bad against the other kids. How good should I be before entering a contest so I at least have a chance?

Online Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 52
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
      • View Profile
    Re: Competitons
    « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 10:41:51 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey Samsurf3, you have a kinda tough question there because I think most folks here don't want to set you up for a bad time. I'll try and help you. First by intermediate you mean you can catch and ride waves fairly well and do some ok turns? That's not bad if you are there.

I'm not sure what contest you are gonna go for but it could go either way from what I've seen as far as the level of skill of your competitors. Most likely there will be a fair number of other 15 year olds that will have some pretty solid skills, but if you go into it with the idea of trying to have fun, and just give it your best shot, it could be pretty cool experience and you might like it even if you don't win a single heat. You get to watch some good surfers in the different age groups and learn from them, meet a bunch of cool people. Overall these things are usually pretty fun.
    Here's an idea, maybe you go and watch one contest to get an idea of your competition? Explain your situation to your parents, tell them what you said here and hopefully they will take you to just check it out one time. If it looks like you'd be ok doing it, do another contest by the same organization so you'll probably surf against the same people you saw in the one you watched. 

Good luck Samsurf3   

It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline surfdoc

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 11
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Pay it forward...
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: Competitons
    « Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 11:04:08 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I sort of agree. I think as long as you expect nothing and have fun doing the contest you will find out that your better than you thought. I went up against the top guy in my age group at one time and I beat him pretty bad. It's all about fun and confidence. Just do it. And remember one thing....no matter how hard you train it all comes down to confidence. And anyone can be beaten on any given day. I have been on both ends of the stick on several sports. But I must say I win more than I lose, and if you win or advance don't get cocky. That's not cool. Have fun and good luck.
    « Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:25:50 AM by surfdoc »
    No matter how hard you train!! It all comes down to confidence..